Trans Build for Low 10s

Rotti54

Hey guys building my lightweight WE4 for low 10s prob between a 10.1-10.3 in the quarter. I don't want to waste money and was going to have a trans built with a stage right brake, do I need a Stage 2 or Stage 3 Build. There's $1,000 difference between the two and I'll be taking prob 30-40 passes a year! Thanks for your input it's much appreciated....

Imo if the cars gonna weigh over 3300# and 40+ passes a year id look into a th400 for that power level.

Imo if the cars gonna weigh over 3300# and 40+ passes a year id look into a th400 for that power level.
X2... If its lightweight your probably going to retain the 3.42 or even go to 3.23 so you won't miss the OD and the gear spread is more favorable.
AG.

Ok good points Ill look into the 400 a bit more
I agree with th400 I had ck performance set me up my trans over 3 yrs ago, going strong .My car is setup like your asking and my car is 3820 lbs ! :) And I only trans break it every time ,never an issue.

Great info Reaper231 about how much did the trans cost with the trans brake? What HP you pushing?

I don't know... I really really like my stage 2 trans from Lonnie and don't think the TH400 is necessary. On the power level of a low 10 second car, the gearing on the 200 probably helps the 60ft.

On my trans, we finally found the planetaries to be stripped (almost from original build) This was messed up from the 2nd time I used the transbrake on the car. Basically, the car wouldn't go anywhere on the 2nd pass on the transbrake at each track outing; it would then catch when I let off the throttle and took off and car would still go faster than 130mph. The trans worked fine on the footbrake, so I mistakingly thought I was spinning the radials with not enough shocks. Figured that out so, that's now upgraded that piece anything thing else to billet. Besides that the trans hasn't missed a beat. I made about 10 mid 10 or faster runs last year with 1/2 faster than 10.40.

Wow thats good to know! Im still leaning towards keeping the 200 and doing a stage 3 build on it! I think the availability to use overdrive is key considering its more of a street car than a drag car!

Yeah maybe you guys are probably right. Ill think about the 400, but i dont want to give up OD. Gear Vendors units are great but NOT Cheap!!!

A well built stage iii like you're considering should live even in a heavy car in the 10s. Lonnie warranties them doesn't he?

At some expense just about anything can be made to live. Sounds like your looking to not spend a huge amount of money. If your looking at the overall $$$$ than should keep the 400 option open. If you already have a converter it will probably cost more to got to the th400 anyway since you will need to also get a new driveshaft and slip yoke. With 30-40 passes a year durability would be my concern and may have some growing pains with the 200R4 and honestly Bison is the only one I would trust to build a Trans to last under those conditions but then again I'm not up to speed on what other trans builders have to offer.
AG.

Great info Reaper231 about how much did the trans cost with the trans brake? What HP you pushing?
Well the Trans was done over 3 yrs ago I think it was around 1100/1200 at the time I think the Trans I got was built for 850 hp with the brake . My car is not caged I got kicked out of track at 10.58 at 129 mph and my combo will go 133/135 easy with my new 9.5 billet converter n 70 gtq turbo . And I drive the car everywhere to it'll avg 21 mpg and I keep et pro race tires on it always . I'm sure prices are a lil higher now , but ck is a great guy . Reason I went th400 , pricing , hard to break , still get over 20 mpg , and I'm not paying over 3500/5500 on a Trans unless it's a 4l80 .

How much are you going to drive it off the track?
400’s Suck on a daily driver.
I just sold my car which had a 400 and ran the numbers you want and then some.
I hated the 400 on the highway and for street driving, but flawless on the track.
The car I race now has a EA Stage 2 and its awesome in both areas.
Im going to put more power to the car this season and have no worries about the trans.

If was building a TSM car, the 400.
If a THS car or slower the Overdrive rules.
Stage 2 trans from Lonnie is the way to go.

Here's my opinion. This car will be making 30-40 passes a year. That's a considerable amount at low 10 sec levels. If the car is setup correctly it could definitely benefit from a TH 400 and for the following reasons. Gearing is much better in a th400 for a low 10 or better car, the selection of trans brake valve bodies available, increased clutch capacity without the need for apply/release timing, variable stall if needed and cheaper freshening. Servicing and calibration of a th400 is a lot easier than a 200-4R also. It will be a stronger transmission and make the car faster at the same time. A few hundred rpm on the highway matters little. Having a quicker car that is easier to stage and has increased clutch capacity and more favorable hydraulics would be my choice for this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's another thing that people don't think about or realize either way you go. I know some people that literally beat on their cars all the time... we're talking 10.99 and faster trim driving around and just hammering the throttle every chance they get. What happens when you this? Well, it's just another pass down the track! Just because a car isn't "raced' at the track doesn't mean it's not making many many passes on parts. Guys I know that have done this "wonder" why their trans and other parts are being rebuilt more often than others, well it's because they are running full blast in 100deg heat with a/c on. and just made 30 passes each cruise night weekend.... all of this affects longevity in a street/strip car.

If you contact Dave Husek [turbobuick performance] or Lonnie Diers at [Extreme automatics] who are both vendors here, I'm sure they will be straight with you and give you what you need.

Those two guys have more combined experience with the 2004r than anyone else I know.

Do yourself a favor and call the experts and stop getting opinions, Lonnie not only specializes in the 2004r but also TH 400's.

Either way if you get a trans or just advice from either of these guys you will be happy because of their honesty and time they will spend getting you the right trans for YOU and YOUR needs.

A prepped super sticky track is a lot harder on your trans then the street wot blasts you do around town laying patches.