Vaccum route with external gate....

PhilthMonger

Being that the external gate has two ports, what exactly is the top port doing if the gate operates on the lower port....testing the diaphragm, it seems that the upper port is not doing much. am I mistaken in my thinking or do I need a lesson in external gates??? HAHAHA anyway, I was also debating on wether or not to use the stock solenoid or just run a manual controller. any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks

Try It.

PhilthMonger,
The top port is used to adjust your boost up or down. It is feed by the outlet side of your regulator valve that usually has a zero to ten psig range. The bottom port is feed by the compressor side of your the turbo and is actually what keeps your turbo from overboosting by opening the deltagate valve. As the deltagate valve opens, exhaust gases bypass the turbo and limit boost. Increasing pressure from the regulator valve increases boost by pushing the deltagate valve back down. Very adjustable.

Only one recommendation, make sure your chip has an ignore knock retard feature for the first two or three seconds (i.e. extender, R.A., etc.). In my experience, false knock causes the boost to spike higher than desired. Think it has something to do with the higher exhaust gas temperatures caused by extreme timing retard (20+ Degrees). Not an an issue if you don't have false knock.

Try it.
Richard

Solenoid

I don/t think you can use your factory solenoid to control boost. It must stay pluged in electrically or it will get a service eng. lite