valve springs replace

steve kowalchyk

im replacing stock valve springs with new 100 # ones, there is a shield around the stock springs,does this shield have to be put back around new springs or can it be left off.i am using a spring compressor tool with heads on engine.tool is tightened down on top of spring,should i use a bar type tool.let me know

Moved you to the engine section for more answers, not the "how I did it" section. Sorry but it belongs here so you'll get more info.

[QUOTEtool is tightened down on top of spring,should i use a bar type tool.let me know[/QUOTE]

That's the tool I used. It was a PITA getting off the spring closest to the firewall on the passenger side but it went on pretty easy.

What does the tool look like and where can I get one? I am going to replace the springs on my engine while it is still in the car but not sure what tool to get. Thanks.

the tool i used looks like a small narrow c-clamp that hooks onto the bottom of the springs with two hoohks, as you tighten down on the top it compresses the spring to get the locks out,i first had to pry off the shields that were around the springs,you can find a picture online off the tool if you type in valve spring tool.also on the passenger side of the motor i had removed the air conditioning unit and placed a cover over the hole on the firewall, this gave me much more room;tool worked fine on driver side.hope this helps'tool # kd 2078