Turbo's

HOTSIX

Ran outta hand cleaner
Guys I am a lil confused on what my next turbo should be.

Two things :

Dont understand the TE or TA nor do I understand the numbers that follow. 49, 33, 51 etc.

What does it all mean....size differences ? CFM increases ?
It seems no matter what - the price is not too much different from a ta49 to a te51...why ? If I can flow more with the bigger turbo wouldnt I skip a smaller unit then ?

The other question is...what should my next turbo be ? My sig is below and this car will primarily be a daily driver summer car - with the odd trip to the track fer fun.

the ta series has the two stud flange to bolt a t/b to where the te series the inlet hose will clamp directly to it and there is no way to bolt a t/b to it

the ta's also have basically a stock 86-87 intake housing cut out for a bigger wheel to have the stock apearing look were the te's have a bigger housing which lets it flow more air and with less heat.

check out the link if you havent already.

i think you would be very happy with a ta 49 v/s the stock 84-85 turbo as a stock 86-87 turbo is a good upgrade for the hot-airs.

the mph i've ran with the 49 tells me it works.

you figure it out and i have aguy who wants mine which will be for sale in about a week once my 51 gets here but if hes not ready then i will be posting it in for sale section.

later.....RED

precision's turbo page

I looked at your mods list...

If you are converting to the V2 intake setup I'd go with a TE44 and be done with it. You won't need the throttlebody attached to the turbo as it will connect to the inlet portion of the V2 intake.

You can find these "used" in the Turbo TRader for $450 to $600.
Many times the opportunity to get a sweet deal is having the money ready and available when somebody else wants to upgrade their combination. Being in the right place at the right time when somebody else wants to upgrade is key. They are looking for some extra cash to make the next turbo purchase less painful to their wallet.

The TE44 is good enough to get you deep into the 11's.

Hey guys, thanks.

I hate to be the dumbest guy in the room......again....haha.

If I get a TA49 after switching to the V2 I could still use it by buying an attachment to bolt to the two studs (where TB used to go) and hook the other end to inlet hose right ? Or is there such a piece....

RED - on the link u provided it has a pic of a TA49 with what looks like a bolt on flange - kinda what I described above. Can ya buy this separate ?

I'm still a 'lil confused tho...a TA49 with the extra flange or a TE44.... cost being equal, which flows and spools best with the V2 factored in ?

that adapter usually comes with the turbo ..

thats how the 86-87's are factory.

i dont know but one guy with a te44 and his car isnt vry fast so its hard to say about spool. im filling the ford i/c witch is bigger than any other i/c i've seen.

The V2 kit comes with a machined inlet bell direct from Jay. That's because the hotairs have the bolts left on the stock turbo to accomodate the throttle body.

If you are going with the v2, there's absolutely no reason to not go with a TE series turbo. It's a free lunch. The bigger compressor housing flows more air with less heat and there's no differance in spool. The only reason I have a TA series turbo is I didn't know I was going to relocate my TB at the time.

You can always buy the inlet bell. Most vendors have either the stock 87 or the 62mm. I ended up having to buy two inlet bells for a total of $130 because I failed to plan ahead and could've gotten a TE turbo instead.

I TE44 is a great turbo, spools like a stocker and can go very deep into the 11s if pushed. In fact I couldn't tell a difference when I installed the TA64 until I had the boost past 22psi.

Check out this thread

I have posted very pertinent information about turbo selection with the V2 intake. If you want an easy install I would stick with the TA series. I know the PT-54 I put on took a bit of time getting things on properly and also required an external wastegate. Maybe if you removed the head shield and hood liner the stock wastegate actuator would fit but, I doubt it. If I was to do it over again I would most likely stick with the TA series.

Anyway check out this thread:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13008&referrerid=1042

Hope that helps, if you would like to see pics of the install click on "My Buick" in my signature.

Allen