Sensor / Guage questions

wiseman

I have purchased an mechanical water gauge (autometer) and am curious to know the best way to install it. My concern is that by this being an aftermarket guage with its own readout guage and sensor, I will have to remove the stock temp. sensor to install the autometer sensor. So, I am bypassing the factory (ECM) temperature monitoring system for the car. I would like the water temp. to be read by the computer as well as by my autometer guage.

1. Is there any means of monitoring both systems almost the same way as I have read people do for the their oil pressure guages? (By Adding a T fitting into the oil pressure sensor line)

2. Does the green tach wire under the hood near the alternator, attach to a connector? Mine is not connected to anything.

Go search over at gnttype.org or even here There are 3 separate temperature senders on the Buick V6 only one of those are used by the ECM. The on on the PS front manifold only drives the idiot light. You can do with out it.

Tach wire is not hooked-up on stock dash configuration
x2 on water temp gauge; swap sensor & feed wire through grommet in firewall (speedo cable)
pretty common & easy addition
Do_O

Go search over at gnttype.org or even here There are 3 separate temperature senders on the Buick V6 only one of those are used by the ECM. The on on the PS front manifold only drives the idiot light. You can do with out it.

I found the sensor location layout on the gnttype.org. I also checked the ecm sensor diagram, and there is only 1 sensor for the coolant sensor on the front , driver side. The other sensor is for the fan. I guess i will have to get rid of the idiot light sensor to install the autometer gauge even though I wanted to keep the factory sensor hooked up. Thanks

I am finally got back to having time to installing the water temp. . I am curious, will it work if I tap a distribution block and put both senders into the block then the block into the manifold? I guess that I am asking, if the sending units have to be in the direct path of the water (which would be inside the intake)for them to work? If they are in the custom block, will the water flood into the block so that the sending units will get a reading or will the water just pass by the inlet opening for the dist. Block?

You have to bleed it, in the summer it usually works well winter air temps. lower the reading a bit.

What size threads on the bulb sensor?

I used a 3/8 npt T mines on the 218 or so degree fan high temp sensor hard to fit in there and turn the fittings.

You have to bleed it, in the summer it usually works well winter air temps. lower the reading a bit.

What size threads on the bulb sensor?

I am using an autometer gauge, that uses a 1/2 male npt adapter that serves as a female sealing nut. I am not sure what thread is on male end.of the sealing nut. the bulb is like 1.25in long.

I used a 3/8 npt T mines on the 218 or so degree fan high temp sensor hard to fit in there and turn the fittings.

Yeah, I see that it will be a pain to install the guage especially with extra fittings with the small space. What type of guage do you have? One that uses a bulb or a sending unit? Do you have any pics of your install that you can post? Thanks

Autometer mech. for both oil and water done years ago. Ill dig up pics. maybe if i find them.

watertemp.jpg

That's a nice pic, exactly what i needed. Looks like you used a 1/2 NPT to 3/8 NPT reducer/coupler on the vertical section that recieves the autometer probe, I think. Are all 3 ports on the T, 3/8 NPT?

Yup all 3/8 npt.
I'd do it on the idiot light side not the high speed fan switch side however.
I bleed it via the bulb fittng which is a high point after the car is hot while running usually.
Every two years when i change the antifreeze.

Car 2 got electrical setup, car 3 will get nothing since the scammaster tells you water temp. easy enough.

Yup all 3/8 npt.
I bleed it via the bulb fittng which is a high point after the car is hot while running usually.
Every two years when i change
Yup all 3/8 npt.
Every two years when i change the antifreeze.

Ok, sounds good, I will try it out. I think I have my idiot light (coolant sensor) and fan temp sender in the wrong place. I have the sensor below in the front manifold (with the connector facing the radiator). This one has 2 wires connecting to it.from harness. It was stated that I should use the single green wire sensor, but I have this one installed right under the throttle body (pointing vertical up) should I switch them before I add the tee?

Last question, which sensor below is the fan control sensor.and which one.is for the idiot light, just I can be sure.

Attachments

• img.jpeg
    img.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 57
  • a20792a1336a9cc57573fb_m.JPG
    a20792a1336a9cc57573fb_m.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 47
  • a20791f129087370f51c2f_m.JPG
    a20791f129087370f51c2f_m.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 49