Turbo T vs. Limited vs. T-Type

another Turbo T question

045.jpg
well with all this T talk im lost I also have this 85 T type all badging says T type black trim with chrome bumpers also blue buckets power seats digital dash an digital climate control rear says regal what am I?

what am I?

Confused???:confused:

:biggrin:

Yours is a T-type. The black out package did not include the bumpers. If I'm correct they were a seperate code. I think the bumpers may have been also available ordered seperately up until '86-'87 although I don't think very many cars came that way. I rember way back when, seeing a white T-type with black out and black bumpers. On the I/C cars they were unavailable as an option so you could not get a black car with the black out and black bumpers unless it was a GN or (in '87) a WE4.

All 83-86 (maybe 82?) Turbo Regals were T-types. All 87 Turbo Regals were T's. Not all T's are turbo Regals. "T" could also be a 307 Olds with a touring package. Exterior looks the same as a turbo regal except the hood is different. The 307 cars came with the small 7 5/8 ring and pinion also. None of them are considered rare cars including the GNX. Turbo cars are very desirable though. Hope this helps.

045.jpg
well with all this T talk im lost I also have this 85 T type all badging says T type black trim with chrome bumpers also blue buckets power seats digital dash an digital climate control rear says regal what am I?

Your are an 85 Regal T-type assuming the correct VIN. What prize do i win?

Another thing worht mentioning is that the GN's are all regal t-ypes or turbo t's. GN was a package and there is no way to id one from the VIN.

t-type is 86 and older
Limited Turbo cars were 87 only, and all were column shift and the pillow bench style seats.
Turbo T technically was the Black WE4 cars, but everyone tends to call all 87 T's Turbo T's
T is for touring
Limited could be black out or chrome trim
T could be black out or chrome trim
T-type ONLY had black out trim

My silver limited in the cars for sale section has the blackout trim, its fairly rare to find a black out optioned limited, most had chrome.

If your car is a 87 and has a floor shifter, then its a T, just call it a Turbo T and we all know what it is... A 87 turbo regal :)

I have a limited Turbo car with the leather seats and column shift.It was a burgundy car.The one thing I hate about the car is the Astro-Roof.It doesn't work anymore and has some rust in between where the glass slides into.It will probably cost a fortune to get fixed.

86 T Type teardown 001.jpg
Reviving an old thread....
I just picked up an 86 T Type roller.
Trying to figure out what this heap is. I stopped copying at 33 option codes.
It has:
Black bumpers, black paint, black window trim. It has been repainted,[cheapo scuff/shoot], but no signs car was ever any color but black. Same with the bumpers, headlite bezels. [All covered areas are black, as are the back of the bumpers, under the windshield cover plate, and the trunk filler area, door jam vents, under the weather seals, etc.
Car is a column shift, bucket seats, [grey leather], short console, grey headliner and carpet, concert sound, climate control, digital dash.
The sill plates are black w/ a red "T" in them.[Suspect a "custom" part].
What codes would there be to describe what the color, blackout, etc, ??

TIA,:D

TTT

It looks as tho there may be some option codes for bumper colors...Going to check to see if they are on the trunk label....

Chuck, IIRC, the code for the black out trim is W02. I was looking for an RPO list to verify but can't find one.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Chuck, I have an 86 dealer book if you want to look up specific codes

Chuck, I have an 86 dealer book if you want to look up specific codes

Alan, thanks. I'll see what I can find on the net. The codes I can't find, I'll PM you. [There's gotta be 50 codes there!:eek:]
Maybe your book will have them.
Thanks!

Chuck, IIRC, the code for the black out trim is W02. I was looking for an RPO list to verify but can't find one.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I don't see the WO2 code on the trunk sticker. I'll take a good pic, and post it...

Thanks!

One of the previous posts said that Limited Turbo Regals were available only in 1987. I don't think that is accurate. I can say for sure that Limted T-Types were built in 1985. I believe they were also available in 1986 as well. I bought my first turbo Regal in 1985. It was a new 85 Limited T Type. It was a gold Pontiac built Regal with Tan 45/45 leather seats, column shift, the non-shifting console and the black-out package.

He may have meant '87 was the first year Limiteds had their own specific VIN character thus becoming a different model instead of an option. d/k?

I just saw this thread and its a subject I know a little about since I wrote the book....

One segment that is overlooked is in 1986 it was possible to get leather pillow seats in grey or tan....not many were made but it was possible to get that feature in a T-Type. This would have been a column shift example. I had one of these cars.

It is true all 1984-1986 Turbo Regals had the black trim...in 87 you could have chrome or black.

Buick definately made things confusing....one minor example comes to mind even with the black out package option in 1987 the side markers had the chrome and not black.....

The really rare seats would be the Lear Seiglar (sp?) sets found in the early models especially the t-types and especially any that had a power drivers seat option.

Also based on the number of WE4s I have owned I seen them with and without the hood ornament on original paint examples.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My point being various differences can exist even if all these cars came out of the same plant.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I just saw this thread and its a subject I know a little about since I wrote the book....

One segment that is overlooked is in 1986 it was possible to get leather pillow seats in grey or tan....not many were made but it was possible to get that feature in a T-Type. This would have been a column shift example. I had one of these cars.

It is true all 1984-1986 Turbo Regals had the black trim...in 87 you could have chrome or black.

Buick definately made things confusing....one minor example comes to mind even with the black out package option in 1987 the side markers had the chrome and not black.....

The really rare seats would be the Lear Seiglar (sp?) sets found in the early models especially the t-types and especially any that had a power drivers seat option.

Also based on the number of WE4s I have owned I seen them with and without the hood ornament on original paint examples.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My point being various differences can exist even if all these cars came out of the same plant.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thanks for the insite! It explains the trim and paint options I have.:cool:
This 86 T has pillow leather seats. [Grey]
It also has the blackout trim, and is code 19 black paint.