Turbo redesign for a carb turbo system

Smokin the Buick

I have been burried in my other car...Made up a boat cover, lined in cameo to help keep the snow off the Buick.. I have located some Jahns Forget pistons with the double dimple rods. I also had a down pipe made up out of 2.5 inch alumized metal..14 guage I believe...man you can almost make a roll bar out of this. Have to wait till spring time to finish this car off..
I have been reading so much about cams...A lot of guys say just leave in the stock cam and it will work fine... I guess I will give it a shot and see how it runs.
That down pipe I had made runs down the top of the frame then out next to the bell housing ..lots of room that way. Will be using 3 inch pipe out to the Muffler AP that looks just like a magnaflow...then it brakes out in dual 2 1/2
Yea...just one more question...the whole Suspension is mush...Should I put on a rear sway bar too and maybe heavier duty springs so It dosen't ride like an old ladies car ??:cool:

charlie how are you going to hook the hot side of the turbo up. i was looking at it and the intake of the hot side will be towards the back of the car. are you going to clock the turbo and put the wastegate on the bottom? I have no clue how you are going to hook it up.

I've got everything here to make a 3" down pipe and I will be clocking the turbo to fit where it needs to go. I haven't decided on whether or not to do an internal or external gate but I'm leaning toward an external.:biggrin:

I have been burried in my other car...Made up a boat cover, lined in cameo to help keep the snow off the Buick.. I have located some Jahns Forget pistons with the double dimple rods. I also had a down pipe made up out of 2.5 inch alumized metal..14 guage I believe...man you can almost make a roll bar out of this. Have to wait till spring time to finish this car off..
I have been reading so much about cams...A lot of guys say just leave in the stock cam and it will work fine... I guess I will give it a shot and see how it runs.
That down pipe I had made runs down the top of the frame then out next to the bell housing ..lots of room that way. Will be using 3 inch pipe out to the Muffler AP that looks just like a magnaflow...then it brakes out in dual 2 1/2
Yea...just one more question...the whole Suspension is mush...Should I put on a rear sway bar too and maybe heavier duty springs so It dosen't ride like an old ladies car ??:cool:

Vince, stock cam leave quite a bit to on the table, that's why I'm going to use a bigger one.:biggrin:

One of the nice things about the G body chasis is that it rides really nice but handling suffers some. Do a search in the supension section to get some ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Cam Choice, Smokin it..

Let me run this by you Charlie...How about a 86 Grand National Cam Stock....Is there that much differance between the stock cam in my 83 Regal ?? After looking at the whole picture of ignition I can see why Buick had to go to a Computer...too much stuff going on at the same time...:cool:

The 85 and earlier had a .401 lift max and the 86 up has a .420 lift. It is the better of the 2 but you can get a 204/214 cam that will work even better.

Yes what Charlie said. Ikve been using an oem lc2 camshaft and oem GM lifters. It works good with the carb stuff, but I never used it in a drawthru, but it's still a step up from the original drawthru equpment. Plus you can swap it right in and make no other mods. I will continue to use this cam in my blowthru as I'm having great results with it.

I've got everything here to make a 3" down pipe and I will be clocking the turbo to fit where it needs to go. I haven't decided on whether or not to do an internal or external gate but I'm leaning toward an external.:biggrin:

Vince, stock cam leave quite a bit to on the table, that's why I'm going to use a bigger one.:biggrin:

One of the nice things about the G body chasis is that it rides really nice but handling suffers some. Do a search in the supension section to get some ideas on what works and what doesn't.

what wastegate would you use the DT or the 86/87 wastegate?

Cam Choice

The Cam your talking about..214? I am guessing...thats duration ?? Is that a stock cam or is that an aftermarket product...?? :cool: I have been looking at cams from Languatti or something like that... I was actually able to get through and talk with a tec person....they seemed like really nice guys.. Tried to get ahold of Comp cams and could never get through. That Italian cam company had some decent prices too.. Anybody ever use on of them?? Yea I know I can't spell worth a crap....:cool:

what wastegate would you use the DT or the 86/87 wastegate?

Ya lost me on that Matt.:confused: I have the 84-85 gate, the 86-87 gate, and everything to do an external gate. When I get everything mounted up then I'll decide on which one I'll use.:biggrin:

The Cam your talking about..214? I am guessing...thats duration ?? Is that a stock cam or is that an aftermarket product...?? :cool: I have been looking at cams from Languatti or something like that... I was actually able to get through and talk with a tec person....they seemed like really nice guys.. Tried to get ahold of Comp cams and could never get through. That Italian cam company had some decent prices too.. Anybody ever use on of them?? Yea I know I can't spell worth a crap....:cool:

Here you go Vince.:biggrin:

PRO STOCK PERFORMANCE CAM BUICK 231-252ci LIFT 448 472 : eBay Motors (item 290495287581 end time Dec-01-10 16:38:19 PST)

Ya lost me on that Matt.:confused: I have the 84-85 gate, the 86-87 gate, and everything to do an external gate. When I get everything mounted up then I'll decide on which one I'll use.:biggrin:

PRO STOCK PERFORMANCE CAM BUICK 231-252ci LIFT 448 472 : eBay Motors (item 290495287581 end time Dec-01-10 16:38:19 PST)

I havent seen this thread in a while... if anyones looking for a cam ive got a 204/214 cam for 150.00 plus shipping... 700- miles...

sorry charlie

I tried both the 84-85 and the 86-87 and they both bolt on Aj. I also have everything to do external, flange and all.

When you assemble your 301 unit you will find the only the 86/87 wastegate will work.

but dont expect the wastegate to end up in an easy to package location.

trust me.

A.j.

I tried both the 84-85 and the 86-87 and they both bolt on Aj. I also have everything to do external, flange and all.

i just want to make sure what wastegate to use.

are you sure?

84/85 dont match 301 housing diameter. unless you drilled it or have the wrong actuator. has to have been either the 301 unit, which wont fit the 86/87 turbine housing, or the 86/87.

id bet money on it.

A.j.

are you sure?

84/85 dont match 301 housing diameter. unless you drilled it or have the wrong actuator. has to have been either the 301 unit, which wont fit the 86/87 turbine housing, or the 86/87.

id bet money on it.

A.j.

Um...ya lost me here Aj.:confused: The hot side is off the 86-87. I'm gonna guess you're talking about the fitment of the actuator? That's why I've got everything to go external bud.:biggrin:

I also have an aftermarket acutator I'll have to make a bracket for if I decide to go that way.:biggrin:

Um...ya lost me here Aj.:confused: The hot side is off the 86-87. I'm gonna guess you're talking about the fitment of the actuator? That's why I've got everything to go external bud.:biggrin:

I also have an aftermarket acutator I'll have to make a bracket for if I decide to go that way.:biggrin:

well i know your gonna go external... LOL

I was answering matts question... he was asking what actuator to use on his 301.

he will need the 86/87.

A.j.

Well it's been a very good Christmas. I rejoined that GN t type site that no one goes to except for reference and the owner made it the only sticky in the B4Black section.:eek: I've barely been on there for a week and posting a condensed version of this thread and the first response was that he made it a sticky.:biggrin:

Smokin the Buick

Merry Christmas to you guys too....waiting for some warm weather to pull my motor and get it bored out .o20 to put in some forged pistons...suppose to get about a foot of snow tonight and tormorrow. The guy that is going to bore it is in Kennleworth NJ and is suppose to be one of the best around for Buicks...He said things were so slow he had to get a part time job and only works 3 days a week in the shop now and one day is Saturday. Don't want to play around with the block and the prep...want it done right the first time. Am keeping my fingers crossed on the stock trans too..Trans only has 56,000 miles on it and most was done in short trips. Have a pro race cam now and new springs also..If this guy has a Dyno, maybe I will get it running and take it back to him, once it get installed and let him really give it a good tune.. Have a ton of guages to put in it too...don't know where I am going to put them all...I guess its on the dash or the side window post:cool::rolleyes:

hey

The parts will coming your way next week Ronnie.:biggrin: I get them back tomorow if my tranny in my DD holds up for the drive.:eek: After 209K I can't complain but the timing could be better.:smile::mad: I'll have several parts for you to coat if everything works out.:smile: Thanks again Ronnie.:biggrin:

hi charlie u have jerry info i want to send my stock turbo for upgrate :smile:please send me his phone number thanks u turbo looks good