ultimate "stock appearing" set up

tracy

one of the really neat trends in musclecars is factory appearing set ups that run some really amazing 1/4 mile times. Of course old musclecars can increase engine size and do other internal miods to boost performance all while appearing stock.

So...If a GN was to enter one of these events. What mods would you do to create a stock appearing GN that could copete with run the 11 second times some of the older cars are running at pure stock or F.A.S.T events.

kinda depends how they police them. Those pure stock car have stock cast exhaust manifolds, factory exhaust, etc. Since the majority of the mods for Buicks are bolt ons, you won't get away with too much. (ie. fuel regulator, turbo, intercooler, downpipe)

It all depends on what kind of stuff they'd let you get away with.

Most don't know what a stock gn looks like under the hood anyway. I'd say a big TA 64 turbo, big injectors, hog out the elbo, a cas v4 intercooler (looks stock from the top, almost), hooker exhaust, hollow cat, etc. I'd say you could get one of these in the 10s without it looking too modified.

If they don't know what they are looking at, basically you'd have the average TSS car.
If they do know what they are looking at (say at the nats), you'd probably one of the slower cars in the field. Those muscle cars look stone stock under the hood.

alky

You can up the turbo (must look stock)gut the cat/elbow, even stock mufflers with a pipe inside:) Hide the alky kit to spray up through the bottom of the intake:) The rest is in the chip.

Originally posted by tracy
one of the really neat trends in musclecars is factory appearing set ups that run some really amazing 1/4 mile times. Of course old musclecars can increase engine size and do other internal miods to boost performance all while appearing stock.

So...If a GN was to enter one of these events. What mods would you do to create a stock appearing GN that could copete with run the 11 second times some of the older cars are running at pure stock or F.A.S.T events.

They will never let us run. 11.50's in FAST trim would be Zero sweat for 1/10 what those guy's have in their cars.

I ran 11.7's on mine, stock elbow/downpipe, stock neck intercooler on radials (stock appearing aircleaner, too) and I didn't even go into the motor/transmission with only a TA49.

Ported heads, TA61, 3300 stall converter would make a Hemi cry.

I went 11.53@118 through this Airfilter

I'd like one of those FAST guys to come up to me and tell me my car isn't stock appearing.

:)

Isn't there someone with stock appearing stage motor? May be wrong, but when I went to the NATS I thought I remember hearing something about it.

-dan

Yes, there is a stock appearing stage 1. It's Red Armstrongs and it meets the stock appearing rules for TSS at the Nats. It has been low 10's.

But our cars could not run the FAST series and go by the TSS "stock appearing" rules. Most of those cars in the FAST series are 100% stock appearing so I would think we would have to run the stock elbow and downpipe all the way down to the stock hose and filter canister.

I have run 11.0's with the stock intercooler so I think that will be O.K. and have been 6.80's in the 1/8th with stock elbow and downpipe but I am sure it would choke it in the 1/4. A 6.8 should be a 10.70-80 but with the stock downpipe I would expect the top end pull to drop and slow the car to the 11 flat to 11.20 range. All these restrictions along with the stock plastic elbow and filter canister I would say it would be difficult to run better than 11.20's and be 100% stock appearing and then you have to run on stock size tires. No drag radials or slicks. This should slow you down to mid 11's which will be slower than a lot of these FAST series cars are running. With some practice it might be possible to get a decent launch and run 11.30's in this type of setup but that is right there with the top guys, it certainly won't be a blow out.

I would probably go with a TA-64, maybe 72# injectors, stock ported intercooler, port the exhaust elbow, hog out the stock mass air, remove the bottom of the air canister, port heads and intake and probably run a large cam to kill some low end for those little tires. Then shove as much boost through the stock intercooler until the car starts slowing down. Probably in the 30-32# range.

I believe those events are for older cars anyway. I don't remember the cutoff date but I don't think a mid 80's car would qualify. It would be interesting though.

I ran 11.80's with my GN. It has a TA49, 36# blue tops, stock IC, and an old BGC cast iron 3" elbow and down pipe. Take away the chrome breather cap and open K&N and it looks 100% stock appearing to someone who doesn't know a TR. Low 11's or high 10's should be easy with some better parts.