Turbo redesign for a carb turbo system

Well ya'll have seen what Ronnie posted but he left some of it behind. This is basically what the top of my engine will look like. I know it has very little to do with building the turbo but I just had to show you guys how it looks. The 2 different alternator brackets are for the standard amp and the high amp unit.

looks good charlie. i have a little trick on that alternator bracket. i put a 100 amp alternator from a small block chevy on the standard bracket all you have to do is make a adaptor. i will have to post the pic of that. the high amp bracket is hard to find. i have never seen one. its cool that you have it.

I got the high amp completely by accident Matt. It's the one on the left BTW. If you look at the upper section you'll see it's much thicker than the other one. Start a seperate thread for the info on that adapter.

A little more info

I've been busy lately so not much has happened other than ordering parts and doing side work, but, Aj just sent me a text a little while ago along with a pic. He did a little more research on the inducer wheels so you can get a better idea of the actual differences we're dealing with here. Read the captions and it will give you a better idea of how much more the redesign will flow for the cars.:biggrin:

Attachments

• inducer wheels..jpg
    inducer wheels..jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 218
Send Aj a note and I'm sure he can add to the mix a little. This gives us soo many more options now.

Big turbo

Guys, I have been thawing out from the winter...Saw the photo of those turbo wheels....impressive...That big one on the end...What do you say thats off a trans am ?? They must be hard to find. Would that fit on my 79 hot air setup?? Still haven't been able to do much on my turbo..a few other projects I have to get out of the way just to make room to walk in my garage...Have to recover from all that wood choppin...the axe man restith...:smile:

The one that's clean is off an aftermarket turbo. You'd have to machine the inducer housing to make it fit. Not a hard or expensive job but it's not a direct fit.

Big Draw

mmmmhhh sounds good...but I might be putting too much boost on this stock engine with cast pistons...what do you think??:smile:

If they're stock turbo pistons you're ok but if they're standard cast you'll have a problem. What size bore does the engine have now?

Big turbo

Its a stock Buick regal 83 V6 never touched. I guess I better look for the pink rods and forged pistons.. I doubt if stock Grand National pistons will fit after I clean up the bores...Even though the motor has around 50K orginal miles on it, the motor has no power...I really have to do a cly leak down test on the thing..:cool:

I've got a spare set of TRW forged that are .030, and as far as the rods look for 2 dots cast into them. Buick doesn't use such things as "pink" rods.

Big turbo

:smile: You will have to give me a price on those pistons...I thought the Buick were the same as CHEVY except just a different length>>> ?? you don"t have the GRAND NATIONAL Rods too do you ??

Everythings not there Matt. Just break down and buy the one from G pop and bite the bullet. I know they have all the parts and will make sure it's right.

charlie how are you going to hook the hot side of the turbo up. i was looking at it and the intake of the hot side will be towards the back of the car. are you going to clock the turbo and put the wastegate on the bottom? I have no clue how you are going to hook it up.