TV Cable

T4Texas

I was setting my TPS yesterday and noticed the TV cable is too tight and won't allow the TB to open all the way.

Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for adjusting the TV cable? From what I gather the TB should be open all the way to the stop then I should adjust the TV cable until the slack is out of it, but how hard do I need to pull on the TV cable, etc.

TIA for any help.

Luckly we have easly udjusted cable. On the cable where it clicks into the cable bracket, there is a button. Press the button in and push the cable slide, at the end of the cable, all the way in. Then using the linkage at the TB open the TB all the way. This will set the adjustment for the TV cable. I've had to do this on both mine and my dad's cars. If you have any Q's, feel free to email me @ googs@cox.net.

Craig

I have a question about this too. The TV cable will pull out, and there is enough spring tension to pull the cable back. Now instead of the cable pulling out and reaching the end of its stroke and not allowing the TB to open any more, mine just reaches a higher level of spring tension. Its tighter, but its not any kind of solid limit or stop. Its a light spring tension which seems to reach its limit, and then it goes to a higher spring tension which takes more force to pull it out. I have to adjust my cable with about 5 rings exposed. When I get to about 2/3rds throttle, it takes more force to continue opening the throttle, but like I said, it doesnt just stop and limit the amount of throttle I can reach. Its not like Im having to push really hard and force it. What is this all about? Is there something broken?
If I adjust it according to the adjustment procedure (hold the button down to release and go WOT and let go), there is a tiny amount of slack in the cable with the TB closed (1/16") and it shifts really really early and the shifts are sloppy as hell. With it adjusted like I have to do, the TV cable never limits my throttle. It just gets harder to open when it reaches that point. But it doesnt feel really forced. just harder to open. The cable will keep pulling out. Its just harder to do.

I sheared the input shaft on my trans a couple of years ago. The guy that replaced it for me told me that having the TV cable adjusted too tightly was probably the cause, which is why I'm concerned about getting it adjusted the right way.

I know the TV will have an effect on how hard the car will shift. Something to do with line pressure. I got out of TRs for about 12 years (long story, but I finally divorced the reason, lol). Anyway, back in the day I remember reading somewhere that it was common practice to adjust the TV cable for firmer shifts. Of course, we are talking way back in the early 90's, and we've come a long way since then.

I should have the car back on the road within a few days. In the mean time I have the TV set the way Craig suggested. After I drive it I may add just a little more tension to firm up the shifts, but I'll definitely play it safe. I sure can't afford another trans, and I know for sure my engine wasn't making enough torque to snap an input shaft unless something was wrong.

Anyone else have more input?

Vader -
The procedure I listed above is out of the Chiltons manuel for Regals. I also had a trans guy tell me the same procedure for my truck, which I put a 700R4 in and has a simular cable on it. Both times adjusted as described and no probs. I understand what your saying though, I once didn't have the cable adjusted right in my truck and it did a simular thing. As the throttle was depressed, it proggressivly got harder. I'm no expert in this field, but as far as the loose cable when adjusted as described above, it may be time for a new TV cable. They can strech over time. But then again, if ain't broke, don't fix it. :smile: