Trans temps with an Orange Stripe Converter

Mountain GN

No, it doesn't have a V8.
Just put in an Orange Stripe converter with a new Stage 1 trans from Lonnie.

Everything works great, but I noticed my trans temps are way higher than before. I expected this with a stall converter, but I saw 250 on the trans temp gauge going up a hill unlocked at about 30 MPH.

Now, I'm running a B&M plate cooler plumbed directly to the trans and eliminating the cooler in the radiator. With the stock converter and this setup, I never saw much higher than 200.

It does go back down after getting up to speed and locked in clear air.

Should I add the radiator cooler back in? Should I try to change the fluid asap, knowing that it's been heated pretty badly? It only got to 250 once for about 15 minutes, but has spent 20 miles or so in the 230s.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Orange stripe should NOT create that much heat. I would definitely add some more cooler, and change the fluid. If you find it runs warm/hot even after adding another/larger cooler, I would think about switching to synthetic. Supposedly they can handle higher temps and not break down as quickly.

Also, did you contact Lonnie? I have always heard good things about him, and I am sure he would have some info for you, or things to check.

Trans Cooling, Water vs Air

The Orange Stripe really isn't an efficiently designed TC, it will run slightly hotter than a 10" TC with the same stall rating.

From PATC's site:
Transmission Cooling: You must have a transmission cooler in your radiator regardless of what someone has told you for the transmission to last. Auxiliary coolers are just that, in addition to. Water cools 32 times better (faster) than air always, period. In the case of air vs. water, there is no contest - water is way better. The transmission fluid comes directly from the torque converter at a much higher temperature than the water in your radiator and is cooled to the water temperature fast. Then it goes to the auxiliary cooler to be cooled far below the water temperature. If you don't need a cooler in your radiator why does GM spend all that money doing so? If you wanted to cool a red hot piece of steel fast would you stick it in water or air, see the point.

Orange stripe should NOT create that much heat. I would definitely add some more cooler, and change the fluid. If you find it runs warm/hot even after adding another/larger cooler, I would think about switching to synthetic. Supposedly they can handle higher temps and not break down as quickly.

Also, did you contact Lonnie? I have always heard good things about him, and I am sure he would have some info for you, or things to check.

The Orange Stripe really isn't an efficiently designed TC, it will run slightly hotter than a 10" TC with the same stall rating.

From PATC's site:
Transmission Cooling: You must have a transmission cooler in your radiator regardless of what someone has told you for the transmission to last. Auxiliary coolers are just that, in addition to. Water cools 32 times better (faster) than air always, period. In the case of air vs. water, there is no contest - water is way better. The transmission fluid comes directly from the torque converter at a much higher temperature than the water in your radiator and is cooled to the water temperature fast. Then it goes to the auxiliary cooler to be cooled far below the water temperature. If you don't need a cooler in your radiator why does GM spend all that money doing so? If you wanted to cool a red hot piece of steel fast would you stick it in water or air, see the point.

Thank you for the insight. I'll do a change and plumb the factory cooler back into the circuit.

So, looks like the car has a non-stock radiator. It appears to be plumbed over the oil cooler, and that's what is hooked up: The oil lines. The only cooler in the car for the trans is the auxilary cooler. Since the car has been in the family since day one, I can only assume that my Dad put a new radiator in it and couldn't get the correct part for a TR. So, he added a cooler for the trans and is running the oil through the radiator.

Since the radiator is in great condition, there's really no need to replace it, so we're going to add an Imperial 28,000 GVWR stacked plate cooler in series with the existing cooler. We're also going to put a fan on it. That should give me adequate cooling with the stall converter.