Two Legendary Blackbirds together SR71

TurboHungry

They finally got around to washing up the base's old bird so I used to chance to snap a couple of pics. Interesting that both black beauties are legends based upon speed. In fact the top speed of the SR71 is still classified to this day.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1382667613.482516.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1382667626.167878.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Tid bit for you. The SR used 2 Buick 455 engines to start the jet engines.

Thanks for reminding me, I knew that but completely slipped my mind while posting.

FYI they all are not retired....

But now they are all hush hush and used by the NSA I think.

Nah, this isn't one of those conspiracy things it is retired from the Air Force and according to wiki is flown by NASA. Last I checked the airframe was modified with a large wind tunnel on top (the SR71 is very sturdy) and they contract testing which is cheaper to operate than a wind tunnel facility plus they can exceed Mach 3. BTW wiki even talks of the Buick Wildcat engine carts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird

Another SR71 tidbit.... right outside of Eglin Air Force Base near Destin/Crestview FL at the museum there is a SR71 longtail on display and its (accord to sign) is the only one like it left. It has a tail added in the rear IIRC to see if it would help Aero

Eglin, was stationed there and sure wish I could go back. My t-tops would go well in that weather.
That website is good, the Blackbird is my favorite aircraft so I've looked at every static display I could.

They finally got around to washing up the base's old bird so I used to chance to snap a couple of pics. Interesting that both black beauties are legends based upon speed. In fact the top speed of the SR71 is still classified to this day.
View attachment 204771
View attachment 204772

I'm curious to know what city/state you picture was taken in (if its not classified!).

Just north of us here in Los Angeles is a little-visited site called Blackbird Park. Plug in the following address on Google Maps for a look-see:

2500 East Avenue 'P'
Palmdale, CA 93550

Once I get my ride in show-car quality, I may have to tool up there for a photo-op session like yours...

Done some yrs ago, at the Minn. NG base.....My "yaller car". Foto shoot was done by Jack Pendzemas.
SR71 magazine001.jpg
SR71 magazine001.jpg

The place I took the pictures is Beale AFB, CA Looking at Blackbird park from Google Earth I can see the two SR71s, an F117A and a U-2 on the first pad and on the second pad I can make out the B52 (another of my favorites) and the B1 Bomber. If I was on the ground I could proabably make out a lot more of them. Even though the SR71 and U-2 are from the same time frame while the SR was retired years ago the U-2 still flys, in fact out of Beale AFB. You can see them doing touch n gos almost every day. You wanna talk about a fun car ride you should be in one of the U-2 chase cars, it's not the speed or acceleration but the fact you are coming out on the runway almost right underneath the plane as it lands and you are running down the runway directly behind it at around 120mph. I'm jealous of that pic (Tale of Two). Maybe I should talk to our guys to see if I can do one like that with our U-2.