Turbo redesign for a carb turbo system

hi charlie u have jerry info i want to send my stock turbo for upgrate :smile:please send me his phone number thanks u turbo looks good

Sorry but my inklish is a lyttle better than this.:biggrin:

Could you try typing this again so I can understand it?:confused:

Sorry but my inklish is a lyttle better than this.:biggrin:

Could you try typing this again so I can understand it?:confused:

Hahaha
I think what he wants is for you to give him AJ's number so he can send him his turbo to get it upgraded....And he thinks your turbo looks good!

Not done with this yet and I decided to bump it for a good reason. Over 15K vews so far and yet more info will be added soon. The new design will be upgraded from the current design. Since this is basically what was called a "stage 2 turbo" from the old days for the IC cars, (thanks to Mike Licht for the info) it will be upgraded from here. I talked to Reed today, the turbo guy Matt told me about, and I will be sending the turbo to him for a few "tweeks" so to speak.:biggrin: All of it will be documented and posted so that it may help others do this or maybe have it done. The intake has been ported about as much as it can be and a few lucky people have gotten pics but it won't be posted on here. Don't want everyone to have all the info after all.:biggrin:

Not done with this yet and I decided to bump it for a good reason. Over 15K vews so far and yet more info will be added soon. The new design will be upgraded from the current design. Since this is basically what was called a "stage 2 turbo" from the old days for the IC cars, (thanks to Mike Licht for the info) it will be upgraded from here. I talked to Reed today, the turbo guy Matt told me about, and I will be sending the turbo to him for a few "tweeks" so to speak.:biggrin: All of it will be documented and posted so that it may help others do this or maybe have it done. The intake has been ported about as much as it can be and a few lucky people have gotten pics but it won't be posted on here. Don't want everyone to have all the info after all.:biggrin:

so what do you and reed have planned?

so what do you and reed have planned?

A turbo that's capable of 10's Matt.:biggrin: Already talked to him about the intake and a few other things on the car to make sure what is possible with it. This will upgrade the compressor wheel and the exhaust wheel at the same time so it will be easier to get more than 25 PSI into the engine.:eek: Possibly even 30 plus if everything works out.:cool:

A turbo that's capable of 10's Matt.:biggrin: Already talked to him about the intake and a few other things on the car to make sure what is possible with it. This will upgrade the compressor wheel and the exhaust wheel at the same time so it will be easier to get more than 25 PSI into the engine.:eek: Possibly even 30 plus if everything works out.:cool:

cant wait to see.
so how much would that all cost?
btw what was your mod were going to tell me about that made the car do a wheel stand? i think it was you who said something about that..if im wrong sorry. :redface:

cant wait to see.
so how much would that all cost?
btw what was your mod were going to tell me about that made the car do a wheel stand? i think it was you who said something about that..if im wrong sorry. :redface:

Can't tell you right now Matt. Call Reed if you want an idea on how much. You will need to get more stall in the convertor if you do though.

Not wheelies but it shoud pull the front wheels off the ground. Haven't finished the frame yet so I can't send you any pics. Sorry.

Can't tell you right now Matt. Call Reed if you want an idea on how much. You will need to get more stall in the convertor if you do though.

Not wheelies but it should pull the front wheels off the ground. Haven't finished the frame yet so I can't send you any pics. Sorry.

ok.. when you finish please send me the pics. i really want to know so i can try it. (the frame mod that is )

ok.. when you finish please send me the pics. i really want to know so i can try it. (the frame mod that is )

You know I will Matt. I even fire emails off to Aj once in a while even though I don't hear back from him.:frown:

You know I will Matt. I even fire emails off to Aj once in a while even though I don't hear back from him.:frown:

you know the funny thing is... i was going to email you to see if you ever heard from AJ. i sent him a email a while back to see how he was doing but he never responded back. it truly is sad to see him go.

Charlie...here are the compressor wheels that you and I spoke about the other day...I am going to get started on one for you guys to try, we just need to make a decision :biggrin: Sorry I did not get with you guys earlier, had a big race in South Ga and then the GS Nats over the past 2 weeks!

IMG_0567-vi.jpg

From left to right for discussion: stock 86/87 GN/T-Type, "0299-4" 301 Pontiac, TO4-E 60 trim (TA-49, TE-44 for the SFI cars), 9535-1 "60-1", GT-35 61.5mm

The first two wheels have been used quite often, but outside of that I can give you the characteristics on the others.

TO4-E 60 trim, it will be a good response unit that will want at least 2600 rpm stall speed, small cam upgrade and maybe some light ported heads and intake. Of course a good exhaust and fuel mods will be needed. It will support an honest 450 FWHP at 18-22 psi depending on engine mods. It likes to move the air at a higher boost pressure than the 0299-4 301 Pontiac, so it would be good for a more restrictive cylinder head (more efficient at a higher boost pressure). I have seen cars that will allow 26 or so PSI out of this compressor with the right cam and head combo.

"60-1" This compressor is one of my all time favorites for the 3.8 Buick, If you have some nice head and intake work it will make the power of the TO4-E 60 trim, but at a much lower boost level. My 87 GN made 398 WHP and 564 #/ft at the tires, all with 16psi. I think your carb car will really like it. This compressor is done by 21-26 psi depending on mods. Power output is in the mid 550 FWHP range on a healthy 3.8 Buick.

GT-35 61.5mm If you want boost pressure out of a Garrett turbo, this compressor is your ticket. On all out applications the GT35 wheel rules above 26psi. It will make enough quality airflow to support just under 600 FWHP on the 3.8. I would like to see somebody with an E-85 combo use this...or a serious alky injected car!

We also have some 64 and 67mm wheels that fit the 301 compressor housing, but they are tight in the V-6 cover, so we will have to talk a little about them as we go along.

Some detail shots of the wheels

IMG_0568-vi.jpg

IMG_0569-vi.jpg

I want to start on one of these this week...we just need to make a plan!

Later,
Reed
Work Turbochargers

Charlie...here are the compressor wheels that you and I spoke about the other day...I am going to get started on one for you guys to try, we just need to make a decision :biggrin: Sorry I did not get with you guys earlier, had a big race in South Ga and then the GS Nats over the past 2 weeks!

View attachment 146065

From left to right for discussion: stock 86/87 GN/T-Type, "0299-4" 301 Pontiac, TO4-E 60 trim (TA-49, TE-44 for the SFI cars), 9535-1 "60-1", GT-35 61.5mm

The first two wheels have been used quite often, but outside of that I can give you the characteristics on the others.

TO4-E 60 trim, it will be a good response unit that will want at least 2600 rpm stall speed, small cam upgrade and maybe some light ported heads and intake. Of course a good exhaust and fuel mods will be needed. It will support an honest 450 FWHP at 18-22 psi depending on engine mods. It likes to move the air at a higher boost pressure than the 0299-4 301 Pontiac, so it would be good for a more restrictive cylinder head (more efficient at a higher boost pressure). I have seen cars that will allow 26 or so PSI out of this compressor with the right cam and head combo.

"60-1" This compressor is one of my all time favorites for the 3.8 Buick, If you have some nice head and intake work it will make the power of the TO4-E 60 trim, but at a much lower boost level. My 87 GN made 398 WHP and 564 #/ft at the tires, all with 16psi. I think your carb car will really like it. This compressor is done by 21-26 psi depending on mods. Power output is in the mid 550 FWHP range on a healthy 3.8 Buick.

GT-35 61.5mm If you want boost pressure out of a Garrett turbo, this compressor is your ticket. On all out applications the GT35 wheel rules above 26psi. It will make enough quality airflow to support just under 600 FWHP on the 3.8. I would like to see somebody with an E-85 combo use this...or a serious alky injected car!

We also have some 64 and 67mm wheels that fit the 301 compressor housing, but they are tight in the V-6 cover, so we will have to talk a little about them as we go along.

Some detail shots of the wheels

View attachment 146067

View attachment 146068

I want to start on one of these this week...we just need to make a plan!

Later,
Reed
Work Turbochargers

This is what I didn't want to let out of the bag quite yet and why I called Reed.:biggrin: I'll call you thins week and see what we can come up with to make the best out of it.:smile: This really should make the cars a lot more capable and really get things goin for the C/T cars.:eek:

BTW, did you find the cam we talked about?:smile:

I found the cam, it will be boxed up for you over the weekend. The compressors picked out above are some that I want to test in various cars...I need to get together with all you guys and see who has the ability to give me some feed back on some of these turbos. I picked up a core this weekend up at the nationals, so I plan on building an upgrade out of it to test with. Now, as for your turbo....lets just say it is more of a prototype that nobody has seen on any TR before
This is what I didn't want to let out of the bag quite yet and why I called Reed.:biggrin: I'll call you thins week and see what we can come up with to make the best out of it.:smile: This really should make the cars a lot more capable and really get things goin for the C/T cars.:eek:

BTW, did you find the cam we talked about?:smile:

I have the cam, it will get boxed up this weekend and shipped your way next week! It is a little more agressive than I thought, but it has worked great for me. I want to test some of the turbos with you guys...lets get me a car that is up and running that I can put one of these little guys together for!

Now, as for your turbo...lets just say it has not been on any TR that I know of before....:cool:

I will update this thread later today :D

Reed
Work Turbochargers

Charlie, if you don't keep with the updates, no one is gonna follow. If you don't want anyone to know what you are doing fine, leave it at that and delete the thread. There's what, maybe a handful of people on this board that actually have a RUNNING c/t? And a majority of them are used for toys/dd's.

Reed, that te50 on my car is a peculiar animal to say the least. I have yet to get a stall (thinking about a 3k l/u), but it will make boost off the brake easily. If I'm driving and step down on it a bit it seems laggy then all of a sudden it's at 18psi and pulls like the stocker did at 22. When I talked to you about the mods I had you suggested a 2800 l/u. From what I've searched on the board other turbos with a similar ex wheel (pte53) have a 3k or 3200 being used with them. Did you suggest the 2800 to me because of the smaller comp wheel or is this a combo you used before that just plain works?

I fully intended on building my 87 cold side and 83 hot side for my car but now that AJ is gone I lost my connection for hot side parts.

The one thing I would request for a turbo is something that spools up. I have a stock 80 turbo on mine and it sucks. Takes a year to spool up. I have a 204/214 cam, ported heads, ported intake, great exhaust, opened up carb ect. From a stop it wont spool up til it hits 25 MPH. I am only running 8PSI right now as my trans cant handle much more, but a new trans is coming soon.

Really I would love to see something that can pump 15 PSI all day long on 91 and alky and live. Run high 12's/ low 13's and drive home.

I may be selling the turbine off mine if I go with Reeds idea, but you'll need to find a exducer housing still. You can use the HA housing and exducer as well and still make it spool better than stock. It's also lighter and smaller than the C/T unit, but you won't get the flow like Matt and myself will get.:)

So what's so bad about the early housing and wheel? Wouldn't it be better to use that and just go with a bigger stall?

So what's so bad about the early housing and wheel? Wouldn't it be better to use that and just go with a bigger stall?

The stock turbine is very old technology Jesse. The T3 series of turbos was originally designed during WWII and they really didn't develope further until the last 20 or so years. It's extremely heavy to begin with and isn't that effecient at spooling the turbo. With a smaller wheel and a better AR rating you still get the same flow while spooling the turbo up faster. :)

I may be selling the turbine off mine if I go with Reeds idea, but you'll need to find a exducer housing still. You can use the HA housing and exducer as well and still make it spool better than stock. It's also lighter and smaller than the C/T unit, but you won't get the flow like Matt and myself will get.:)

how much do you want for the turbine? thats if you decide to sell it.