True 4x6 projectors!!!!!!!

83 Cannon

I see alot of post on here about H.I.D.'s and making headlights better...yea, got tired of the blue 5k, 6k, 8k, 25k, 30w, 800q, etc...
Okay so after being tired of blue, green, wanna be hid's and all, I had some real 4x6 headlights done and I just got them today...wanna see? Hope these attach correctly.

This was actually a rush job from Lightwerkz.com and they did a damn good job doing it. I didn't have the time to do these so I had them done and I am very happy with the outcome! Big props to Caesar and the entire crew for an excellent job! I can't wait to do my old school Big Block Pontiac!

The headlights used were the H4 conversion Pilot 4x6's. They also have the "angel eye" lights on each side for the parklight option. Cant wait to hook these up and finally be able to see clearly and upstage some of the other g-body's around here.

Need a bit of help with the screws tho. I'm looking for the size of the screws that go into the bezel and also that hold the headlights in (the metal frame) after getting the bezel off.

Will post more pics later...enjoy.

Attachments

• Photo0051.jpg
    Photo0051.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Photo0040.jpg
    Photo0040.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 898
  • Photo0041.jpg
    Photo0041.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 897
  • Photo0043.jpg
    Photo0043.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 956
  • Photo0048.jpg
    Photo0048.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 879
Sweet! Hopefully they install nice for you! Post pics when you're done, it'd be cool to see what they look like! Where did you find that kit?

Nice. I ordered the parts to do my projector retrofit today. What a co-inky-dink. Did you use a projector that does hi and lo beams? Thats what I'm doing. I opted not to use the angel eye housings as I want to stray away from the traditional look as little as possible. I built the headlights for my Lightning and they kick ass compared to halogens and even out perform the folks that jam the HID bulbs into the halogen housings. True HID projectors are the only way to go IMO.

Cool - are those glass bodied or plastic.... I had some diamond clear a loooooooooong time ago but they were cheaply made so i wound up going back to my older yet better Hella housings which are solid as a rock..... want to do projectors but i wanna do totally one-off pieces that are composite and eliminate the 4x6s totally....

aaron

Ok I'll bite. What the heck is a projector and what all do they do????????

Ok I'll bite. What the heck is a projector and what all do they do????????

HID projector housings are the assemblies that the HID bulbs were designed to work in. They focus ALL light output to shine where its needed, on and down the road. They also typically provide a wider pattern of light. The good ones are execptional and the bad ones are still better than sealed beam halogens. They have whats called a cut-off shield that keeps the light out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. The light thats blocked by the cut-off shield is reflected back into the housing and then back out as usable light. See the pictures of the light patterns produced by HID projectors and you see that you lose no light as 'stray glare'. The stair step in the pattern allows light to travel farther down the road in front of your car while minimizing the light that may hit oncoming drivers' eyes. Properly aimed they are the 'shizzle'.
hidpattern.jpg

When shined along a wall rather than against it you can see that no light strays above the cutoff for the entire length of the beam.
063.jpg

Not all projectors are created equal. Believe it or not there are folks who take as much pride in modifying there headlights as we do in modifying our engines/transmissions/rear ends/wheels/tires/ect... The website I found HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum - The Buzz is very informative and helped me to get my lighting like I wanted it on my Lightning.

The second pic is before the final adjustments were made. The light sits much straighter without the gaps surrounding it.

Attachments

• drivers side.JPG
    drivers side.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_2752.jpg
    IMG_2752.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 470
@ Nasty Wendy...yea I had the Morimoto H1's put in since I was told that those were the only one's that may have had enough clearance to fit inside of the 4x6.
@6cylboost...alot. But being in a rush to get my car or maybe a friends car ready for a shoot I wanted to have those lights available.

In the future, I may try and put in an Fx or TL projector and see how those work...if they'll fit that is. I saw a guy on one of these blogs in '03 that took a pre-fab projector and gutted it and installed a E46 projector of his own. Wish I had gone that route. The housing looked like it was made for it.

Too bad they can't use a standard looking headlight to keep it more factory appearing. The lights should work great, looking forward to seeing the results. Keep us posted, what's the shoot all about? Magazine?

Peter

83 Cannon, have you installed them yet? I'm eager to see how much cutting of the bucket and plastic behind it you wil have to do. My parts came in and I began working on fitting it all together. My projector looks larger than yours from the pics so I figure I'll be doing a bit more cutting. I was disappointed that I couldn't find a 4X6 housing that didn't have that dumb little blue mood light. I thought I had found one so I ordered it. I was a little upset when I took them out of the box and there were mood lights in it. I sent the folks I purchased it from an email with a few choice words in it. I'm not going to use bezels. My install will be clean enough to not need them but that reveals the mood light. I am contemplating replacing the blue bulb with an amber bulb and connecting it to the parking light circuit. I think I might prefer 'Angel Eyes' over the mood lights because you can always not hook them up and not see any indication that something is there.

Too bad they can't use a standard looking headlight to keep it more factory appearing. The lights should work great, looking forward to seeing the results. Keep us posted, what's the shoot all about? Magazine?

Peter

They will never look totally factory because of the need for clear front lense but I agree with making it look factory appearing would be awesome.

I hope to have a few pics soon.

Hello Wendy and fellow Turboteers...

SMFH...Wendy, save yourself from doing this project lol...damn this is a task. I've had to get a bit creative on the install and I'm not even disconnecting my front clip...which would be alot easier if I did. But as for now, my car is a driver and I'm trying to do as much to it while not disassembling it at all.

It's not so much the install...the wiring and the buckets are what gives me the blues. If you can...cut or have your buckets cut it will be Ssooooooooo much easier!!! Please trust me when I tell you. Three different pair of pliers and forearms are good...but a heavy duty Dremel and a piece of mine are alot better.

Map out where you want to mount your ballasts and wiring circuits. This can be a bit tricky but g-body's are wonderful at being able to use pre-existing holes in the frame for all kinds of mounting and strapping. I'll try and have pics up soon...I don't see where people find the time to do projects AND take pics...geesh.

Preliminary mock up is done. Nothing is permanent yet. I did have to cut my buckets and the headerpanel to get my lights to fit. It wasn't bad but this ain't for you if you don't want to cut anything. I was concerned about not getting enough clearance to fit the light deep enough 'in the hole' but I actually need to bring it forward ~ 3/8". Either my header panel or my headlight bezels are 'off' because the upper & lower screw holes behind the side marker light don't line up. I've never had them out so this is the first I've noticed this. If anybody knows why this could be I'd appreciate a little insight. Anyway here are the mock up pics. I can also tell you that the light output is FREAKING AWESOME compared to the stock set up. I will snap some more pics tonight so that you can see the difference between the stock sealed beam which I still have on the drivers side and the projector which is mocked up on the passenger side.

Keep in mind this is a mock up. They will be PERFECTLY straight when mounted permanantly. You can see the temporary spacers I used for the mock up and they will not be a part of the final product. The dam factory lights aren't very straight either so they will also be tweaked. I am encouraged by the progress so far. Stay tuned for the night time pics as well.

Attachments

• head on p side.jpg
    head on p side.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 438
  • no bezel.jpg
    no bezel.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 382
  • mock up.jpg
    mock up.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 411
Wendy nnoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!1

First of all I want to say to Wendy that I hate your guts, mainly because you have a much better car than mine and also, I really hate how your projectors are damn near color coded to the housing of your 4x6 head headlights and that they look so much cooler than the one's I have...so in all...you make me more sick than a pillow case full of steamed bagder backs stuffed with skunk asses and boiled yak hooves.

Okay now that we have that out of the way (jk), please tell me why you cut your actual front clip???? Aawww Wendy!!!!!! If you dont have the halo option on each side of your 4x6, then you have plenty of room to house that light. As long as the back of the housing is "cut" and not "curled" in some places so it doesnt seat properly in that hole (giggity) like I did...you will NOT have to do any modifications to your car...AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now...while one of my bright lights were out I started looking at that hole (giggity) and wondered if I should attempt a flush bumper (Chip Foose style) and just use the hole itself to put any size I wanted in it (giggity) or maybe do an intake conversion. This way, Acura TL and Lexus LS430 (one of the best projectors out on the market) projector would be prime!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a thought tho.

Attachments

• Photo0090.jpg
    Photo0090.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 336
  • Photo0080.jpg
    Photo0080.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 309
  • Photo0081.jpg
    Photo0081.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 306
  • Photo0082.jpg
    Photo0082.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 332
  • Photo0083.jpg
    Photo0083.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 295
First of all I want to say to Wendy that I hate your guts, mainly because you have a much better car than mine and also, I really hate how your projectors are damn near color coded to the housing of your 4x6 head headlights and that they look so much cooler than the one's I have...so in all...you make me more sick than a pillow case full of steamed bagder backs stuffed with skunk asses and boiled yak hooves.

That kind of sounds like a recipe for Hog's Head Cheese......tastee.:)

Okay now that we have that out of the way (jk), please tell me why you cut your actual front clip???? Aawww Wendy!!!!!! If you dont have the halo option on each side of your 4x6, then you have plenty of room to house that light. As long as the back of the housing is "cut" and not "curled" in some places so it doesnt seat properly in that hole (giggity) like I did...you will NOT have to do any modifications to your car...AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now...while one of my bright lights were out I started looking at that hole (giggity) and wondered if I should attempt a flush bumper (Chip Foose style) and just use the hole itself to put any size I wanted in it (giggity) or maybe do an intake conversion. This way, Acura TL and Lexus LS430 (one of the best projectors out on the market) projector would be prime!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a thought tho.

Me thinks the projectors I used are larger than the ones you used. Mine put out the same as the Acura TLs and thats worth cutting the panel for. The light output from this one makes the stockers look, well, 24 years old. I also set the projector lense as far back into the housing as I could to help it look better. Doing this put more 'bulk' further back and necesitated cutting. I was able to keep the inside of the light 'cleaner' and didn't need to use a bezel to hide anything this way. This IMO makes it look more 'normal' and less 'toyed with'. Notice in the last pic how the natural light reflections form concentric circles around the project's lense. I think that adds to the cleanness of the look.

More pics...finished yesterday and was geeked when I finished. whats so bad is that only one of my headlights were showing correctly and it damn near lit up the whole road. I've adjusted them, vice gripped all of the stray and curled metal from behind (giggity) the headlight bucket, and now everything is installed correctly. I've adjusted the lights so that they shine all over the road instead of shining shallow.
Photo0091.jpgPhoto0092.jpgPhoto0087.jpgPhoto0088.jpg

I've longed to have these projectors so that they may be helpfull instead of just a show off piece. And I really hate the folks that have them or have had them replaced and don't aim them correctly...smh. If you have a better light, use it please. The beam is sharp and doesn't have too much of a residual just in the case of aiming error.

I will take more pics this evening; especially now that I have both headlights corrected! Yes I feel giddy about it! I do hate that my car isn't painted right now to go with the freshness of the lights...but in do time. Priotrity's are first...like engine work! lol

Mine aren't aimed yet but I am just at the beginning stages of this project. I'll put up some pics to show the difference between the stock driver's side and the projector passenger side in a few.

I put my camera on manual to insure that all the pictures were taken with the same exposure time and aperature. This is a true comparison without enhancements by camera settings. The first pic is the driver's side low beam (factory sealed headlight). The next three are the passenger side low beam (HID projector headlight). The last one I moved farther back to get a better look at the width of the beam. In my driveway the single light was as wide as my two car garage.

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3445.jpg
    IMG_3445.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg