Tranny flid ? Mobilfluid 424?

I called the 800 number and talked to an application engineer briefly regarding the use of Mobilfluid 424 in automobile transmissions. FWIW, he told me that the 424 fluid did not have the right 'additives' to be run on the street. He recommended a Dextron III fluid or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for automatic transmission use. Pretty much what I expected him to say...

Kurt Ehrhardt

Guys it works good. I have had it in my trans for 8 months or more. Its used in Allison Automatic transmissions that are in large trucks on hiway and will replace typeF and Dextron. Much better than the synthetic Mobil and dextron. There are many racers that run this stuff.

Lonnie Diers

fyi--

i called the oil supply house we use at work today and was quoted $6.75/gallon($33.75/5 gal bucket).good in stock.

later,sean

here's my guess...

i'm betting there's some kind of d.o.t. approval for automotive applications.they probably don't want to mess around with it,so they say "buy dextron".

similar to how aftermarket plumbing(earl's,aeroquip,russel's,etc)is for "offroad use only".yeah,like a stainless-braided-teflon brake line is inferior to a rubber/fiber stock pos...:rolleyes:

just my guess...

later,sean

Holy bum strecher Batman!
That is a high price for that stuff!
I can get it up here for:
Mobilfluid 424 $3.24/L Canadian
Shell Donax TD $2.20/L
Nemco TGH $2.15/L

These are all the same products. Don't know why the price difference, but they are identical in formulation.
Cool.........cheaper than Type F!:)

Does it hafta be Mobilfluid? I was cross-referenced over to Union/76 "tractor/hydraulic fluid". It meets all CAT and Allison trans spec requirements.

I wonder if the Allison 5-speeds in the new Chevy trucks use this stuff?

Originally posted by Adam Whitman
Does it hafta be Mobilfluid? I was cross-referenced over to Union/76 "tractor/hydraulic fluid". It meets all CAT and Allison trans spec requirements.

I wonder if the Allison 5-speeds in the new Chevy trucks use this stuff?

The 424 is factory fill in new W/Star cab and chassis with the Allison trans and the Twin Disk trans. It should be the same as the one in the pick-up. I am sure the other brands are the same or simalar but the 424 Exceeds the requirements the others meet requirements. I have just used the 424 and the pennzoil hydra trans. The 424 is 10-30 the hydra trans is 15w and the 424 shifts better IMO. When you take a tranny apart after using this stuff the trans is like new no wear signs at all. The writing is still on the clutches. I would say the other brands will also work well as long as they are the same quality.

Lonnie Diers

Originally posted by WSLN 6
Holy bum strecher Batman!
That is a high price for that stuff!
I can get it up here for:
Mobilfluid 424 $3.24/L Canadian
Shell Donax TD $2.20/L
Nemco TGH $2.15/L

These are all the same products. Don't know why the price difference, but they are identical in formulation.
Cool.........cheaper than Type F!:)

I hate to throw a wrench into the works but... You are talking liters. Approx 4 L make a gal so multiply your price X 4 . Hmmm not so cheap huh. :)

BTW
Thanks for the cross refrence

Paul

got a 5 gallon bucket in the garage.:)

$33.85 out the door.

later,sean

Wow! I never meant for this to turn the community upside down.
However, this is very interesting. We mix about 80% th to 20% atf (dextronIII/Mercon) for color and for easier to read on dipstick. Stuff works great and can be found all over reasonable.

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com