Turbo T vs. Limited vs. T-Type

turbonatr

More Cubes!
I've had my car for about the last 15 years and to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what kind of a "T" it really is. It's silver with burgandy interior and has black-out trim. It originally had "Regal" emblems on the quarter panels and I think one on the trunk lid as well (along with a "Buick" emblem). I'm not sure if it had the red "T" on the fenders. I do have them on the car now (bought a set and stuck them on the car after I repainted the nose many years ago), but I don't remember if they were on the car when I bought it (used).

So, how do I know which model the car really is?

t-type is 86 and older
Limited Turbo cars were 87 only, and all were column shift and the pillow bench style seats.
Turbo T technically was the Black WE4 cars, but everyone tends to call all 87 T's Turbo T's
T is for touring
Limited could be black out or chrome trim
T could be black out or chrome trim
T-type ONLY had black out trim

My silver limited in the cars for sale section has the blackout trim, its fairly rare to find a black out optioned limited, most had chrome.

If your car is a 87 and has a floor shifter, then its a T, just call it a Turbo T and we all know what it is... A 87 turbo regal :)

Excellent post!

There were a few things I assumed over the years, but I was never 100% sure about. Like T-Types being pre-87 (since T-Type emblems were never on 87s), Limiteds had colomn shift and bench seats, etc. I just assmed these things based on common sense but they weren't confirmed. Since my car is a floor console shift, it must be a Turbo T. Thanks!

BTW, I saw your car in the Cars for Sale forum. If I had the extra dough laying around, I'd already be on my way to pick it up! I have a soft spot for silver T's. Plus, yours is a smokin' deal!

As an added note to Quick6'n'-K.C. post.

A easy way to tell if a turbo regal is a 87 limited turbo model is by the vin number.

The fifth letter will be a M ( not a J ) 1G4GM

The eighth number will be a 7 ( for 3.8 sfi turbo engine ) 1G4GM117

What you have is a buick regal with the turbo drivetrain and t package, most of us just call em ttypes cuz its easier. The WE4 is the ONLY Turbo T.

What you have is a buick regal with the turbo drivetrain and t package, most of us just call em ttypes cuz its easier. The WE4 is the ONLY Turbo T.

....its also easy to call them a Turbo T since there are no ttypes in '87. ;) If ya want to get technical, its a turboregal w/T package:p

one more thing

And all you TR lovers are right but you forgot one thing its still an under cover GN;)

And all you TR lovers are right but you forgot one thing its still an under cover GN;)

you are correct because of all the chrome trim on mine ALOT of people dont have a clue what it is. Till they get their A** waxed.

My new badging

Check this out tell me what you think... I guess technically since it isn't a Turbo-T this would be ok... Too much time on my hands at work... :D

Attachments

• T-Package.jpg
    T-Package.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 413
t-type is 86 and older
Limited Turbo cars were 87 only, and all were column shift and the pillow bench style seats.
Turbo T technically was the Black WE4 cars, but everyone tends to call all 87 T's Turbo T's
T is for touring
Limited could be black out or chrome trim
T could be black out or chrome trim
T-type ONLY had black out trim

My silver limited in the cars for sale section has the blackout trim, its fairly rare to find a black out optioned limited, most had chrome.

If your car is a 87 and has a floor shifter, then its a T, just call it a Turbo T and we all know what it is... A 87 turbo regal :)

T types only had black out trim? Are you sure about that?