Reached a crossroads with the GN.

Justa6MB

I purchased my 87 GN in February of 1996. It was 100% original and had 125,000 kms on it. I drove it for a few years and installed the usual bolt on stuff as I could afford it and the wife would allow. A number of years ago I was finally in a position to spend some money on it. Had it repainted, and then got into the power train more serious. My goal was to keep it stock appearing, and be able to run 11.50 1/4 mile times without pushing it too hard. Any faster would require a roll bar around here. So I may have over built the car a bit but it will run low 7's and low 11's at 22 psi, and I feel I accomplished my goal. However here's where the crossroads come in. I love the car, it's working well, it looks great inside and out, cold AC etc, and I just don't want to put a roll bar in it. I like racing, but I don't want to wreck the car or myself. This year I had a Chevelle get loose beside me that could've been bad. So I got thinking maybe its time to buy or build something to race that it stripped down, easy to work on, and safe. I've got to keep it somewhat on the cheap to keep peace in the house. I'm thinking around $15000. There are some turn key race cars out there that I could bracket race (a). Or rollers that I'd need to put an engine in and perhaps a trans (b). Or I thought about building something as I'm lucky enough to have a good shop to work in (c). I actually was thinking about buying a GTA and making a V8 powered TTA clone? I've been reading a little about turbo'ing 5.7 TPI engines. I can buy a white 1989 GTA for around $3000. So here's my questions.
Have you found yourself in this situation?
Would you choose option a,b or c?
Would dropping 10k on a 5.7TPI make it close to or faster than my GN? Cuz I really don't want to slow down.

JMO: Blowing air into a TPI, isn't going to be a "rewarding experience".
Manifolds are scarce, should you get rid of the TPI. {Heads have a goofy intake pattern.}
If the target is >11.50, and no blower, you'd have to "lean on it"..Maybe, a well built, heads, intake, and a 200 shot?
You can do a Regal/jy LS pullout, a Chinese turbo, and have less than $15 in it.
My 86T, and a built LS turbo combo, has about 20K in it. NO junk parts.

Here's Matt from Sloppy Mechanics. He has no money in this thing...and it'll go 10's easy. Links to the build are below the video. He already went 9's with a junkyard 6.0 litre and a turbo. It doesn't take much.

Interesting guy lol. And good info on the TPI, makes sense to go LS. I was talking with a guy at the strip with a 5.3 single turbo. Said all he did to it was rods and pistons. And he was flying. Ok so a JY LS is a good option. What thoughts about buying a roller or building starting with a stock suspension car? I’d like to run in the 10’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any G body with poly bushings and an HR parts sway bar will be sufficient for the 10s. Doesn't take much, as long as you have a strong rear to handle the power.

If you check Matts 6.0 build all he did was the cam...and that was it. Put down 1000 to the back tire before finally bending a rod. If I was gonna do it...and I just might, I'll go with a stock 6 litre and have it put down 700 to the back tire. You could beat on it all day like that and not hurt it.

Darren, are you thinking of not taking the GN to the track anymore? That is sad. I just got everything figured out on my car. I'm surprised it went as fast as it did with all the little problems. I'm looking forward to hitting the track next year, be nice to have another turbo buick out there.

Hey Nick. I'm sure it will still see some track time even if I put something else together. I'd like to get a 10.xxx slip with it for the record.