Transmission shift issue

DOUGGN

Went to the track last night and experienced some shifting issues. When running the car in D it would sometimes not make the shift from 2nd to 3rd unless I let off the throttle for a second. If I ran the car with the shifter in OD it seemed to shift fine. I guess my first question is why is it doing this and secondly is it bad to run the car in OD like that? Transmission is the stock 200R4/Converter with some mild shift enhancements from David Husek.

You have to determine if the shift is being commanded or not. If not then a possible leak in the governor circuit. What road speed was the shift occurring at when it is ok. D and OD should be the same at WOT other than it won't go into 4th if in D

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Brian - I looked at one of the power logger files and it appears to be around 63 mph that it goes to third. I can't seem to get the power logger file to upload - I hate windows 8. This is the first time I had it to the track with the TA49 on it that I got from you. If you know any trick to get the PL file to upload I will send it to you. The run was a 12.70 at 107mph.

BPE2013@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]
You have to determine if the shift is being commanded or not. If not then a possible leak in the governor circuit. What road speed was the shift occurring at when it is ok. D and OD should be the same at WOT other than it won't go into 4th if in D

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Got on the old windows XP computer for the upload

Attachments

• 100314-10.dat
    126.8 KB · Views: 60
The ECU has no part in the shift calibration. It's all done hydraulically and mechanically in the trans. You could go off the 3rd switch to see if the shift occurred. You Intermittent no 2-3 could be stuck shift valve or debris. 63 seems to early to be in 3rd.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

The ECU has no part in the shift calibration. It's all done hydraulically and mechanically in the trans. You could go off the 3rd switch to see if the shift occurred. You Intermittent no 2-3 could be stuck shift valve or debris. 63 seems to early to be in 3rd.

BPE2013@hotmail.com
Were you able to view the power log file? I'm pretty sure it's running up to near 5000 rpm before the shift. As far as debris - I have had the pan off and it is very clean inside. Not being a transmission repair person do you have any instructions that I could follow to check some of these concerns out? Thanks for the help.

Doug

Are you running a deep pan and/or a bottom feed filter? Are you keeping the fluid level a quart over the full mark on the stick when you have it warmed up? You could be running hard enough to uncover a 2004r top feed filter. Might try to borrow a gauge and make some runs and watch the pressure to see if it drops off.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Are you running a deep pan and/or a bottom feed filter? Are you keeping the fluid level a quart over the full mark on the stick when you have it warmed up? You could be running hard enough to uncover a 2004r top feed filter. Might try to borrow a gauge and make some runs and watch the pressure to see if it drops off.

No and No. I was not aware that either of these things were required on a car with the mods I have. What would cause me to need to run the transmission overfull?

I run a 700r4 filter and run it over full. You do need to address the 4th gear switch.

I modified the clip to help the filter . Working so far for me with a stock pan.

I run a 700r4 filter and run it over full. You do need to address the 4th gear switch.

I modified the clip to help the filter . Working so far for me with a stock pan.

When you say that I need to address the 4th gear switch - is that a replacement or adjustment?

The body on the filter is metal and can ground the switch if left out in the open. You can see where I shrunk some heat shrink on the connector to keep it from contacting the filter and shorting.

The body on the filter is metal and can ground the switch if left out in the open. You can see where I shrunk some heat shrink on the connector to keep it from contacting the filter and shorting.

So are you saying that the stock 200r4 filter I am using is coming into contact with the switch and causing the problem?

I moved the filter clip forward on the valve body, just like as shown on the link TexasT provided, and that prevented the metal part of the filter coming in contact with the switch. Did not have to heat shrink mine. The 2004R filter will not have that shorting issue. It's only when you use the 700r4 filter.

Don is a great resource of 2004r info. He is alkyv6 in here and was very helpful when I was planning and assembling mine.

So are you saying that the stock 200r4 filter I am using is coming into contact with the switch and causing the problem?
I think you are running quick enough to be 'starving' the trans of fluid. What I posted is a way(the cheapest I found) to keep your trans picking up fluid. This might solve your problem. A deep pan with a bottom feeder setup is another option but that didn't fit my budget.

I think you are running quick enough to be 'starving' the trans of fluid. What I posted is a way(the cheapest I found) to keep your trans picking up fluid. This might solve your problem. A deep pan with a bottom feeder setup is another option but that didn't fit my budget.

Thanks for all the help and information! I will start with adding more fluid and go from there.