Vigilante 5 disc or PTC 9 1/2, what should I get?

There have been some removed because people were not happy with there performance.
The difference is that Dusty wasn't the one who spec'd
them out.
You want a PTC convertor and want it right call Dusty direct and order one,the PTC convertors are really combo specific and he knows what works and will not guess at what you need.

I stand corrected. :(
Need to get my facts straight b4 opening my mouth ........ actually my keyboard ;)

I've had a few that have been removed because of the performance but it's a very small #. These cars are some of the hardest to spec converters for. They are still very much street cars and opinions vary on what's streetable or if the spool is fast enough, etc. I do occasionally miss a stall but there's also a lot of variables that can determine how a stall will work with a specific car. Like Russ said, this is the reason for the stall change offer. Once data is shared a change can be made to get it dialed in if it needs it. Majority of the time a stall change isn't needed.

We do have several vendors carrying these PTC units now. Some are spec'd by me, some aren't. Hartline, Keith Sofa and Len Freeman all sell converters spec'd to an individual build by myself or Chris Hogeland. These are the converters setting the records. There are others who have chosen to bypass the Twisted 6 specs so not all PTC converters are created equal.

Mike at Full throttle also carries a line of my 10" converters which are also custom built to certain turbo's.

how much torque & stress does a vig lockup put on tranny?

... One more thing to add is that the PTC is much easier on the tranny, than the lock-up feature of the multi-disc. It could save you on the need for some of the billet internals in the tranny, as well as possible tranny failure.

The arrival of the PTC has definitely made the choice harder...

K.

I picked a multi-disc Vigilante lockup (to be installed) and I have a rebuilt tranny (NOT a full-out race rebuild). How much torque & stress would the vigilante lockup converter put on my tranny for normal (95%) street driving?

thanks... dave

I picked a multi-disc Vigilante lockup (to be installed) and I have a rebuilt tranny (NOT a full-out race rebuild). How much torque & stress would the vigilante lockup converter put on my tranny for normal (95%) street driving?

thanks... dave

No more than a stock converter. You'll be fine.

He was refering to the violence of locking it at WOT on 10 and 9 second cars.

We do have several vendors carrying these PTC units now. Some are spec'd by me, some aren't. Hartline, Keith Sofa and Len Freeman all sell converters spec'd to an individual build by myself or Chris Hogeland. These are the converters setting the records. There are others who have chosen to bypass the Twisted 6 specs so not all PTC converters are created equal.

Mike at Full throttle also carries a line of my 10" converters which are also custom built to certain turbo's.

Hopefully buyers will not be convinced by these vendors that chose to try and cash in on the hard work and reputation you and Chris have worked so hard (as well as all the customers who run them) to build. I think one must pretty much have no conscience to not work with you and Chris on this, and be able to sleep at night.

Buyers, be sure to ask if it's a Twisted-6 PTC converter when buying.

Sorry for the hijack.

I put in a 9.5 N/L PTC as well from Dusty. Nailed the 3400 stall right on the money. On the highway, it is maybe 200 rpm over my locked 9/11, and WAY tighter when you are pushing it. This is the first converter that I could idle up my driveway like a stocker and not rev the shnat out of the car to get it moving.
Good stuff!

Hopefully buyers will not be convinced by these vendors that chose to try and cash in on the hard work and reputation you and Chris have worked so hard (as well as all the customers who run them) to build. I think one must pretty much have no conscience to not work with you and Chris on this, and be able to sleep at night.

Buyers, be sure to ask if it's a Twisted-6 PTC converter when buying.

Sorry for the hijack.

I expected it to happen sooner or later when the word got out. Been into these cars long enough to know how it happens.

We ONLY sell PTC convertor's spec'ed by Dusty. He has ton's of experience in this field. I could make more money selling another convertor or perhaps going around Dusty with PTC. We don't do this because, it is NOT what is best for our customers.I know my limitations and Dusty has the experience and knowledge that my customers can captalize on.

We do have several vendors carrying these PTC units now. Some are spec'd by me, some aren't. Hartline, Keith Soffa and Len Freeman all sell converters spec'd to an individual build by myself or Chris Hogeland. These are the converters setting the records. There are others who have chosen to bypass the Twisted 6 specs so not all PTC converters are created equal.

I wouldn't have it any other way... As always I appreciate the help Dusty!!

HighPSI said:
We ONLY sell PTC convertor's spec'ed by Dusty. He has ton's of experience in this field. I could make more money selling another convertor or perhaps going around Dusty with PTC. We don't do this because, it is NOT what is best for our customers.I know my limitations and Dusty has the experience and knowledge that my customers can captalize on.

100% x2...

K.

I know my limitations and Dusty has the experience and knowledge that my customers can captalize on.

Not just can,They have!
Look at your sig!

Same story as the AMS boost controller.
all the power in the world is useless if you cant program it to get down the track.

Ptc

Dusty and me have work hard on the combo of the 9.5 and tested them in alot of cars to get it were is today.Some guys try to side step us but there not geting the Twisted 6 Converter .

very happy with my Vig 5 disk 0 2 years great mod.

I called Precision a few year's ago and they said the 3200 9.5 Inch single disc would work good with my PTE-44 Turbo.My Car is almost 100% driven on the street and I would be happy in the mid 11's if I ever get to race it.

I called Precision a few year's ago and they said the 3200 9.5 Inch single disc would work good with my PTE-44 Turbo.My Car is almost 100% driven on the street and I would be happy in the mid 11's if I ever get to race it.

IMO a 2800 should get it done.

It does ok but it doesn't spool instantly.Could be due to my Racegate style set up.

Try running a stiffer spring or crank down on the adjustment or both. Just back off the boost till you see where it is after changing the springs or the tension on them. Running a stiff spring with an RJC style adjuster to the bottom of the gate should yield good results after you get the spring and tension right. If you have 40 psi back pressure, a 15 lb spring and 20 psi (manifold pressure) on top of the gate the valve will be off the seat. Even slight opening of the racegate will bleed off a lot of exhaust. It flows a lot more air than the stock style even at minimal lift.

Try running a stiffer spring or crank down on the adjustment or both. Just back off the boost till you see where it is after changing the springs or the tension on them. Running a stiff spring with an RJC style adjuster to the bottom of the gate should yield good results after you get the spring and tension right. If you have 40 psi back pressure, a 15 lb spring and 20 psi (manifold pressure) on top of the gate the valve will be off the seat. Even slight opening of the racegate will bleed off a lot of exhaust. It flows a lot more air than the stock style even at minimal lift.

I had a Boost controller inside my car but it no longer works for adjusting Boost.It stays around 18lbs of Boost which is fine.Its a very old wastegate set up and I would rather go with a THDP as most Buick Turbo guy's think my car will spool the Turbo faster.Some guy's though,dispute that a Racegate will give slower spool.I do have a RJC valve that I am planning on using with the THDP.

I had a Boost controller inside my car but it no longer works for adjusting Boost.It stays around 18lbs of Boost which is fine.Its a very old wastegate set up and I would rather go with a THDP as most Buick Turbo guy's think my car will spool the Turbo faster.Some guy's though,dispute that a Racegate will give slower spool.I do have a RJC valve that I am planning on using with the THDP.

If the gate stays closed till the target boost level is achieved it wont make any difference which dp you have. Ive ran a racegate on the crossover in the past and it made no difference on spoolup. Of course i had it dialed in with the correct spring and tension and the signal to the underside of the gate was slightly delayed. I actually got a spike of about 1psi over my target the way i had it.

I just have a Stainless Steel 3 Inch Downpipe.There's no leaks at or near the Racegate also.It doesn't spool like a stocker and the D5 was stalled to 3000 but I heard that 2800 was the biggest stall one could make out of the stock converter.

I though I would give an update on my PTC 9.5, as I finally got my powerlogger and 6.0 W/B tracking chip all setup and after figuring out how much my mph was off by using a GPS and the powerlogger I made a couple of passes. Im running a 3.23 and a 26" tall tire. So at 5460rpm the car was doing 126.5 mph, putting my efficiency right at 3.4%. I was sceptical of the low % numbers I saw, but am happy to report they are very attainable. I also backed it up with another run that shows right around 3.5%. I can't wait to get the car to the track.:cool: