Valve springs?

D&Gbuick

These cars did'nt seem this complicated 30yrs ago
Replacing valve springs, and looking for suggestions. Stock car minus minimal bolt on pieces. NOT a race car. Seen the Kirbans, and heard the comps were "clicky" Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks guys

If you aren't going to measure them Id leave the stock ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read over & over that the stock springs were weak, and should be replaced.
I have very little history on the car, and was looking to eliminate any potential problems.

I have read over & over that the stock springs were weak, and should be replaced.
I have very little history on the car, and was looking to eliminate any potential problems.[/QUOTE

you would want to check the installed height on the springs and pressure at that height.. blindly just tossing in springs without knowing each is a recipe for poor results..
i.e. know the spring rate at the installed height ... and ensure you have met the installed height as the spring sits in the head

and I agree... Ive seen stock springs totally shot on cars that @ 14 psi perform okay .... turn It up to 20 psi and it just floats the valves

Yes that is true . If u are going to swap springs it is necessary to measure your install hight and seat pressure and open pressures. If anyone knows about springs it's Bison .

The only way to do it right is to measure everything and set the poundage exactly as possible.

That being said, many many, MANY people over the years have shotgunned ''LT1" springs into their heads and got positive results.

...and it's the comp lifters that are ''clicky'', not the springs. Personally, I'd stay away from Comp. It seems their QC went to shit when they moved their spring manufacturing to Mexico. Try and find the springs you want from PAC. They're still good.

Reading thru this thread, and i have a question to ask as well. ( figured this would be as good as opening a new thread )

I recently put the Comp 980 springs in my car. My car is similar to the OP car above. Since the install the motor seems to not be as smooth as it was before. It runs the same as before, no other issues other than the sense of a slight vibration. I've even gone as far as to verify the firing order didn't get mixed up on reassembly. Power is good, just the slightest vibration.

I did not do any of the above mentioned measuring upon installation. All the threads i'd read in the past had not meantioned that.
Thoughts ?

Reading thru this thread, and i have a question to ask as well. ( figured this would be as good as opening a new thread )

I recently put the Comp 980 springs in my car. My car is similar to the OP car above. Since the install the motor seems to not be as smooth as it was before. It runs the same as before, no other issues other than the sense of a slight vibration. I've even gone as far as to verify the firing order didn't get mixed up on reassembly. Power is good, just the slightest vibration.

I did not do any of the above mentioned measuring upon installation. All the threads i'd read in the past had not meantioned that.
Thoughts ?

Re-check all the plugwires / plugs .. sounds like you have a misfire

I will, cause i agree it's just like a couple swapped wires. Hopefully it's just that silly mistake.

Check your wires too. Not unheard of that the boot can fail when removed from the plug.

Alright, triple checked the wires today. Unfortunately, they are correct. Any other suggestions ?

Alright, triple checked the wires today. Unfortunately, they are correct. Any other suggestions ?

did you check the actual wires individually to make sure they aren't misfiring or just checked they were installed on the correct plugs and coil towers

Plugs have less than 1k miles on them. The wires probably 5k. I only checked the wire routing. I don't believe it to be a constant misfire, it just doesn't feel like that. I only feel it at lower speeds, and it's more of a vibration than the solid chunky feeling of a misfire. You also don't hear the tick/crack sound of the spark jumping somewhere outside the boot.

Tori,
Check the injector wires as well. It's easy to swap 5 & 3 if you aren't paying attention. Once you get this issue sorted out, you'll be ready to turn up the boost! Those 980 springs do a good job! And Earl Brown, they are still made in the good ol USA. (y)