"TurboCharged" Recipes....

D

dconnor

Been getting myself into "cooking" mode since I have to feed ~80 people at the rehearsal dinner in a few weeks (getting married on 3/15!)

In the hunt for some good feed-a-crowd type recipes I hunted up Whit's old post here on the board & thought it'd be fun get another Turbo-Eats thread going SOOOOOoooo.... EVERYONE post your fave recipes for grilling, desserts, side dishes or whatever!!!

Easy Mac & Cheese DEE-lux

Ingredients:

16oz macaroni pasta, cooked as per package directions

(shells or any other smallish pasta work fine)

2 lbs Velveeta
12oz shredded Colby-Jack cheese
1/2 stick of butter or margarine
1/2~1 cup milk
1/2 tsp garlic & onion powders
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Melt the velveeta, 3/4 of the butter & half of the shredded cheese in a sauce pan over low heat with the seasoning & enough milk to get a queso-esque consistency. After the pasta is cooked, drain the pasta & add ~ 1tblsp butter to keep it from getting scammer. Place into a 13x9" baking dish (or good sized casserole, whatever is oven safe & will hold everything) then pour the cheese mixture over the top & mix well. Add the remaining shredded cheese then place into the oven at 300° F for ~ 20 minutes, or until the cheese on top is golden brown. Serve & enjoy!

Fajita Marinade

Ingredients:

One medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup Lime juice
1/2 cup Olive oil
1/2 cup Tequila
1 tblsp Worcestershire
1 tsp Tabasco
1 tsp Fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp Ground comino

Directions:

Combine all of the ingredients in a glass bowl & mix well. Then pour the mixture over the meat of your choice & let marinate for at least 2 hours.

After marinating slap the fajita's on a hot grill until just done & enjoy!

Doug C.

Chicken Fricassee

1 large whole chicken (4 to 5#)
3 to 4 stalks celery ( with tops)
1 large handful California carrots (small carrots)
1 large onion
1 large handful frozen small peas (petite peas)
garlic powder
salt and pepper

Cut up chicken and rinse pieces. To cut: cut off wings first, remove and discard wing tips. Cut off leg/thighs and leave together. Cut breast from back, cutting along ribs. Leave breast whole.

Chop celery and leaves into 1/2 inch (or so) pieces. Chop onion into chunks. Leave carrots whole.

Put chicken pieces and veggies into a large stock pot. Add enough water to cover.

Add salt, pepper and a couple of shakes of garlic powder.

Bring to a boil. Cover. Cut heat back to simmer and cook for about 1 1/2 hrs. (simmer=bubbles on the outside edge of the pot. Boil=bubbles throughout the whole pot).

When done, scoop out chicken pieces one at a time. Remove and discard skin and bones. In a large bowl, set cooked pieces of chicken aside. Scoop out most of the veggies and set aside.

Bring broth in stock pot to a boil. Throw in the handful of frozen peas. Add flour and water combination(fairly thin mix of flour and water to make the rue for the gravy), stirring with a whisk or slotted spoon, to thicken and make gravy.

When thickened, return chicken and veggies to pot. To Serve, ladle over plain white rice.

Congratulations on your wedding!! My one year anniversary is 3/9!
:D

Toast

put 2 pieces of bread in a toaster....serve with butter an maybe if you want to go wild try some peanut butter on it..serves 1 ...:cool:

mmmmmmmmm....chili

4 pounds course-ground chopped sirloin or tenderloin
olive oil or butter
1-2 small cans tomato paste, with water
OR fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
OR canned tomatoes pressed through a colander
3-4 medium onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2-10 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon oregano
teaspoon sweet basil
1 tablespoon cumin seed or ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons (or more) chili power
OR some chili pods

In a 4-quart pot, brown meat in oil or butter or in a blend of the two. Add the remaining ingredients, Simmer 2-3 hours with the lid on.

What no "Stick Swanson dinner into microwave" reply yet, yoou guys are slackin!!! ;)

Here's a couple of more:

Beer-Butt Chicken:

1 1/2 cups mesquite wood chips
1 whole chicken 4 to 5 lbs
1 can , 12 oz. beer
3 1/2 Tbsp Grillin' rub

Grillin' Rub ( makes 1/2 cup )
Mix all of the following: Store and seal tightly
1/4 cup paprika
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 to 3 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder

Remove and discard the fat just inside the body cavities of the chicken. Remove the package of giblets, and set aside for another use. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water. then drain and blot dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoon of the rub inside the body and neck cavities, then rub another 1 1/2 tablespoon all over the skin of the bird. If you wish, rub another 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture between the flesh and skin. Cover and refrigerate the chicken while you preheat the grill or oven.

For the oven:

Place chicken upright on can, so can is inside chicken cavity. Place on a roasting pan and roast in a preheated 350 oven for ~60 minutes or the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160° F.

For the grill:

If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box or on a piece of foil next to where the chicken will be cooked and preheat the grill to high; then, when smoke appears, lower the heat to medium/low.

If using charcoal, preheat it to medium. Toss half the wood chips on the coals when ready to cook & oil the grill grate. Set up the grill for indirect grilling, placing a drip pan in the center. Stand the chicken up in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan. Spread out the legs to form a sort of tripod, to support the bird.

Cover the grill and cook the chicken, until fall-off-the-bone tender (~2 hours on medium/low or until the bird reaches an internal temp of 160°.)

For an interesting variation prepare as above using these ingredients:

Dr. Pepper Chicken:

One 4 to 5 pound chicken
One 12-ounce can cola or Dr. Pepper
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

For the rub:
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or more to taste

Make the rub: Put the chili powder, salt, brown sugar, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne in a small bowl and stir to mix.

Hey Turbojitsu!

So are you going to join in the Chicagoland Chilli Cook-off at the March meeting at ANS? There are other men that cook for a prize there, too!

:eek:

Just wondering....

Stuffed camel

Stuffed Camel

Ingredients:

1 whole camel, medium sized
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium sized
110 gallons water
60 eggs
12 kilos rice
2 kilos almonds
1 kilo pistachio nuts
salt to taste
5 tablespoons black pepper

Servings: 30-100
Preparation time: Coupla days

* Skin, trim, and clean the camel, lamb and chickens.
* Boil togetheer until tender.
* Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice.
* Hard boil eggs and peel; then stuff the chickens with the eggs and some rice.
* Stuff the camel with the lamb and some more rice.
* Broil in a large enough oven or near a gas flare until brown.
* Spread the remaining mixed rice on a very large tray and place the cooked camel on top; add pepper.
* Place the remaining stuffed chickens around the camel.
* Garnish with boiled eggs and nuts.

So are you going to join in the Chicagoland Chilli Cook-off at the March meeting at ANS?

I know I sad I wasn't going to miss that meeting but work is sending me to Florida for a confrence. March 6th through the 10th I'll be in Orlando.

I have been making a conscience effort to make it to the meetings but the powers that be don't want me to go. I had planned to go to the tech/learning session god knows I could use it but the Friday before that meeting 15 gentlemen outside a friend of mines apartment in Bridgeport decided to use my head for golfing practice. Before I tell this story I would just like to say that I did not instigate this and I had never seen these men before in my life.

What happened was my friend had just moved into a new appartment and was throwing a party. I went outside to use the bathroom since the line was to long. 15 guys with golf clubs walked up to me telling me they were going to kill me. I rushed the first one that swung his club at me and dropped him. I took off for the door made it halfway inside the long hallway when 5 of them grabbed me and another waked me in the back of the head splitting my head open. I turned around and took the one closest to me out at the legs and started to bash his head into the ground when the rest of them pulled me off of him and beat the crap out of me.

The worst part of this ordeal is that before they attacked me they beat someone across the street so bad he is still in a coma. Well 2 weeks later a few facial lacerations, a broken nose, and 12 staples to back of my head and I am fine. I guess the 4 years of mixed martial arts training isn't good enough to fight off 15 guys.

Sorry for making this such a long post but I was trying to get my point across that it's not me who doesn't want to go to the club meetings someone upstairs doesn't want me to.

Couple of desserts :)

Key Lime Pie

Pie filling:
4 Egg yolks
1 Can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lime juice (Real Key limes are the best!)
1 Graham cracker pie shell

Topping:
I cup Whipping cream
2 tblsp Powdered sugar
1 tsp Dark rum

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350°, beat the yolks for approx 3 minutes then add the condensed milk & lime juice. Beat until smooth. Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven & chill the pie for several hours in the fridge. For the topping, beat the cream, sugar, and rum together until soft peaks form. Spread the topping over the pie & chill for an additional 30 minutes.

Cherry Cream Cheese Pie

1 cup Whipping cream
1/3 cup Powdered sugar
1 1/2 packages Cream cheese
1 Graham cracker crust
1 can Pitted cherries

Directions:
Beat the cream with the sugar until it forms soft peaks. In a seperate bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy, then fold in the whipped cream mixture until well combined. Be careful not to over mix!

Scrape the mixture into the pie shell & chill in the fridge for several hours. Top with cherries, serve & enjoy. For variation, try using another favorite fruit topping like fresh strawberries or peaches.

Doug C.

Bored at work so here are some more!!!

Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya

2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed (~ 3/4 lb)
8oz smoked sausage, sliced
1 stick of Butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup tomato sauce
2 cups uncooked rice
3 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
1~2 tsp cajun seasoning (depends on your heat tolerance)
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Tabasco to taste

Saute' the onion & pepper until tender, add tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and suasage & simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in the rice & simmer for 10 minutes, then add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is done.

For an easy variation, try using shrimp &/or crawfish tails instead of chicken.

Margarita Chicken

4 bonless/skinless Chicken breasts
1/4 cup Tequila
2 tblsp Lime juice
1 tblsp Honey
2 tsp minced Cilantro
1 tblsp Oil
1 minced Jalapeno
1/2 tsp dried Tarragon
Salt & pepper to taste

Mix the ingrdients for the marinade together in a glass bowl & pour over the chicken. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least one hour in the fridge, turning the meat occasionally.

Grill on the BBQ, or bake at 450° F in the oven for ~20 minutes. You can boil the marinade & then use it as a baste to keep the chicken nice & moist. Or add a little corn starch to thicken it while boiling & use as a sauce.

Mock Dirty Rice

Mock, since I use beef instead of liver which is traditionally used... blechh

Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Beef
1 cup Half & half
1 cup Chopped mushrooms
1 cup beef stock or vegetable stock
1 Bell pepper, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Chopped scallions
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Bay leaves
1/2 tsp Tabasco
1/4 tsp Dried thyme
1/4 tsp Dried oregano
1 cup uncooked rice
Salt & pepper to taste

Brown the beef and onion in a large saucepan, then add all of the other ingredients, EXCEPT the rice. Combine well & bring to a hard simmer. Add the rice, cover, reduce the heat to a low simmer, and cook for ~20 minutes until the rice is done.

Crawfish Dressing

1 lb Crawfish tails
4~5 cups crumbled cornbread
2 cups seafood or vegtable stock
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 tblsp butter
1 tblsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 bunch green onion (scallions), chopped

Melt the butter and add the onion & bell pepper. Saute' until tender, add the cajun seasoning & garlic powder and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the stock & bring the mixture to a boil, then add the crawfish & simmer an additional 10 minutes. Stir in the cornbread & mix thorougly. Transfer to an oven safe dish & bake the dressing for 20 minutes at 300° F.

Doug C.