TV cable or govenor

Wheezy

How do i tell if my cable or gov is bad and if i have to remove
the tranny pan what to look for. Car started shifting late in all
gears (OD 80mph) then one morning would not shift out of first.
Any help would be welcomed.

Great board!!!!!!!!
:)

Not a Tranny Expert But...

My understanding is that the governor controls WOT upshifts. If you have issues with part throttle upshifts occurring late (or not at all), I'd look at the TV cable and then the valve body. If it is a WOT issue, a governor failure is a fairly simply repair.

Alan Roehrich from Grant's Custom Auto and Racing (6PacktoGo on this board) has a tremendous amount of knowledge on this subject and if you contact him he may have more info.

Good luck!

RE TV cable or govenor

Thanks Kristi.
Its not a WOT issue Just norrmal driving it wont shift out of 1st.:)

TV is the quarterback, reciever , tight end , it senses tork and load and causes proper pressure rises and shift timing. Gov is timing only., it senses d shaft speed only. I bet you have a cable binding or hanging up. That leaves trans thinking that trhottle is open very much. A gov problem will cause no upshift to 2nd. most of the time If it has broken gear this is for sure.
Lets all hold out for the new 5 speed automatic to be used in GM's new upcoming rwd platforms in 2005? Suppose to handle hi tork and be shifted with a dedicated box, (computer).

Wont Shift

The trans will not shift out of first. With the sifter in D i can down shift and it acts like it kicked into first. Took it to a local trans shop
and they pulled the pan and looked at the govn and TV rod and said the problem was worn clutches. I'm about ready to push it off a cliff!!!!!!!!! :mad: When he pushed the wire on the cable near the trottle it would retract. Could the cable still be bad. :confused:

Was there dark material in pan? That would be clutch material if so. If not id get 2nd opinion. But , these trans's arent forgiving. Do you mean you dont ever get a 1-2 shift? As for tv casble, just pull on it and check for smooth action. There should be a few lbs of resistance and it should return easily. To be dead sure pull pan and have someone strike throttle, look at tv lever?plunger action.

No shifts at all into any gear. But going from D to 1st it felt like it
was down shifting. There was plenty of black stuff in the pan. Guess its time to robb the pig bank.:(