Transmission shopping...

sakudog

After many many street races and over 590 rwtq, my Jimmy's Stage I 2004R Transmission won't engage 1st. I really can't complain about Jimmy's Trans lasting 36 months behind well over 650 crank tq but I'm considering another direction all together 4L80E.

4L80E who offers the best solution for our cars?

2004R who offers the best re-build/options for our cars?

Mr. Spool,

Can you help me with that?

Also, it seems like Lonnie at Extreme Trans is a legit dude with legit operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Spool,

Can you help me with that?

Also, it seems like Lonnie at Extreme Trans is a legit dude with legit operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think if you go with either vendor you will be just fine. I have an EA trans and can't say enough good things about Lonnie, his work, and his customer service, he's a good dude. I have no experience with Dave H. But I have read many good things about him as well on the board.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Sounds like your happy with Jimmy's........why not go back to him and have him step it up for your power level.

im recommending dave because I run one of his billet duel fed 200's on a very aggressive combo that I race and street drive.the trans is really impressive and will make you rethink the 4l80e.

So far, after researching I'm 90% sold on sticking with a well built 2004R. My car has seen 8000 miles over 36 months since I did the E85 conversion making over 590 rwtq and it has been rock solid until now. The transmission I have now was built in 2006 by Jimmy's for the previous owner and it is only a state I transmission. I'd like to just get something slapped in and be done after the TV adjustment is set and break-in.

I'll call around but I've got to say, Extreme Automatic's website has a plethora of incredibly valuable information & it appears I could get something shipped to me by the middle of next week with out a core charge because they make their own Buick GN VB equivalent.

Regarding the car not engaging in 1st, but working in 2nd and other gears.......

I'm not missing some sort of minor adjustment on my side am I? I think this thing is a core now but please let me know if there is something minor I need to adjust/change. Thanks.

From Extreme Automatic's Tech 101:

TH200-4R Starts in 2nd Gear

2nd Gear starts are a common complaint on the 2004R. In most cases the problem is caused by the TV cable adjustment. This is a very easy check. Drive the car to reproduce the problem. When the car feels like its taking off from a dead stop in 2nd stop the car. Move the shifter into neutral and then shift back into overdrive. If the car takes off in 1st your TV cable adjustment is too tight. If the car takes off in 2nd consult your builder.

My results were " Consult your builder "

I would recommend calling the vendors to see who can best meet your needs & budget.

I have been happy dealing with David Husek's Turbo Buick Performance.

Well after a week of calls, debating and discussion with friends and family, I elected to go with David Husek's TBP transmission. The 4 builders recommended from the board, Century Automotive, Extreme Transmissions, Jimmy's and Turbo Buick Performance. What I found is all 4 of these guys know each other and respect each other greatly. They are all good guys, you can't go wrong with any of them.

My transmission decision:
Husek TBP 200r4 with Husek 3021 3500rpm stall

Why: David was incredibly professional, quick to spend time with me to explain everything about everything. Diagnose what was the most likely root cause (RCA) of the failure and make professional recommendations. Finally David was able to deliver a solution very quickly and provide input on fixing some other problems. My feeling was, David was going to be available and easily accessible when I went to install the transmission and if I had any questions as we went forward. Everything so far has been great working with him and I would recommend him as a 1st choice of the 4 very competent builders listed in this thread.

All 4 vendors are best in class Turbo Buick transmission builders with great reputations and solid followings. My dead transmission was a Stage I from Jimmy's in Chicago which means it was essentially stock with a shift kit and it survived 600 rwtq for 2.5 years, no service and a improperly designed cooling system in HOT as hell Texas. Jimmy makes a FINE box, the reason it failed:

1) Cooling System:

The Cooling system was CRAP as the 3rd Gen F-body radiator cooler was bypassed and transmission cooler lines were routed to an undersized B&M cooler, with no air-flow and no auxiliary fan. Although I had no trans temp gauge or logs, I do have a cup of absolutely burnt trans fluid, the trans cooked.

2) Improper Maintenance:

Had I actually been doing transmission fluid changes I would have known my fluid was burning, and probably done some research to discovered issue #1. I've had my Turbo Buick for 3 years, it has had about 600 rwtq for 2.5 of those and I've never changed the fluid and only checked it once. This will never happen again, but it was an expensive lesson. All of my fast cars have been Standards, needless to say the CTS-V got a full Dextron 6 fluid flush last week. :)

3) Inadequate Transmission Internals:

On top of an improperly designed cooling system & Improper Maintenance, my transmission wasn't really built for what I was doing with it. That being said, I'm not sure I would have proactively done much about that but the Jimmy's stage I trans, like all the builders stage I trans is just not built for that type of power.

4) TV Cable improperly adjusted:

The TV Cable adjustment on the Turbo Buick (given all the factory parts are there) is pretty easy, but leaving it loose and thus not increasing line pressure at heavy throttle applications was not smart. I'm not sure this should be on this list because it is hard to misadjust. I'm not 100% sure mine was ever off but I never really checked it until I lost 1st gear so I have to put it on here and maybe it should fall under #2.

Well guys, I've learned a LOT of lessons on the Turbo Buick Transmissions. 1, they are pretty weak compared to say a 6L90 but going to a 4L80 (after doing the Math) was $1200 or so more than going with a "Stage 2.5 or 3 2004R". Plus fabrication time and crap that I just don't want to do on this car. 2, you should match your converter with the Turbo, I think the Husek 3021 is going to be the right fit for a car that sees only the street and gets raced from a slow role to the 100 mph range every once in a while. I'm going to post a thread on my transmission cooling system build and install just to share later today.

Thanks again everyone.

After many many street races and over 590 rwtq, my Jimmy's Stage I 2004R Transmission won't engage 1st. I really can't complain about Jimmy's Trans lasting 36 months behind well over 650 crank tq but I'm considering another direction all together 4L80E.

4L80E who offers the best solution for our cars?

2004R who offers the best re-build/options for our cars?

Give Vince Janis a call

0302141538b.jpg

just talked to DAVID H. wow that's a cool guy....my trans just stopped pulling in all forward he says it sounds like stator...but we wont know till I tear it down....real cool guy...he said it was strange that I have reverse though...but he thinks thats it ...wow down but not out...

Last edited:
Dave is awesome I just talked to him too. He's about done with my transmission and took the time to tell me everything if transmission is as good as his customer support I'm beyond impressed

Regarding the car not engaging in 1st, but working in 2nd and other gears.......

I'm not missing some sort of minor adjustment on my side am I? I think this thing is a core now but please let me know if there is something minor I need to adjust/change. Thanks.
Are you saying that the car starts out in second gear? If so,it should engage first if you manually shift into first.
If it doesn't,the 1-2 shift valve is stuck.

Last edited: