Vacuum vs powermaster

Meno19

My search button is not working what's the difference in these I know under boost the powermaster is a little harder to brake under is vacuum a safer cheaper alternative. Just like to get some thought on this as I know people have switched over to vaccum brakes!
Pros and cons please

If you go into the brakes forum there is a lot to read and a lot of opinions . I have vacuum but the pm def held my car better . Why are you thinking about getting rid if the pm

The number one reason people switch to the vacuum system is reliability.
Its drawback is launching at a drag strip.

Powermaster is is better for launching at the dragstrip.
They are unreliable and are known to fail with little to no warning.

Yeah the search feature is not currently working for me either. Keep trying a search and you will get too much info that is how "popular" this discussion has been over the years. My very strong opinion is to convert to conventional vacuum brake system just like on the '89 Turbo Trans Am. I became a believe about 20 years ago when my Powermaster failed WITHOUT any warning and only by shear luck was able to avoid a serious collision. When these cars were newer there was an argument about keeping the car original but that argument has pretty much died off except for those whose goal is a concours condition Turbo Regal. Even then replacement parts for the Powermaster are difficult to find and then not cheap. I would rather have my original front clip than the original brake system. Just convert to the vacuum brake booster and master cylinder from the regular V6 Regal of that same model year. You will need to tap into a vacuum source either off the vacuum block on top of the intake or "T" into the PCV vacuum line. In my opinion and experience my braking has always been better than in was with the Powermaster. To be complete, the conversion to the Hydroboost system which was on the 1984 Turbo Regals is also a great replacement option but more expensive initially. Again, wait for the search function to return on the website and you will have hours of reading on this topic at your disposal.

The number one reason people switch to the vacuum system is reliability.
Its drawback is launching at a drag strip.

They are unreliable and are known to fail with little to no warning.

What he said /\

I've had Vac brakes for 15 years now But the PM is better when it is right.

Thanks to all who replied. I've had my GN for almost 4 years now and only driven a couple times a year. My brakes are not bad by any means but when I do have my kids in my car I would not want the PM to not work one of these days. Is it just a simple switch over like nwarky was explaining? Thanks everybody

The most difficult aspect is swapping the pedals out. If you are one of our larger boned brethren it is especially annoying to squeeze in under the dash. Removing the driver seat helps immensely when doing it-- that takes 10-15 minutes but well worth the time.
The Master cylinder and booster are pretty straight forward, a bench bleed and a proper 4 wheel bleed procedure needs to be done.
I always suggest upgrading to the braided brake hoses which helps pedal feel and replaces 30 year old hoses.

The most difficult aspect is swapping the pedals out. If you are one of our larger boned brethren it is especially annoying to squeeze in under the dash. Removing the driver seat helps immensely when doing it-- that takes 10-15 minutes but well worth the time.
The Master cylinder and booster are pretty straight forward, a bench bleed and a proper 4 wheel bleed procedure needs to be done.
I always suggest upgrading to the braided brake hoses which helps pedal feel and replaces 30 year old hoses.
Nope no worries about being a larger boned body lol. What braided lined do you recommend. I'm pretty sure most of the vendors have them. So any vacuum system from a 80s regal would work? What do powermasters go for? Any idea?

I went with the Hydroboost off an '84 instead of Vacuum. Braking power is night and day to the PM setup. You can hold boost at the line too. The only downside now is that the Hydroboost units are getting harder to find. Then again I know the vacuum setup will be in short supply too soon enough. If this one craps out I will spend big bucks on a Hydratech and be done with it.

Nope no worries about being a larger boned body lol. What braided lined do you recommend. I'm pretty sure most of the vendors have them. So any vacuum system from a 80s regal would work? What do powermasters go for? Any idea?
Any 82-88 G Body. Jegs and Summit also have the brake lines but they were listed under Monte Carlo last I looked and not Regal, but they are the same.
I would just save the Powermaster if you ever decide to sell the car, or you can sell it to Kirban Performance as he is always looking for complete cores.

[QUOTE="87GNSteve, post: 3562710, member: 11878"........Its drawback is launching at a drag strip.

They are unreliable and are known to fail with little to no warning.[/QUOTE]

In over 25 years at the drag strip with turbo Buicks, I have always applied the brake before I build boost, so why would using the PM, or vacuum or manual be any worse or better for locking the brakes before building boost?

I went with the Hydroboost off an '84 instead of Vacuum. Braking power is night and day to the PM setup. You can hold boost at the line too. The only downside now is that the Hydroboost units are getting harder to find. Then again I know the vacuum setup will be in short supply too soon enough. If this one craps out I will spend big bucks on a Hydratech and be done with it.

Hydroboost parts for an 84-85 TR seem easy to find and are pretty inexpensive on places like Rock Auto. They have the hydroboost unit for ~$125 amd master cylinder for $60. The lines are also readily available.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's the route I'm going to go once my PM starts to become unreliable.

In over 25 years at the drag strip with turbo Buicks, I have always applied the brake before I build boost, so why would using the PM, or vacuum or manual be any worse or better for locking the brakes before building boost?

Probably from a drop in vacuum and a check valve not up to snuff, I have had several vacuum braked cars some would hold and others would push right through the lights.....I tried every technique and my experience seems to be the consensus...But then again I have only been racing TBs on and off since 1989.
And I had different cars with all four systems manual, PM, Hydro, and Vac. I like Vac the best.

I have good luck with my powermasters but I do pamper them and have a good understanding of how they work. Realistically if you want to run one that's gonna have to be the way to do it. They do work well when they are right.

Why would the vacuum brake setup ever be in short supply ? The only used part i bought from the local wrecking yard was the brake pedal when i converted over to vacuum brakes. The brake booster/master cylinder and vacuum hoses i bought new from the auto parts stores. I used the block on top of the plenum as the connecting point for the hose to attach and run to the brake booster check valve,it worked best connected there. The brake booster and master cylinder came with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for everybody's input I'm leaning towards going the vacuum set up just for reliability for my kids when they if and when they are in the GN. Any more pros and cons feel free to post

I say that because over the last few months the supply of parts for cars our age and older is dwindling big time. Friends and I have noticed that you can't just walk into any parts store and get a booster or master for these anytime you want. It took me 2 weeks of going store to store to get my Hydroboost replacement a couple months ago. Then when I wanted to get a booster for a friend and were told that the supplier (A1 Cardone) is out of stock. Autozone, O'Reilly, and Napa all use A1 Cardone as their source. Apparently I found the last booster / master combo for a late 60's full size last month. For the pedal assy, you can hunt and peck and find one for sure, but at least around here G Bodies are scarce. I haven't seen a single G body in the pick a part junk yards in a year now.

That being said looks like the boosters / masters are currently available at warehouses. It's odd how one month they are in stock and the next nobody can get them. Pick one up fast!

Yea I havnt looked into getting a set up yet but I should check into the junk yards and a couple auto places and see what they have