Twin turbo question

HIboostGN

I am building a twin turbo motor. I have custom 1 5/8" headers and at the point of buying turbos and was wondering what is available in the size I need. I was thinking the TE44 turbo is the max size I need or want really. This is more a test car. Does anyone make a BB turbo this size? Or am i stuck with a plain bearing turbo. Also is there a 4 bolt version of this turbo? Was thinking that might free up some Exhaust back pressure? This is going to be limited to 550-600 hp. How are people setting twin turbo engines boost? I can tee the vacumn signal but how are you figuring out one turbo is not making more pressure then the other on a common plenum? Down pipes are not set in stone yet so can use either swing valve or external gates. I have a simple killer PS / Alt mount that I hope RJC will fab and sell to the public someday, Sorry no ac :biggrin:
THANKS Jerry

Yikes man... If you're asking those questions I think you need to stick to a single...

Singles are a big enough pain in the ass... twins are double the trouble.

Also if you really want 5-600rwhp, a single will get you there no problem.

If you honestly have a twin setup in the works, then call precision and talk to them about twin sizing. You will most likely not want to use regular turbo buick "bolt on" turbos. You will be better off researching other twin turbo V6 kits like the 350Z kits for turbo sizing.

Two stockers will be plenty to destroy a stock bottom end though... 600rwhp is gunna take one hell of an engine build.

Adam, Thanks for the advice. I will be contacting them shortly. Yes it is a built motor. By the way i ran 10.50 in 94 with a TE62 on a stock block and a JAy C. chip so i might be able to handle this project. Just saying? I really would like someone who has a twin turbo motor explain how they set the turbos to give the same pressure? But any advice is welcome.

Adam, Thanks for the advice. I will be contacting them shortly. Yes it is a built motor. By the way i ran 10.50 in 94 with a TE62 on a stock block and a JAy C. chip so i might be able to handle this project. Just saying? I really would like someone who has a twin turbo motor explain how they set the turbos to give the same pressure? But any advice is welcome.

Jerry,

Call Jay Carter at Bigwood on Monday.
I am sure he can tell you about their twin, stock block project and you can
compare notes. Tell him I sent you, if he does not immediately hang up you are in good shape.

Also a nice guy from Washington state put together a very unique set up.
Let me try and find you a link or contact information.

I would think that this would be easier to do with external gates.

go to Welcome To CottonsPerformance.com! type in twin turbo pics...scroll through, its the silver one...Jack stopped by the house last night with the owner...car is badass. i'm sure he can point you in the right direction. and they do make a BB in a 44...i have one..just one though:(

His name on here is turbofabricator... hes a nice guy, been around forever, ask him anything!

Not pressure.....volume.

Not volume.....airflow!

I assume it's simple:
If you have 2 turbos that are exactly the same and 2 wastegates again the same and with the same springs and pre-tension then I don't see why they wouldn't flow the same.
Also the headers should be similar in shape and size, downpipes and I/C plumbing. It should be easy to achieve.

I want to THANK everyone that has sent me ideas and help and to Turbofabicator for the long HELPFULL phone call!!! I really didn't care if we used flow, volume, pressure as long as we all knew what I was talking about. To be honest there is quite a bit to syncing twin turbos. Just because you have to turbos the same whether there new or not there not going to spin at the same RPM because of friction losses also the exhaust volume on each side of the motor is not the same since each bank would not be putting out the exact same amount of volume at any one time! I had a a few ideas on setting flapper style wastegates but may just go to a single wastegate mounted in between the turbos and hope that does the trick or gets it close enough? I am not sure if i have the room or want each wastegate feed to be like 2 feet long but that maybe what it will take. This is going to be a road race open track car not a drag car. Bored drag racing, Money wins there not talent! Hell money wins everywhere :mad: I will try and post a pic of where I am at and the cool assy mount I have going on. Hopefully one of the vendors will pick up on it and make them available to the public, Jerry

Jerry's 1

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 462
Hey AJ,

Nope not making these for anyone. Believe it or not I did that with a vise and a hand drill and a front assy bracket to get the holes aligned. The alt mount is a common low mount alt mount for a small chevy i bought for $22 at a Good Guys show. It mounts a mid size GM alt. and that one is brand new and puts outs 105 amps and cost me $65 It also weighs a few pounds less ( 2 ) then a stock GN alt. I talked to Jason at RJC about this project in May but have not followed up since i am neck deep in a new company i started and can't seem to find time to finish the headers let alone the whole car project. Since i can send him pics now and i need some new pulleys and stuff I might as well see if he would like to build something like this for people. I also have a Nascar type alt mount that is a perfect drill jig for the anyone who might want to go this route in the future. I changed this mount 3 times now because i have a S10 manual steering box in my car right now and it is junk for daily driving and not so hot for even a drag car really. My car will be doing some open track road race events so i went back to power steering and a LEE steering box so i could have a nice driving car. The hardest part of this setup is finding someone to cut/turn the stand offs for the alt/PS pump. The plate is flat cut to clear everything and i did this with a jig saw and a bench grinder NO SHEEP !!!:eek: I would like to see Jason do a billet bracket for the Alt and maybe some lighting holes in the plate?? The plate is 3/8 thick and doesn't bend i tried by putting a bar between it and the block you would really have to have a problem like a lost pulley or something weird at high RPM to cause a mounting plate problem? The pics aren't that clear ( did them in a hurry ) but you can see I trimmed the plate back so it did not stick past the header mounting flange at all. That is because that is my 3rd set of headers for this combo. What you can't see is the alt is lower then stock even with the high mount it is at now. I could have lowered it some more. I could easily still, but this made hooking up the charge wire easier without reclocking the alt? I may still reclock it and lower the Alt depending on what belts i use. Funny the first design used a turbo Ford belt :tongue: Also i can slide the cam sensor straight down and adjust it with a blindfold on!! It REALLY clears up the whole engine compartment!!! I just ordered all my steel braided hose so i may have some in car pics soon. Still deciding on tranny but might install with the stock tranny till i get everything mounted and fitted!
Jerry

Jerry,

Call Jay Carter at Bigwood on Monday.
I am sure he can tell you about their twin, stock block project and you can
compare notes. Tell him I sent you, if he does not immediately hang up you are in good shape.

I would think that this would be easier to do with external gates.

I believe his name is turbofabricator...he did a nice twin.