Unexpected KILL that whipped you in a race?

I got beat badly by a Honda Del Sol in my low 11 second Buick. The Sol was turbo'd and had lots of nice parts on it. We were doing highway pulls from 60 to 120. My car trapped 119 at the time, the Honda trapped 121. We did like 3 pulls. I lost big each time. After that, the Honda driver told me all about brake boosting on the highway. Basically ride the brakes and go wot. After that, the race was a lot closer, but he still got me.

Let me tell you a story of how I learned weight was important. Back in '84 my dd was a factory big block '68 Camaro SS 4 spd. It had a decently built 396 running 11:1 with a good cam, a holley d-p, and a rock crusher plus I could drive it pretty well. I guess I never really ran up against a real serious car but for everybody I did tangle with, it was never much of a contest. I would say it was easily a low 13 second street car. The only guy that came close was a friend of mine with a '70 Nova SS with a built to the hilt LT-1 and a 4.56 rear.

Most of the single, impromptu back road contests were by power pole lengths. Anyway there was this guy who owned a Corvette and a Malibu that I had outrun several times who showed up in a MG. Not a Midget or a MGB but one of the older bodys that looked like a '40's sedan. I knew he had a V-8but I figured probably a 350 or maybe a 302 Ford. We lined up and when he said go, he left me, about 4 lengths before I got out of first. I started running him down but before I could get any closer than his back bumper the 3 poles were up. I found out later that it was a fiberglass kit with a warmed up 400 Ford power plant. It weighed about 2300 pounds with the driver in it. I had him on the power but he was so light I just couldn't keep up with him off the line. If it had been a full quarter I may have caught him but a loss is a loss.

BTW; I still have the Camaro. Restoring it is going to be my retirement project. Never even heard of a turbo back then but now that I know I'm thinking about a TT 500+ ci power plant for any other MGs I might run into.

I got beat in my Limited when it was a 13 second car by a Omni GLH. It was a freeway pull from 60 to 100. Lost by a car length.

I bet hunderds of people have that same story, what sleepers those were...and easy to build big power!!

Not fast but funny

Freshman in college 1996 , I salvaged a 85 nissan truck. Was told timing was off. I pulled valve cover and brother was cranking. Something looked funny. It was!!! Cam was broke at first journal back. So found a 50$ z20 motor out of a nissan 200sx. Swapped intake and access over and had a running truck. It felt kind of peppy but carb was in need of rebuild bad. First trip to town at a stoplight a geo metro was beside me. I gunned it and the metro walked off!!!! I am talking a 3 cyl car NOW!!!!!! I didnt expect it to be fast but a metro!!! Anyways it got me through a couple of years and 100,000 miles of college. I learned that a non flashy beater can fly around and hardly ever get stopped. I would ve been arrested if I drove my Iroc, or Gn, or one of the mustangs I owned that way.

Almost happened today!

On the tollway and a dude in a new 911 Turbo kept giving me the nod. I was on a quarter of a tank and my alky is really LOOOOOOOOW. Rather than squirt out a HG for no good reason I decided to wave him on.

Would he have beat me at a 55 mph roll, I don't think so. Better to err on the side of caution.

In 87 I had a modded 85 Mustang GT. In the day it was one of the fastest in my area. I ran a GN from a stop light. The guy knew how to hold the brake and build boost. It was fender to fender the whole run. His car was stock! Not long after that I had my GN. It was a real easy conversion! :wink:

Craig

Your GN killed me back in the day like 96. I had a 84 Z28 that was pumped up pretty good 355 chebby holley 4barrel 3.73 gears and you waxed me real bad. Thats when i knew i was gonna own a buick. i got mine in late 99 as a X-mas present to myself.

Also my Eagle Talon Tsi seems to catch a few peeps off guard :) of course it's not stock. 16g turbo spearco FMIC megasquirt ecm 255lph fuel pump @ 16psi it makes 270 WHP with 276 WTQ. I have hacked the exhaust off and A\added a glass pack so it sounds like its own it's last leg. till i mash teh go pedal

Craig

Your GN killed me back in the day like 96. I had a 84 Z28 that was pumped up pretty good 355 chebby holley 4barrel 3.73 gears and you waxed me real bad. Thats when i knew i was gonna own a buick. i got mine in late 99 as a X-mas present to myself.
Where did we run? Man, my memory sucks!

In high school I had a small block El Camino. Ran into a GN with a roll bar on the street and got worn out BAD.

I've been into turbo Regals ever since. :biggrin:

I ran a very stock notch 5.0 with my PT52 set up and lost. He got the jump and I spun pretty badly. I got up to his door and then my motor bogged down. I know the bogg killed me but his car was much quicker than I expected. Fueling issues FTL.

On a side note it's a good thing it did bogg there was a cop on the other side of the bridge writting a ticket:eek:

Lets see....
My 01 Tahoe walked on the highway by an SRT-8 Jeep on the way to Osceola last year. He was like half throttle while I was on the floor then waved bye and took off.

My 01 Aurora beat by a 300c on the highway when they first came out. It's BigDawg70 on V8Buick moms car.:redface:

My Old GN was taken out by a Mercury Marauder at a stoplight. I left and the trans started making an awful grinding noise. I had two friends in the car so I made a U-turn and went home. That was embarassing!:p

Had my 235-60-15 BFG street tires on and had a ricer Honda stay a car in front of me for the first two gears of no traction! Thank God third gear shot me out two cars in front and he let off. Had my MCSS buddy with me on that on and he laughed as hard as I did after the fact.:eek:

Lost to my buddys SBC 89 Caprice at the track. The GN statred breaking up on the big end and he nipped me...:mad:

OK CHICAGO GUYS, START SPILLING THE BEANS... OR I WILL DO IT FOR YOU...(BRER RABIT):D :D

I was driving my 69 Nova one day and saw this 4th gen Z28 zipping thru traffic around people and we met at the light, I didn't look at him but I decided on green I'm going.

So I drop the TH350 on my Nova down to L1. Light turns green. I take off and start taching up to 4k, then shifting to 2. Meanwhile mr. LT1 (I think it was) Z28 just walks off and leaves me.

I never saw him again to ask about his car. But I learned that day having a camel hump headed 350 with a 670 Holley, an L82 cam, a stock stall and a 2.73 rear end sucks for racing.

The other time I was driving my 71 Nova. Some chick in a 2000 Trans AM rolls up and wants to race me at the light. Light goes green and we take off.

This time I'm shifting a Saginaw 4 speed manual. 350 engine with a 600 Holley and I think 3.55 rear gears. We stay neck to neck until I tried to shift into 3rd gear...and the damn thing didn't want to go into 3rd!! :mad: :mad: Meanwhile ms. 2000 T/A leaves me.

At the next light she looks at me and puts her hands up as if "I don't know what to say about why my car just smoked yours". I'm pretty sure she was driving an automatic.

Oh well, that's my 2 street races in which I lost. :redface:

Lets see....
My 01 Tahoe walked on the highway by an SRT-8 Jeep on the way to Osceola last year. He was like half throttle while I was on the floor then waved bye and took off.

My 01 Aurora beat by a 300c on the highway when they first came out. It's BigDawg70 on V8Buick moms car.:redface:

My Old GN was taken out by a Mercury Marauder at a stoplight. I left and the trans started making an awful grinding noise. I had two friends in the car so I made a U-turn and went home. That was embarassing!:p

Had my 235-60-15 BFG street tires on and had a ricer Honda stay a car in front of me for the first two gears of no traction! Thank God third gear shot me out two cars in front and he let off. Had my MCSS buddy with me on that on and he laughed as hard as I did after the fact.:eek:

Lost to my buddys SBC 89 Caprice at the track. The GN statred breaking up on the big end and he nipped me...:mad:

OK CHICAGO GUYS, START SPILLING THE BEANS... OR I WILL DO IT FOR YOU...(BRER RABIT):D :D

HAHA!! Yeah right Brer Rabbit is in retirement! I think the whole "People's Choice" thing turned him sour!:biggrin:

GN vs. NINJA

about 12 years ago, i lined up against a NINJA at a stoplight. i was so used to big guys with beards and big bellys on their harleys that i just knew i was going to leave him behind. this guy was revving up the bike while i was building up torque and boost. the light turned green and i took off like a bat out of hell, when i crossed the intersection, i just knew i had him when i didnt see him in the passenger window. i said to myself : "i got his ass" and just when i looked in the rear view window, all i could see was his head buried betwen the handle bars and then he shot past me so fast, i thought my GN cut off :eek: , he was gone ! i finally catch up with him at the next light and he was laughing showing all 32 teeth :D , i went home like a dog with his tail between his legs :(

guys its next to impossible for any type of car to race a modded or stock bike. i have an annoying friend who says all the time his bike is mid 10 from the factory and all these cars with x amont of money in em cant beat him. but yet the fat sheeet that he is never brings it out,and i tell him all the times it is a mid 10 bike,but not with youre arragant blockheaded ass on it

Very true boostedGM.

I've heard it said so many times "My bike can beat your car/truck".

And I say "Yeah so what?" That would like me telling a paraplegic "I can ride my bicycle faster than you can wheel your wheel chair."

It's not even a fair race if you think about it. A bike has a MUCH better power to weight ratio than most any car.

in my turbo buick powered Monte 200-4R and 373s
Back in the ’90s I left an NSX by about 8 cars off the line, now i am going at about 80-90 MPH with the pedal to the metal when it blows by me so fast that I almost couldn’t tell what kind of car it was I held down the gas to see if could even get close but even going on a long straight away I lost sight of the car.:mad:

Darkside Spank

It was 1988, Salem Ohio and I was watching the Muscle Car Shootout at Quaker city Dragstrip. I was a mopar fan and owner and drove up to watch the races. Karakashian (sp) and I believe Mino/Mina (can't remember) had the two quickest cars at the (ahem) stock shootout with Karakashian in a 69 Super Bee and Mino in a 4-speed 68 firebird (both ran mid to high 12's). This was the first year/time I saw any GN race and they lumped all the GN's/TR's in with the Big Block class as they smoked anything small block and 95% of the big blocks.
I noticed one GN with centerline Auto Drags on it and it consistently hung with the bee and the bird but never made it to the finals. It varied in et from 12.90's to 13.20's.
I had the misfortune of running into the aforementioned GN on a backroad with my 70 GTX (440/4sp/4.30). I had ripped off first and second gear and had an easy lead on him....hit third and you would've thought I hit reverse. He came around me so fast my air grabber hood said "Dammmm!!!" I never did get a chance to catch up and talk to him. The next week, I sold the X and turned to the dark side and never looked back.....although I do spend a hell of a lot more time turning wrenches on this then I ever did on the X. It's worth it.

I got beat in my Limited when it was a 13 second car by a Omni GLH. It was a freeway pull from 60 to 100. Lost by a car length.

My friend lost to one of those as well in his bolt on Mustang, they guy ran low 13's at the track. His other shocker was losing to stock Syclone, when he had no idea what they were.

My loss was to modified DSM on the way to the track from a roll, I kind of expected that I might lose especially since it was on highway. It was a bad loss. At the track I saw him run high 10's at 130mph, I was running high 12's 102-103 mph LOL.