Turbo GTP Hits 669.5 Crank Horsepower!

INTENSE-Racing

Boost was solid at 22.0 psi all the way to 7,200 RPM.

We ran it ultra rich just to play things safe. The wideband showed 11.3:1 for most of the run.

Wheel horsepower was over 400 from 5,100 RPM all the way to 7,200 RPM.

Peak wheel horsepower was 535.6 at 6,200 RPM.

Peak crank horsepower works out to 669.5 at 6,200 RPM. Pretty respectable for a little T64E!

And not a bad way to end 2003...

Scott and Big Jeff

I'm interested in some engine buildup details as well as engine management. I took a look at your web site a while back; looks like you've done a great job on the car. Have you guys had any head gasket or bottom end problems at these power levels?

I've got a 97 GS..maybe I should ditch the blower! I'm sure it'll just be a simple one weekend bolt-on to do the turbo swap, right?! :) :p

what kinda bottom end work has been done to the motor ?

All our mods are listed on the website at www.INTENSE-Racing.com. Just click on 'Our Turbo Project' on the left hand side.

I'm interested in some engine buildup details as well as engine management.

Please see above.

Have you guys had any head gasket or bottom end problems at these power levels?

We blew countless head gaskets early in the year. This was resolved by running ARP head studs, our MLS gaskets and richening up the air/fuel mixture, and is no longer an issue.

There hasn't been a single failure of one of our race blocks to date. They seem to be begging us for a bigger turbo...

Scott

Originally posted by INTENSE-Racing

We blew countless head gaskets early in the year. This was resolved by running ARP head studs, our MLS gaskets and richening up the air/fuel mixture, and is no longer an issue.

Scott

Scott how much PSI were you running before you started having gasket troubles. Like I told you before I ran mine up too 12psi with no troubles except 3 blown pistons lol, but the head gaskets remained.

I've sent my heads out and had them machined like you told me too , to acomodate your Turbo Cam. Thanks for the help.

intense-racing if you were making 669 horsepower with them 57 injectors- they had to be near maxed out. Were you running them at 100% ?

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
sweet

what kinda bottom end work has been done to the motor ?

From what I understand talked about on their website, they are using the stock crank, L32 Powdered-metal rods (Series III), and ARP bolts/studs. Sounds like a little investment goes a long way on this engine. I knew I liked the stock cross-bolted main bearing caps when I first saw them :D .

Series II or III 3800 RWD Turbo Regal anyone?

Scott how much PSI were you running before you started having gasket troubles.

Once we richened the mixture up, the head gasket issues disappeared completely, up to 20 pounds of boost. We haven't been past that number yet but will in 2004.

intense-racing if you were making 669 horsepower with them 57 injectors- they had to be near maxed out. Were you running them at 100% ?

Yes. According to our calculations, these injectors would have been done somewhere around 684 horsepower. But we're still running high impedance injector drivers.

From what I understand talked about on their website, they are using the stock crank, L32 Powdered-metal rods (Series III), and ARP bolts/studs.

Correct, except for the connecting rods. We're still running one of our 'old' race blocks, built with L67 rods before the L32 rods hit the market.

Scott