Upgrading electronic componenets?

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Hey guys, I've got a nice chunk of change that I am about to put into the car and I'd like some direction. This car is NOT a drag car, it is a DD/tinkering toy that I might take to the track here or there.

First, I love my car on E-85... I just can't imagine going back unless I went with 93/Alky. The real issue is that I'm averaging 10mpg, and it doesn't seem to matter much how I drive. I also figured out my BLM issue. It's my MAF. When Idling it reads 04 and BLM is 137. Some days it idles at 06 and sure enough BLM goes right back to 129-132. I figure this isn't helping my MPG.

So what MAF/Translator should I go with. I want simplicity, reliability, and no matter what I want to always be able to just get in my car and drive. This is my DD, and I don't need it leaving me hanging on the side of the road when I've got a date in the car. Luckily it's only left me stranded with my roommate, but I still got us home haha. It was some odd heat related electrical issue back when it was 110 this summer, and no I suspect it was the MAF. I've already got a 3in MAF pipe, and I wouldn't mind upgrading, but I am trying to keep this thing "stock appearing" or "stock configuration" at least for now. I'm still running the stock neck I/C, although I may upgrade this season.

I would also like to start data logging/tuning more. Right now all I've got is my scan master, butt dyno, and TT chip. I was thinking a WB-02 would be very nice, and possibly an EGT guage as well. I'd get a kick out of being able to run around with my laptop "tuning". I know it sounds lame, but I like to tinker and this would just be something else to tinker with.

I've thought about speed density several times, but if I ever sell the car I'd want to put it back to a MAF/chip setup just for peace of mind. These cars have a big enough learning curve, no sense in overwhelming another beginner.

One more question, I am getting a set of new TA replacement headers/crossover. Does the EGT/WBo2 go in the DP or headers? I am having the headers coated, so I'd want to get the bungs welded before I send them off.

Also yes, I'm dropping bigger injectors and a new fuel pump as well. This car is about to get a whole new life haha.

Summary(because I ramble):
- What MAF/Translator
- Datalogging?
- EGT?
- WBo2
- plug-n-play is preferred.

any other "required" tuning tools, sensors, or gauges I should invest in now?

Powerlogger and wideband is what I would do. You shouldnt need any more for a daily driver.

Sounds like you have some good plans in the works.
First observation though is your mileage. What were you hoping for? After all, it's well documented that fuel mileage suffers a 30% hit when running E85, so keep that in mind.
Your 137 BLM is not causing the mileage issue. The BLM is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, and since it's NOT pegged at 150 it's still working fine and maintaining your stoiceometric air fuel ratio.

OK, with that said, if you want to switch to a better MAF and Translator and want to keep life simple I.E. plug-n-play then the Basic Translator would be best for you, along with a LT1 3" MAF.

Next, datalogging. Obviously the best available these days is the Powerlogger. There's nothing on the market for the stock GN computer that can touch it. And the powerlogger along with the Scanmaster are a deadly pair!!

EGT? WEll, you could, but for better accuracy and tuneability on a DD, a Wideband O2 is your best bet.

As for the wideband, there are many available. IMHO the best one's available for user friendlyness and accuracy are PLX, or AEM. I run PLX. BTW Widebands are ALWAYS after the turbo, and preferably at least 18" downstream in the downpipe.

As for any other gauges or whatever, a good boost gauge is a MUST!! Compound (shows both vacuum and boost) is best.

Happy tuning!!

Thanks Dave!

Yeah I am going to replace my boost gauge asap. I'm obsessed with vacuum leaks now, and I really want one that shows vacuum too. The only reason why Im looking into the EGT setup is that my neighbor got one with a used turbo kit he bought and he's not planning on using it. I may just put it on the parts shelf for something else.

Why choose EGT vs Wideband. Powerlogger has inputs for both. Although wideband is now a pretty expensive proposition since the FTSS EGT amp went away. I think Amps are now around $100 each.

WHile you're datalogging you'll want to do fuel and alky pressure too.

What sensors would I need to data log fuel pressure? Basically if I do this all right, I want to remove the guesswork from turning this car. I was to know as much about what's going on as possible. I'm not running ALKY (yet), but it's a possibility in the future. I love E85 especially the low end torque gains, but if I cant get my MPG into a more reasonable range I might just switch to Alky injection.

This car's got a few minor issues that are all going to get fixed as soon as I get a spare day. I'm going to replace all of the vacuum lines and check valves first. I've got a boost least tester, but I've never had good luck with it. Idk if I have a major leak somewhere, or what but the whole system wont hold pressure for very long at all.

THere are several but Julio Don (Razor) has a kit that's pretty much plug and play.

Do you need a second transducer for PF signal to the PL or can I just parallel from the gauge transducer (autometer pro comp lite)?? Also how do you log boost (which transducer)?? thanks Sam

Powerlogger uses 0-5v inputs. I don't think autometers's gauge senders use that format.

To log boost you need to tap into the signal from the MAP sensor. The best map sensor of course would be a 3 bar so you can read more than 15# of a 2 bar.