Tuning help needed near northwest alabama

sams86gn

I've tried posting logs and other data and have contacted every grand national person in my area and they are either too busy or will not answer the phone. I'm tired of waiting. I'm willing too drive 3 or 4 hours too a known good tuner. The car runs fine its just really slow. It may be as fast as its going too be with a stock engine and in that case I'm going too be very disappointed. I always heard how fast these cars are but I've never ridden in one other than my own so I don't have anything too compare it too. If anyone can help me out please send me a PM.

"Crate motor from autozone".. Could be part of your problem. Do you know anything about the internals?

It very well could be. But I'm not really looking for "could be part of your problem" I'm wanting "this is your problem" and I can fix that. The motor is running fine at 18 psi. No knock or very little according too scanmaster and PL. And no I do not know anything about the internals. SUREFIRE engines out of Texas is who built the motor.

After reading that It sounded like I was being a smart ass, that not how I intended it I'm just tired of chasing possible problems and find the real problem.

It very well could be. But I'm not really looking for "could be part of your problem" I'm wanting "this is your problem" and I can fix that. The motor is running fine at 18 psi. No knock or very little according too scanmaster and PL. And no I do not know anything about the internals. SUREFIRE engines out of Texas is who built the motor.

Kinda difficult to diagnose over the net.
GL w/ the fix.

Have you tried to get up with Lane Culver in Lacey Springs? Chris Hogeland is probably one of the best around but I know he stays terribly busy.

I can almost guarantee you it's not running near what it is suppose to be at 18#'s. It ain't 25, but with your setup it should put a smile on your face and shame some new muscle cars.

Josh, I have not tried Lane yet but he I will probably give him a call this week and see if I schedule a time with him. I know he does a lot of LS tuning but I didn't know how familiar he was with the lc-2 motors. And Chris is too busy.

Josh, I have not tried Lane yet but he I will probably give him a call this week and see if I schedule a time with him. I know he does a lot of LS tuning but I didn't know how familiar he was with the lc-2 motors. And Chris is too busy.
lane did some work for me & he is very knowledgeable.

Just curious, what transmission? Mine is in pretty much the same situation. I have a KCF trans and a D7 converter. I am hoping getting a BRF trans and D5 converter will perk it up. It ran a weak 8.66@82 at the local 1/8 mile track. It should be running low 8s, high 7s,

Well, that shouldn't be the problem. Have you made any passes to see how it is actually performing?

I know your not looking for could be this or that, but have you checked your cam sensor to see if it's set correctly. There was a gut on here recently that tried everything he could think of, I asked him about the cam sensor and cap. It turns out he was 180 out and it was killing his power. Just something to think about if you haven't looked there yet.

BMR, I have not made any passes because I honestly would be embarrassed too take it too the track. Josh, I had Chris Hogeland Put in the cam sensor and he is a reputable engine builder so I feel pretty confident that it is right. Do you know any ways too check that?

Casper's makes a little deal that you plug in place of the cam sensor cap with an led light. You say Chris replaced the cam sensor, do you mean the entire distributor like shaft of just the plastic cap or both?

Both. The cam sensor was in my original motor and when I got the new one I just had him put it in since I didn't have that tool from caspers.

A couple of problems I see... If your signature is correct... You're running a stock turbo (upgrade that), a stock intercooler (at least get a duttneck for that but a front mount would be better) and 60 pound injectors. I had that same setup and my car was running really rich and slowing it down. I would upgrade those things and add a Razor's alky kit and crank the boost up to about 22-23 pounds and tune from there... We did that to one of our buddy's cars and he had to buy drag radials to get it to hook :) Just my $.02

Have you tried Dusty Bradford in Decatur?

Lane owns several GN's and is very knowledgeable

87gnguy, my signature is correct except I have added a TA49. It just seems like my car should be decently quick right now without a front mount or alky. The more I drive it the more I'm leaning towards transmission problem. Dusty said he got rid of all his factory ECM tuning stuff. He did say he would tune it with what I have which should be plenty with scan master and PL. I will see if he is free anytime soon.