Tuning Question

rmorrell

I don't understand when to add or subtract timing with my tune. When should I add timing or subtract timing with my scanmaster? I have my overall and 1st gear fuel parameter pretty well set, thanks.​

I think it's generally accepted that you should add boost to the turbo instead of adding timing. However, if you are to your turbo's "sweet spot" then go ahead and add timing. So long as the Scanmaster is showing 0 degrees of timing retard, you can continue adding boost/timing until you are satisfied (or drive over the crankshaft).

Age old debate of timing vs boost. Boost is all the time. By this I mean, when you go WOT the boost is what it is in all gears, so adding more boost can & will cause issues in higher gears if there isn't enough octane to tolerate the boost level. Timing can be controlled independantly in 1/2 & 3/4.

1/2 gear can easily support more timing because of less engine load. Add a degree & see if there's any retard, if not, add another degree, but I'd stop there. I wouldn't mess with 3/4 gear timing.

I personally added 3* of timing to 1/2 gear & took away 20% fuel in 1st gear. Made a big difference. Awesome low-end throttle response & pull. I have Alky though, so I could get more agressive.

Thanks for info, that is what I was looking for. So basically this will override my chip timing from what it was burned at?

Thanks for info, that is what I was looking for. So basically this will override my chip timing from what it was burned at?

Correct.

Whatever you set the timing at, it will stay until either you change it, battery is disconnected or dies, or the orange wire that goes to the positive battery lead is unplugged. Any of these situations happen, and the chip goes back to default programing.