Traffic cameras everywhere

NY87GN

Just want to start off by saying I am a law abiding citizen and in addition to that, I have never received a moving violation ticket during my 30 years of driving. Most importantly, I have a profoundly deep respect for our law enforcement.
HOWEVER, it has become imposable to drive in New York City I don’t understand why there is a need to have traffic cameras everywhere. I understand the city is in desperate need for additional revenue. But asking someone to drive 25mph, this is unreasonable. I can ride my bicycle faster than that. Just driving my daily driver is difficult to keep under 25mph. What the use of having a quick car if you have to look constantly over your shoulder or at the speedometer..
Has anyone had success with clear coat or similar to avoid this over the top revenue collecting problem. I appreciate any feedback.. And please I dont want to hear about tampering with you plate is against the law BS.

Many thanks!!!

The "revenue" aspect doesn't concern me in the least. I'd love to see cameras at our lights, so damned many red-light runners down here. I usually have to wait for 2 or 3 cars to pass before I can go. I've been tempted to pull out just to watch them dodge me, but with my luck they'd prolly head-on somebody...

Unfortunately there is nothing that works to conceal your plate.

Unless you have some mechanical device to hide it.

D

Yea I'm still waiting on that toll fine...and the red light running on the trip to kirbans....LOL..Mike

In every state, it is unlawful to cover your license plate with anything, including anti-reflective spray. Smoked and clear covers are technically illegal.

However there is an alternative.

Build a custom license plate frame using about 120 infrared LED's and power them with the license plate light wiring, using suitable current limiting resistors. Aim the LED's inward to "illuminate" the plate. You would be effectively flooding the plate with light.

To understand the reflective nature of the standard license plate, try taking a flash picture of your car when the flash is aimed straight at the plate; the numerals will be burned out of the image and your camera won't record the plate numbers.

Because the license plate uses reflective paint, any additional light, particularly IR, will be concentrated on the plate surface. Infrared light is invisible to the human eye so it's virtually undetectable.

The effect is that the plate will be severely over-exposed with light, and the traffic camera, sensitive to low light and IR, will capture a white burned-out spot where the plate should be, while the rest of the vehicle will be properly exposed. The detail on your license plate will be indecipherable. And, you are not covering the plate with anything, so it's perfectly legal.

Along the same line, you could theoretically flood the inside of the windshield of your car with the same IR light and prevent any camera from capturing an image inside of the car - again, flooded out with excessive light. And yet, driving the car, you would not visibly see any additional light inside.

Disclaimer: This is just theory, and would make an interesting science fair project....

In every state, it is unlawful to cover your license plate with anything, including anti-reflective spray. Smoked and clear covers are technically illegal.

However there is an alternative.

Build a custom license plate frame using about 120 infrared LED's and power them with the license plate light wiring, using suitable current limiting resistors. Aim the LED's inward to "illuminate" the plate. You would be effectively flooding the plate with light.

To understand the reflective nature of the standard license plate, try taking a flash picture of your car when the flash is aimed straight at the plate; the numerals will be burned out of the image and your camera won't record the plate numbers.

Because the license plate uses reflective paint, any additional light, particularly IR, will be concentrated on the plate surface. Infrared light is invisible to the human eye so it's virtually undetectable.

The effect is that the plate will be severely over-exposed with light, and the traffic camera, sensitive to low light and IR, will capture a white burned-out spot where the plate should be, while the rest of the vehicle will be properly exposed. The detail on your license plate will be indecipherable. And, you are not covering the plate with anything, so it's perfectly legal.

Along the same line, you could theoretically flood the inside of the windshield of your car with the same IR light and prevent any camera from capturing an image inside of the car - again, flooded out with excessive light. And yet, driving the car, you would not visibly see any additional light inside.

Disclaimer: This is just theory, and would make an interesting science fair project....
its only unlawful wen ur plate is NOT visible. with an on/off switch the PDLC membrane from Ghost Plate can be turned on or off.

wat ur referring to as far as lighting is nothn new and already developed. http://www.nophoto.com

Nophoto uses what photographers have used for years; basically a "slave" flash that triggers when the master flash fires, using a photo detector. That will work the same way. Flood the plate with light and fire it off when it sees a flash.

What I was suggesting is a permanent light source which will flood the plate in daylight as well. A strobe fill during daylight might not be enough to blot the plate out, but would be much more effective at night.

The ghost product, however, covers the plate and is illegal, pure and simple. You could get a citation if it were installed over the plate.

The wording of the laws is pretty specific and simply stated, prohibits ANY covering on your plate. I believe this is pretty much universal throughout the states.

Nophoto uses what photographers have used for years; basically a "slave" flash that triggers when the master flash fires, using a photo detector. That will work the same way. Flood the plate with light and fire it off when it sees a flash.

What I was suggesting is a permanent light source which will flood the plate in daylight as well. A strobe fill during daylight might not be enough to blot the plate out, but would be much more effective at night.

The ghost product, however, covers the plate and is illegal, pure and simple. You could get a citation if it were installed over the plate at all times but those are only an issue wen its too dark to read.

The wording of the laws is pretty specific and simply stated, prohibits ANY covering on your plate. I believe this is pretty much universal throughout the states.
first of all the Nophoto works perfectly fine during the day. it wud be kinda stupid to design one that works at nite only.

Ghost plate only works wen u want it to work like wen ur approaching an area that has cameras. its a switch on/switch off design. it doesn't stay on all the time. that wud kinda defeat its purpose don't ya think.... so yes pure and simple it is.

cops are not concerned with clear license plate covers. their used all the time with good reason like keeping debris off ur plate so it can actually be legible and doesn't get stuck in-between the numbers or letters. they are concerned with tinted license plate covers that obstruct the plate.

and most states have statutes pertaining to where the license plate light has to be located and what direction it faces so not to blind other drivers. having 120 LED's blasting out wud sure be illegal, pure and simple.....

a permanent light source on ones plate wud only serve to illuminate the plate so traffic cameras wud see it even more clearly. the obstructed light needs to go off at the same time as the traffic camera. Nophoto times and fires the flash at the same time the traffic camera goes off to overexpose the traffic camera.

its also illegal to exceed the speed limit but I bet you do it every day of ur life wen operating a car. unless you want me to believe you do 25 mph in a 25 mph zone....

Thank God there are none here in NH except for the Easy Pass. They wouldn't last a week here without being destroyed. Live Free and don't take my picture.

Maybe you don't understand what INFRARED LED's do. They're invisible. Stare into your TV remote and push the button...invisible. So, nothing illegal about 120 or 1200 LED's on a plate.

And you might want to read the legal code regarding license plate covers in your state...cop discretion, but you could be ticketed. Take a look. And see if you can find any code relative to "blinding" the oncoming traffic with a plate angle. I'd be interested in that.

If you use nophoto or ghost, please post your comments. If not, your guess is good as mine.

And if you understand how cameras work, you will understand that illuminating one spot in an otherwise normal photo will burn that spot and make it illegible. Exposure needs to be even across the board for a normal capture.

You're right John. It varies from state to state. In TN for example it's illegal for any kind of covering on the plate (we only run rear plates). Although it doesn't seem to be enforced consistently from county to county.

Always wonder if they use the intersection cameras for more than just traffic flow. There was someone who rigged an old-school timing light in his car to trip the ambulance lights, and got busted because they found his car flashing at an intersection. I believe they used the intersection cam to find the perp.

Having a strobe light might attract attention from the snoop cameras out there.

Always wonder if they use the intersection cameras for more than just traffic flow.

These days most cameras are use to find law breakers after the fact.

Police will even go door to door of people that have cameras outside their property in the surrounding area of a crime scene to get video of cars leaving the area.

It's a new age.

D

Maybe you don't understand what INFRARED LED's do. They're invisible. Stare into your TV remote and push the button...invisible. So, nothing illegal about 120 or 1200 LED's on a plate.

And you might want to read the legal code regarding license plate covers in your state...cop discretion, but you could be ticketed. Take a look. And see if you can find any code relative to "blinding" the oncoming traffic with a plate angle. I'd be interested in that.

If you use nophoto or ghost, please post your comments. If not, your guess is good as mine.

And if you understand how cameras work, you will understand that illuminating one spot in an otherwise normal photo will burn that spot and make it illegible. Exposure needs to be even across the board for a normal capture.
lmao.... you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how traffic camera lights function.

the traffic light cameras use IR floodlights which means they illuminate your car with IR and they use an IR cut filter to read the license plate. humans can't see in the IR spectrum but the camera can with the special IR filter. What you see when you get flashed is a regular camera that takes a picture of the driver.

the traffic camera light has to be sequenced with a flash in order to distort the picture. NoPhoto times and fires the flash at the exact moment needed to overexpose the traffic camera and therefore distorting the plate image.

so ur illuminating one spot idea and exposure across the board theory doesn't hold water! you don't think the inventor of Noplate already thought of ur brilliant idea? lol