Time for a new downpipe or keep messing with the GN1 external?

Adjusting the controller does nothing....even with the controller removed completely and just a single hose going from turbo nipple to wastegate, which should just run off the 10# spring, correct? Even that way it was spiking to 35

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Have you tried a different gate?

I run the same pipe with a turbonetics evolution waste gate great boost control
Mobile larrym

Mike, I've done a compression test and everything was between 138 and 148 on a cold engine. The attached photos show how the controller is plumbed.

From the nipple of the turbo to a T. Then it goes into the controller and into the side of the WG, the other part of the T goes to the top port on WG. I've tried it both ways and gotten no difference.

View attachment 228629
View attachment 228630

I don't think that's hooked up right .. the line going from the T should feed the BOTTOM port on the wastegate ... the adjustable dial portion should feed the top port

Haven't tried a different gate....for what a quality gate costs, I can just get a RJC pipe and know it will work.

Adjusting the controller does nothing....even with the controller removed completely and just a single hose going from turbo nipple to wastegate, which should just run off the 10# spring, correct? Even that way it was spiking to 35

So your saying you ran a single vacuum line from the turbo compressor STRAIGHT to the BOTTOM port ( where the wastegate bolts on to discharge pipe) and you got 35 psi ?

Having the hoses routed like in that picture I can see it generating 35 psi because your putting boost pressure from the compressor to the top vent port which over comes the spring pressure of 10 psi with only 10 psi of boost ... so with the regulator turned up or down .. makes no difference the spring will never exceed the applied pressure from the opposite side.

try it hooked up direct from the turbo compressor to the BOTTOM port ( port closest to the downpipe) and see if that brings it down

Haven't tried a different gate....for what a quality gate costs, I can just get a RJC pipe and know it will work.

If you hook up a RJC pipe the same way .. you will have the boost elevated too ! I don't think its the downpipe

Turbo89, I did go from nipple to side port, it held steady at 8 PSI. Hooked boost controller us as you said and it wouldn't go past 10 PSI even when turned all the way up. Will I need the different springs that they sell for GN1 wastegate? I'm trying to achieve 23-25 PSI.

Turbo89, I did go from nipple to side port, it held steady at 8 PSI. Hooked boost controller us as you said and it wouldn't go past 10 PSI even when turned all the way up. Will I need the different springs that they sell for GN1 wastegate? I'm trying to achieve 23-25 PSI.

SO now you have the boost @ 8psi ... Great ...

2 things you can do get a bigger spring for the Gate .. like a 15 psi spring .. this will be the lowest boost you can achieve then and use the controller to go up from there .

OR you can hook up the regulator INLINE from the turbo compressor to the wastegate bottom port and see if you get the adjustability you want ...

I cant say for sure if this will get you the boost you desire but try it .... hook the controller inline and start with the regulator FULLY open and starting closing it until you see boost rising..
I am pretty sure you can get your 23 psi that way

i had mine running with both setups you have.i ended up taking that valve thing out ,and ended up with the rjc inline and a 14# spring in the gate.i was having issues with the backpressure actually pushing the gate open.the rjc really helps with spoolup,it doesnt open till you get to the boost you have it set at,and then both open instantly.
i tried both last wed,and my 60' was a dog,i stuck that rjc in and you could feel the response difference,big time.

the problem is you connected the gate wrong. First run a hose from the turbo to the header side of the gate or what we call the bottom, no T, no controller, this should give you around 15 PSi or whatever spring is in gate, if it does then cut that hose put in the T, run the T to the controller and then from the controller to the top of the gate, then you will have regulated boost on the top and full pressure on the bottom so you can control boost. let me know what happen with just step 1 and how much boost you get

Mike, as stated above, I ran it from turbo to side port and got 8 psi. Which is what spring is allegedly in the GN1 pipe.

If I'm running the SD chip, should I just use the factory WG solenoid to control boost? I'm new to this stuff, especially tuning. My last 2 LS3 cars were much simpler to mess with.

so there is nothing wrong with the pipe or the gate if you get 8 PSI. the problem is you have the controller connected wrong. You can either hook it up the way I explained or you can get a MAC valve (we have them) and use the SD2 to control it. The connection process is the same so is the performance, If it was me I would just reconnect the controller and get it working.

as said you had your variboost hooked up incorrectly and you were forcing the gate shut while limiting its ability to lift with the regulator
just swap the lines on the gate from what you have now

heres the diagram of how it should be plumbed
boost%20control%20instructions.jpg

update on your overboost?
i have the same pipe,last weekend i pulled the pipe and turbo opened the holes quite a bit and now i can control my boost again.

It appears to be under control, haven't driven it much but the tires go on tomorrow.

i have the same set up and can take some detailed pics of how mine is hooked up if need be

I had to run mine like this,
(1) port on turbo to bottom of boost controller
(2) side port on controller to bottom of wastegate
(3) top port on waste gate venting to atmosphere

This was how I had to route the vacuum lines on a Hallman Pro boost controller. I tried the "T" way, different hose etc. Boost was nut, now it's perfect and holds steady where ever I want it. I started out at 10 lbs and gradually worked my way back up to 24 lbs. with it routed this way.

I see you have a different controller, disregard everything I typed . . .

It appears to be under control, haven't driven it much but the tires go on tomorrow.

If you still have issues, switch to CO2 controlled wastegate pressure. Kevin Hess is running that same pipe with CO2 and is running his desired boost and controlled. Plus he uses the ramp function on the AMS1000.