TTA Trans

no he is talking about the transmission governor. Same as the GN from what I remember.

Howdy Grumpy!

How do you like PAIN? Only kiddin!
Would you please tell me what a tranny governor is and how it works? All my Buick buddies have ever said anything about this. Please help.

Frank, I'm talking about a transmission governor. Not a engine governor.

Steve K.

Hi Steve,

I did my research and now understand what you are talking about. I found that Grumpy is right, the TTA and 86 & 87 GN's trans governor are the same. In fact, the transmissions are identical in all aspects with 1 minor difference. The marking on the valve body and I don't think part numbers will help or hinder the performance of the tranny.

Well if any of you guys are coming to the TTA reunion in Ohio this year you can ask the man who installed those transmissions back in 1989 just what the differences are! The guy who designed the engine and trans to go into the car and the people that installed them will be there with open ears for these types of questions. :cool:

Well if any of you guys are coming to the TTA reunion in Ohio this year you can ask the man who installed those transmissions back in 1989 just what the differences are! The guy who designed the engine and trans to go into the car and the people that installed them will be there with open ears for these types of questions. :cool:

Hi Jim,

I really appreciate your project, it's really a good idea but, when you live in south east Texas the logistics are not favorable. 3 of our counties make up the entire state of Ohio or there abouts. Another words, it's a 2400 mile round trip. A 4 to 5 day trip. I've already met Scott Kelley in 2002 at the Woodward Dream cruise where a bunch of TTA owners hooked up an had a great party at Metals house. I made true Texas chili and brought some really fine Tequila and my good friend Lynn Brown smuggled in a case of Texas beer. Kick A**! There is a video of us cruisin Woodward, it's mostly GN's but at the end is TTA's. At the very end there's a shot of a TTA racing off a red light. That's Metals car and I'm the guy in the pass seat with a red T shirt and cowboy hat.

Hi Jim,

I really appreciate your project, it's really a good idea but, when you live in south east Texas the logistics are not favorable. 3 of our counties make up the entire state of Ohio or there abouts. Another words, it's a 2400 mile round trip. A 4 to 5 day trip. I've already met Scott Kelley in 2002 at the Woodward Dream cruise where a bunch of TTA owners hooked up an had a great party at Metals house. I made true Texas chili and brought some really fine Tequila and my good friend Lynn Brown smuggled in a case of Texas beer. Kick A**! There is a video of us cruisin Woodward, it's mostly GN's but at the end is TTA's. At the very end there's a shot of a TTA racing off a red light. That's Metals car and I'm the guy in the pass seat with a red T shirt and cowboy hat.

Hey Frank! I have guys driving TTA's as far as California now! Several driving up from Florida and I think one from Texas is driving up! It's a car meant to be driven! Load up some clothes for the weekend and come on up for the reunion! It's Ohio farm country. Plenty of shine in them farms! :) Your only preserving the car for the next guy might as well use it! :D

The winter of 89-90 I freshened up my TTA trans. Billy Moos was my transmission rebuilder. He had been building GN 200r4s for me and few other GN guys since '87. He knew his 200r4s. We broke down my trans to see if there were any differences. Because I saw the blue tag with hand written assembly numbers and wanted to know if there were any changes. The front pump had two more vanes then the GN. Either the GN had 6 or 8 vains? The TTA had 8 or 10? The plate between the valve body was different it had modifications like it had a factory shift kit. It also had TA stamped into it. One or two valves in the valve body were different. And a couple of springs. Just like it had a shift kit from the factory. I thought there was something else thats why I was thinking Gonvernor. But may have been a hardend stator. I have five of these transmissions if I get time I will get some pics and post them.

Steve K.

Jim I owe you money!!!!

FWD heads
SS headers
SS exhaust tips
1LE gas tank (baffled)
Bigger intercooler

I have the following information to add, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Different pistons (maintain compression with shallower FWD heads)
cross drilled crank shaft

The winter of 89-90 I freshened up my TTA trans. Billy Moos was my transmission rebuilder. He had been building GN 200r4s for me and few other GN guys since '87. He knew his 200r4s. We broke down my trans to see if there were any differences. Because I saw the blue tag with hand written assembly numbers and wanted to know if there were any changes. The front pump had two more vanes then the GN. Either the GN had 6 or 8 vains? The TTA had 8 or 10? The plate between the valve body was different it had modifications like it had a factory shift kit. It also had TA stamped into it. One or two valves in the valve body were different. And a couple of springs. Just like it had a shift kit from the factory. I thought there was something else thats why I was thinking Gonvernor. But may have been a hardend stator. I have five of these transmissions if I get time I will get some pics and post them.

Steve K.

Hi Steve,

1st I would like to say I respect your point of view. The problem here is I
believe you are wrong. Both tranies had 7 vanes and there was no shift kit in either tranny. The only exception was the GNX that did have a factory shift kit. There was no extra springs or any other modifications. This info comes from a person that has been building these trannies since back in the day and is still doing it now. He had an exclusive relationship with the manufacturer of these trannies. I would like to believe these special mods are true but, they're not. I will keep looking and admit if I'm wrong. Damned good post! CHEERS!

Steve K.

Jim I owe you money!!!!

I'm sending the hit man over to collect! :D I still didn't forget your sweatshirt! I need to find a free 10 mins to call you! We need to chat about the TTA reunion this year. Gotta hook up you and Scott Kelly for sure! :cool:

FWD heads
SS headers
SS exhaust tips
1LE gas tank (baffled)
Bigger intercooler

I have the following information to add, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Different pistons (maintain compression with shallower FWD heads)
cross drilled crank shaft

Hi TA579,

I'm still trying to figure out the cross drilled crank, I think it falls in the relm of the 4 bolt main bearings. I do know that the pistons have a steel skirt and the heads were chosen because they would fit and they did flow better.

what are you trying to figure out ??? They are cross drilled :cool:

Hey Grump,

I have compared the 2 cranks and didn't see any difference. Perhaps you can inform me along with the 4 bolt main bearings and the ss headers that any magnet will stick to. You know and I know this was all BS contrived to sell the cars. Just sayin!

Hey Grump,

I have compared the 2 cranks and didn't see any difference. Perhaps you can inform me along with the 4 bolt main bearings and the ss headers that any magnet will stick to. You know and I know this was all BS contrived to sell the cars. Just sayin!

There is ferrous / Magnetic and non ferrous / NON Magnetic stainless steels. Google it and you will that i am right

There is ferrous / Magnetic and non ferrous / NON Magnetic stainless steels. Google it and you will that i am right

Hi ttaowner,

I don't need to google this. The ss used for the headers is very cheap and will even rust. Yes there are grades of stainless but it's a real stretch to say that the TTA headers are ss. Let me ask you something. Can you weld? Have you ever worked with steel before? Are you a craftsman of any type? I spent 35 years doing this stuff so don't try to lecture me or refer me to google about something I made a very good living at.
Every one of us wants our cars to be special and they are. There was just a lot of hype.

Hi ttaowner,

I don't need to google this. The ss used for the headers is very cheap and will even rust. Yes there are grades of stainless but it's a real stretch to say that the TTA headers are ss. Let me ask you something. Can you weld? Have you ever worked with steel before? Are you a craftsman of any type? I spent 35 years doing this stuff so don't try to lecture me or refer me to google about something I made a very good living at.
Every one of us wants our cars to be special and they are. There was just a lot of hype.

well as a matter of a fact i am a tool +die maker/machinist/cnc lathe +miller set up and operator so i do happen to know a few things about metal :D

well as a matter of a fact i am a tool +die maker/machinist/cnc lathe +miller set up and operator so i do happen to know a few things about metal :D

Cool! Down here we just use machinist, it pretty much covers all the above, well, you gotta be able to wrench too. It appears that we both presumed something, that was wrong but, I stand by my observation and statement of the quality of the TTA headers.

Hey Grump,

the SS headers are what I call pig ss :p I have TTA cranks around here someplace. They are crossdrilled.. 4 bolt mains ..NOPE.