tuning questions with adding fuel and boost

liv4gnz

so i have my new chip coming in and everything will match everything, TC, turbo injectors fuel pump hot wire manual boost controller, all the sensors are set and im ready to go,

so first, start at low boost and continue to up it until i see some kr correct?

02 milivolts should be at 8-820 so its a little bit safer i would rather it be a little rich just in case.

now if im not seeing any knock and the 02 mv are a little low i add overall wot fuel.

so do i base the tune off how much more fuel i can add until i get kr, or does kr happen regardless if its still at a safe 800 mv, than lower the boost,

my main question really is will adding fuel allow me to run more boost with out kr when the milivolts start to get low, or no matter how safe the milivolts are kr will happen no matter what when running too much boost
?

my main question really is will adding fuel allow me to run more boost with out kr when the milivolts start to get low, or no matter how safe the milivolts are kr will happen no matter what when running too much boost
?

May or may not. Every one of these cars responds a little differently, and requires different approaches. Generally speaking, adding some fuel if you start seeing KR may help suppress the KR to a point. You can go too rich. Trying to tune with a narrowband O2 sensor is a crap shoot at best but can be done, albiet not totally safely. Try not to go too much richer than 800mv, and creep up on the boost until it starts show a little KR, then back off till it's gone across the board.
Try getting a wideband O2 as soon as your budget allows.

I've noticed that running my wideband, I keep the Air/Fuel ratio at 11.4:1 at WOT (I don't run alky). With that AFR I see narrowband O2 ranging from 730's to 760's. That's too wide of an O2 voltage spread to be trying tu tune with, but yet the AFR stays at 11.4

its a TT popped it in today and did some tuning where it seems right with no kr and a pretty happy readings for 02 mv reading

yea i noticed how much it jumps all over and is not really consistant,

i got it dialed in pretty well, wot fuel is at 140, 16-17 lbs no knock and about 790-805 mv,

how important is it to get a/f numbers? usually we just go by 02 mv but is it neccessary to incorporate a/f numbers into it?

overall the car feels solid and safe and no kr except some false when the wheels spin, is there any way to be 100 percent sure that everything is safe and doing what its supposed to be doing?

would that investment be a powerlogger or wide band 02?

is it safe to say if i know my fuel pressure is good and it shows no knock that its safe?
can it still go lean and mess something up or as long as theres no kr its good to go

its a TT popped it in today and did some tuning where it seems right with no kr and a pretty happy readings for 02 mv reading

yea i noticed how much it jumps all over and is not really consistant,

i got it dialed in pretty well, wot fuel is at 140, 16-17 lbs no knock and about 790-805 mv,

how important is it to get a/f numbers? usually we just go by 02 mv but is it neccessary to incorporate a/f numbers into it?

Those of us that run widebands of course think it's very important to get accurate AFR numbers. Sure, many years ago, I even used to tune using O2mv, and didn't realize the little idiosyncracies(sic) of the narrowband O2.

overall the car feels solid and safe and no kr except some false when the wheels spin, is there any way to be 100 percent sure that everything is safe and doing what its supposed to be doing?

100% sure? never. but if one trusts in the readings you're getting from your scan tools or data logger then you can feel perfectly safe, until someting fails. ;)

would that investment be a powerlogger or wide band 02?

Yes!

is it safe to say if i know my fuel pressure is good and it shows no knock that its safe?
can it still go lean and mess something up or as long as theres no kr its good to go

Yes
anyting's possible. Just don't let it go lean.

so depending on weather its like 760-800, with 0 KR lean would be low 7xx correctt?

i dont know exactly how a powerlogger works im guessing it records all the data,

and a wideband just goes to a gage to moniter a/f right?

wheres the best place to purchase them from an does it come with a kit with the gage also with the wideband?

wheres the best place to purchase them from an does it come with a kit with the gage also with the wideband?
I got the power logger from TurboTweak and the wb from Summit Racing , mine is a inline AEM with no gauge , I think the guage version will work also

so all you have to do is install the wide band 02 sensor and plug it into the factory 02 harness and it will display on the scanmaster still with a wideband reading?
is that how it works?

so all you have to do is install the wide band 02 sensor and plug it into the factory 02 harness and it will display on the scanmaster still with a wideband reading?
is that how it works?
No thats not the way it works , you will need to put a bung in your down pipe after the turbo and put the wb there and wire that signal wire to the adapter to pl and then it will work , leave your nb factor sensor alone , your will need it for the ecm to work under normal driving conditions .

Is a power logger necessary when using a WB?

Cant I just use a gage to moniter it while driving at all times?

ok, so the only thing the powerlogger does is, record your runs or when your WOT or however, for a street driven car is it worth getting it?

if i purchase a wide band 02, i want to just go by the gage, does it only read out a/f? and the gage needs to be purchased separately.

what is the ideal a/f im shooting for, whats considered lean and also rich?

i just want to learn as much as i can about it before i get it so i already know what im going to be looking at.

now if my chip was burned for what im running and what boost i plan to run, it should be in the ball park of not having to add too much fuel right?

is there a ratio or comparison between the chips burn and fine tuning it? like 90% chip and fine tuning like 10?

it seems like if i leave it at the original plan, which was 16-17 lbs on 91, without adding fuel it gets some low kr and runs kinda lean, so i had to bump up the fuel.

now if my chip was burned for what im running and what boost i plan to run, it should be in the ball park of not having to add too much fuel right?

is there a ratio or comparison between the chips burn and fine tuning it? like 90% chip and fine tuning like 10?

it seems like if i leave it at the original plan, which was 16-17 lbs on 91, without adding fuel it gets some low kr and runs kinda lean, so i had to bump up the fuel.
You are on the right track sounds like .