used car prices

machinegun

Is it me or have used car sellers started smoking way too much crack?

I have been trying to buy a good reliable vehicle for weeks now with little luck.

Either the stuff needs alot of work, is worn out or just been abused and they think it is worth 5K

Seems like even a piece of junk they want 3K for it.

I have not really looked for a car in the last 4 years but these prices seem way high considering the economy.

I see ads like drives nice but needs engine or runs great bad transmission.

I dont mind spending a little less and getting something that needs wheel bearings, brakes or ball joints but 3K for a cavalier that needs all 3 is way too much.

Just frustrated, where are the days that in a week you could have a good reliable car and not send 10K?

this just sux

Prices are way up at the auction right now too. Lots of people buying 2k-5k cars with their tax returns, inventory is WAY down.

I just helped a friend sell a 99 chevy 1500 for $1400. To be honest, I wouldn't have bought it for more than $600. Lots of rust and running issues. It will need a new bed, hood, grill, parking light on the pass side, and the spider injector replaced. With the crushing of old cars that went on a few years ago the ones that are left out there are bringing premium prices since the pool has been reduced.

I looked for a car for a friend a couple years back, anything that wasn't complete junk was 3K +. I remember getting here in '98 and buying basic transportation for $400-500. Same price I paid for car like that for years. Now you can't get a car that runs or is whole for that price ! I think that wonderful cash for clunkers hurt us all.

If you want to do the work you can piece a car together. Guy I work with bought 2 BMWs off craigslist; one had a good drivetrain/bad body and one had a good body/bad drivetrain, same model cars. Got them both for cheap and is doing the swap.

Inventory of used cars is tight due to everyone ending leasing vehicles 3 years ago. It will probably be 3 more years before there is a decent supply of used.

Inventory of used cars is tight due to everyone ending leasing vehicles 3 years ago. It will probably be 3 more years before there is a decent supply of used.

DEAD NUTS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cash for clunkers made it worse, but it alone didn't have as big of an impact as the bankruptcy/lease deals. There used to be 900+ factory program cars at every manufacturer auction. Now there's 150-200. I'm talking about the 1-3 year old off lease, ex-rental, and "brass hat" cars. They dried up during the bankruptcy BS. This has trickled down, and made every beater worth more. Tax season won't help you, everyone has their tax returns and is used car shopping, so you have lots of competition as a buyer. Thinking about all the factors, this just may be the worst possible time to buy a used car. The market is a full 180 degress from 07, when a program car with 20-30k miles was worth 50% of it's sticker price when new. Now you are almost better off buying new (depending on the vehicle and rebates). With employee pricing at my job, I could buy a NEW dodge minvan for about the same money as I'd pay for 15k mile rental at the sale, and I pay $300 over the hammer price at the sale.

I think we are in the worst of it, it will slowly get better over the next 3-5 years, but will likely never get back to 07 used car values. If you can hold off, do it. It's gonna save you a ton. At least get out of tax season. We have sub-5k dollar cars FLYING off the lot right now.

I deal with this same feeling everyday from customers.... Look at it from the dealers point of view... How much are new riding lawnmowers? $900-on up right? Scooters are usually $1000 and up... However people come in to my lot all the time and want a nice dependable good running with cold a/c for $1000-$1500 bucks... Really I ask, I have told a few they sale riding mowers for that at lowes....

Cars aren't $15k new anymore... Anything decent is $25k and up... Parts are outragoues... In NC a car, should have to, has to pass inspection before a sale. Well you take a car with 150k miles on it and you got to expect to spend $1000 or more getting it up to decent running standards if it hasn't been taken care of very wel... Most people decide to get rid of cars, espically now a days, when it has problems... So a dealer has to get the car, fix it, and still make a profit... That is HARD for a $2K-$3k car...

Perfect example, I sold one last week for $2500 cash. Sold it AS IS like it is... Came back and wanted a repair done for FREE that was about $450 and had NOTHING to do with the running of the car... I tell my customers take my cars and get them checked by YOUR mechanic. That way if something goes wrong you can blame him not me... Well guess who gets blamed anyway...

There are less used cars per capita for sale right now than in a LONG time... Less supply, higher demand, plus higher cost from the beginning = higher prices period...

The other reason they are so high right now is as stated above tax season... When people pay no tax all year then get a check back for THOUSANDS they don't care what they pay....

Great topic.....

About a month ago I started to look for a beater for the winter rather than keep driving two SUVs I have. Mainly because of the amount of miles I drive in any given week As one might suspect seeing my name I do have some good connections at car dealers etc and I would cruise the area where their trade ins would come sit before they (clean/docter them up).....

Another trick is to watch if you pass the same dealerships every day is to track something you like and see how many weeks it sits not sold as dealers as a rule get a little antsy when cars sit 60 days or longer...generally prices start to drop in $500 chunks. Miles was not a major concern as cars today with proper care easily surpass 100,000 and more with no major problems mechanically with some exceptions.

You read on the internet what problems certain engines have and try to avoid them. Craigs list besides being entertaining can sometimes yield a great buy. I tend to avoid the humorous ones, and ones that seem to be written in anger, and ones where it appears spelling was not their strong suit.

The trick is to track a particular car or model that has fallen off the first few pages of craigs list and is still for sale. That seller will more than likely start to drop their price. I wanted a beater/winter car that looked really nice, never smoked in, was garage kept,
and checking with my mechanic thinking a GM car with the 3800 motor is about as billet proof as you can get.

You then got to decide do you want to spend under $2500 and spend a few bucks on repairs, or gamble and spend $3500 and up and HOPEFULLY it don;t need nothing major. I went the cheap route since we have connections for getting parts wholesale. I got lucky, kept track of a certain car that had fallen off the first pages of craigs list...matter of fact the seller didn't even have any one look at the car which played in my favor.

A deal was struck (I got him down $600) and he was even nice enough to deliver the car to my house later that nite. Car was garaged kept one owner, spare never used, window sticker in the glove box, almost a full tank of gas, records of recent repairs, everything worked except the GM CD player, biggest thing it needed was rear struts. Idles perfect, no engine noise when cold. Interior is as close to perfect as I have ever seen showing minimal wear at most.

Probably gets 30% or better gas mileage than either of my SUVs do. Car has 135,000 miles on it. With gas prices inching up finding cheap older cars that get good mileage is going to be even tougher soon. Not to mention full size values on SUVs will start to drop even more come Spring.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

In my youth, $200 to $500 bought a decent car two I had in particular a 1950 Ford business coupe $200 and a 1956 Crown Vic I paid $500 for. Youngsters probably have no idea what a Crown Vic is.....

In in some ways its better to buy privately, for several reasons, you see the car in its true form as most sellers don't go over them or detail them much for selling them, you get 2 sets of keys dealing with the actual seller, and usually the seller will be truthful.

There is little value to a buyer in any $5k and under cars right now. The prices that are being paid for chit boxes is outrageous right now. People are paying the price for junk so until they stop chit used cars will keep pulling way more than they should.

Supply and demand, cash 4 clunkers killed off big pieces of the supply. Then we have the general public with the fill it with gas and run it until it doesn't and then get another that destroys another big chunk. Most have no clue how or why they would ever maintain a vehicle. It is an appliance to them just like a toaster or a refrigerator. The guy who can buy two and make one is the minority and even then he runs into neighbors like mine who call the city on him, but expect help when theirs needs attention. I am glad they don't salt the roads here. I can just keep replacing parts instead of whole bodies.

I deal with this same feeling everyday from customers.... Look at it from the dealers point of view... How much are new riding lawnmowers? $900-on up right? Scooters are usually $1000 and up... However people come in to my lot all the time and want a nice dependable good running with cold a/c for $1000-$1500 bucks... Really I ask, I have told a few they sale riding mowers for that at lowes....

Cars aren't $15k new anymore... Anything decent is $25k and up... Parts are outragoues... In NC a car, should have to, has to pass inspection before a sale. Well you take a car with 150k miles on it and you got to expect to spend $1000 or more getting it up to decent running standards if it hasn't been taken care of very wel... Most people decide to get rid of cars, espically now a days, when it has problems... So a dealer has to get the car, fix it, and still make a profit... That is HARD for a $2K-$3k car...

Perfect example, I sold one last week for $2500 cash. Sold it AS IS like it is... Came back and wanted a repair done for FREE that was about $450 and had NOTHING to do with the running of the car... I tell my customers take my cars and get them checked by YOUR mechanic. That way if something goes wrong you can blame him not me... Well guess who gets blamed anyway...

There are less used cars per capita for sale right now than in a LONG time... Less supply, higher demand, plus higher cost from the beginning = higher prices period...

The other reason they are so high right now is as stated above tax season... When people pay no tax all year then get a check back for THOUSANDS they don't care what they pay....

Thank You!! Someone who has a great understanding of the situation. The rest of you can blame President Obama, your parents, the media, or the bagger at the supermarket. You know...everyone but yourself... as usual!

IDK... seems like there are some decent deals down here.

Supercharged Regal GS with 70K went for 5K.. 78 Regal with a a 73 455 going for 1500 (would've picked that up, but wanted a Motorcycle instead).

Thing is, you need to be QUICK... because once a good deal hits, it's GONE that day.

I bought a 92 salvage car (cutlass ciera) which need a hood and header panel at an auction. Payed 480.00 for the car, 300 for the fees, 250 in parts. Had to pay 50 for a state inspection + taxes. Just for a winter beater. Only good thing was it had 80,000 miles and was a little old ladies car from Florida. (no rust) Now if I had to pay someone to fix it, whats it worth? Kelly blue book says 2000 for excellent and 1375 for fair.

It's pretty bad with trucks too. Try finding a decent diesel 4x4. We probably looked at 20 trucks last yearned had to move up on price.

I dont really agree with new car prices. I mean the prices have not changed that much on new cars in the last 3 - 5 years, however used car prices have gone up drastically.

I do agree there seems to be less good used cars out there, and more used junk.

I agree that the 500 - 1000 dollar car just does not seem to be out there, on the other side that 500 dollar car now wants 2500 and it is just not worth it.

I dont mind putting a little work and money into a decent car but I dont believe that the 97 cavalier with a blown head gasket and 200K is worth 2K.

I do understand about the trucks, some of those prices are ridiculous for what you get. It took us almost 6 months and going to georgia to get mt dually diesel. Now a days what I bought for 17K is a steal it seems

It is getting to the point it is almost worth it to just get a cheap new car and be done with it, I just dont want to make payments and dont have 15K laying around.

I have always had used cars and always had pretty good luck with my purchases, just seems there is not much to purchase and what decent there is to purchase it is not worth the asking price.

Just good to see others have had the same issues.

And oh yeah, dont get me started on cars fro clunkers, that #^$%^$ should be used for target practice, that commy anti american peice of %^&%&%&*!!!

I got a 95 2 dr cavalier z24 that runs great, 200k and price is $2500:D

I looked for a used car for the past two months and decided on a new car. I just looked for a new one that was ready for a body change so the incentives were right. I just didnt get paying 12k to 16k for a car thats 4 to 5 years old