Turbo Grinding and No Boost

87gnguy

I just got back from TB.com Nationals at Richards shop (AWESOME by the way). I was motivated to get the GN out and get some of the gremlins worked out of it. I took it to the store and filled it up with gas. I made a couple of 22 pound runs in 3rd gear and when I turned on to my road and gave it enough gas to get up to speed, my turbo made a horrible grinding sound and there was NO boost at all (under normal cruising it's quiet). I got home and had a buddy break boost it in the driveway and you can hear the grinding coming from the compressor side of the turbo. I took off the intake pipe and the shaft spins freely and there's no shaft play at all and there's no smoke from the exhause when driving or accelerating.

Does anyone know what happened? Do I need a rebuild? It's a Precision 62/62 journal bearing turbo that has about 20k miles on it and never run over 24 pounds of boost.

Thanks,
Casey

Well, I pulled the compressor off and I guess my buddy that checked for play didn't check well enough. There is lots of play in the shaft in all directions. I guess I need a rebuild...
Thanks,
Casey

Yup, And when you put it back on Make sure it's getting oil.

Yeah I was going to do that before it goes back on the car. I just sent Bison a PM to see what I have to do next... :(

I just had a 6262 get a small piece of teflon stuck in the restrictor. It ate itself.