V6 Engine Cradle

MichBC3

This could be an easy one.

I want to store a turbo 3.8 engine in the corner of the garage and would like to buy a suitable engine cradle/frame with wheels. All I see at places like Summit Racing and Jegs are cradles made for V8 engines (like Chevy and Ford).

I am unfamiliar with the engine mount locations on the Buick turbo V6. Are they in the same location as on a small block Chevy?

I know the lower bellhousing bolts are in the same location... but I'm not sure about the motor mounts.

Looking at the Pontiac stands here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1065/?image=large, I think our Buick V6's may fit... or at least be darn close.

sum-g1065_w.jpg

Engine cradle

I just built one to carry my freshly built motor home in. I basically framed in the oil pan with 2x8's, then set that 'box' on two 2x8's layed flat, about 3 feet long. I screwed some hooks in to tie the motor to, and set it on a wheel dolly. I could also add casters to each corner if I wanted. 1 length of 2x8x10 should do it, cant beat the price.

Engine Cradle

Thanks for the wooden construction advice. That's an option. I'd still like to buy a steel one though. These '89 Firebirds came with small block Chevy 350's as well as the 3.8L turbo engine of course. So it seems like that is a strong indicator that an SBC cradle could be used. Maybe I should take this question to the Turbo T/A section.

Thanks for the wooden construction advice. That's an option. I'd still like to buy a steel one though. These '89 Firebirds came with small block Chevy 350's as well as the 3.8L turbo engine of course. So it seems like that is a strong indicator that an SBC cradle could be used. Maybe I should take this question to the Turbo T/A section.

i have dozens of engines in storage at my shop------years ago i designed a simple stand both for an engine with and without a trans attached-----since they are purpose built they fit perfect-------if you call me tomorrow to remind me to take a pic i will post it so you can see it--------i can sell you one for very reasonable price------all you got to add is a set of casters-------shop # is 336-570-0341...........RC

make one- either make one out of some 1" square tubing, or modify a readily available (and cheap) small block Chevy one to work with the different mount locations. as already stated, the lower bellhousing bolts are in the same location on a Chevy V8 and Buick V6, so it's just a matter of modifying the front "arms" on the stand that bolt to the motor mount boss on the block.

I have 3 or 4 of those cheap $50 engine stands that I have picked up at car shows over the years. They work great for storing engines- Bolt up the engine and throw a big plastic bag around it, and your good to go!

John

I have 3 or 4 of those cheap $50 engine stands that I have picked up at car shows over the years. They work great for storing engines- Bolt up the engine and throw a big plastic bag around it, and your good to go!

John

3.8 V6 Engine Cradle

Thanks A.J. You have the answer that I was looking for. Though the price is a little steep, that's what I need.

I measured up the engine mounts on a Small Block Chevy vs. my 3.8 and there is no compatibility.

All the best, Bob