TR engine removal in 1 hour.

Mike T

I'm about to pull my motor and the first time it took me 3 hours to pull the motor and trans separate.

After talking to a friend the other night I was left feeling slow....he had taken his car to a shop that specializes in TRs and they had his out in 1 hour. This guy has a nice car and he won't settle for a hack job so I know it was done right.

Is 1 hour on par for the guys that do it all the time in a fully optioned car?

Last edited:
Wow, not for me, I don't do it all the time. Front mount car is easier though.

It was a front mount car but on the other hand it's also a show quality car with a bunch of dress up stuff that would need to be addressed. LOL I would have spent an hour wrapping stuff up so it didn't get scratched.

It can be done, althoug . Im sure someone is exaggerating a little. KKeywords here..specializes in TRs, and shop . More help on the labor side of things. Youre right on with 3 hrs...good job slow poke.

Anyone who does something on the regular ,will hands down be faster and more efficient with someone who does not. That's with anything.

It can be done, althoug . Im sure someone is exaggerating a little. KKeywords here..specializes in TRs, and shop . More help on the labor side of things. Youre right on with 3 hrs...good job slow poke.

You have brought up an excellent point and I will give my thoughts on it.

I believe the removal time to be true. Now what's screwed up about this is that a customer my believe he is being taken advantage of if you pull his motor in 1 hour and charge him say 4 hours.....NOT SO.

I've worked flat rate (body shop) over the years and it's very hard to even double your time IE do a 2.0 job in 1.0 and the labor is split in such a way that the tech isn't getting rich by any means.

Bottom line is that if a guy can beat the book time and give you a quality job NEVER question how long it took him because he has though out every move he is going to make and what tools he will be using well ahead of time. I would much rather have a guy who can truly get it done quick and correct over a guy who is trying to decide what his next move will be over coffee while responding to text.

Having a 1 mile long extension and a 9/16 wobble socket (coupled with a lift) is probably worth almost an hour buy itself.

Having a G-body SLIC is about a :45 penalty.

Really depends on the exact car and the owners setup.

For bell housing bolts? I love my super long impact extension for that reason. 1/2" drive on one end for gun, 3/8" on the other with snap on impact swivel 3/8" sockets are a life saver

Having a 1 mile long extension and a 9/16 wobble socket (coupled with a lift) is probably worth almost an hour buy itself.

Having a G-body SLIC is about a :45 penalty.

Really depends on the exact car and the owners setup.

For sure having the equipment is key.
Other problems include broken, rusted or stripped bolts and not to mention following the work of a hack.

How often do you pull the motor from your car?? I would be more worried about doing it right and not messing anything up...I know a guy who cracked one of the inner fender wells pulling a motor and someone who cracked the header panel...I'm sure others have stories as well...Your not going to compete with a shop that specializes TR's and why would you want to??

My motor has been out 1 time since the car was new and I did the heads twice in the car. I'm about 90 percent sure that I've got a HG failure on the passenger side so rather than fight the A/C box to head stud clearance the motor is most likely coming out.

Not trying to one up the shop I just though that was an amazing removal time and my hats off to the tech.

Last edited:
Knowing exactly what you're doing in exactly what order is easily worth some major time. Add to that knowing exactly what wrench you're going for next, and throw in some nice snapon battery tools and yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The very first time i pulled the motor . . . Took me about 5-6 hours on my back. I have a few special tools and it now takes about 3-4 hours . . . . Still on my back. Not sure I am proud of my accomplishments (or lack of . . . :eek: ) that ultimatly led me to getting quicker. lol.

I have had more than my share of issues with my car...
Engine and tranny have been out 5 times...
The first time took about 6 hours by myself. I can now have it on a stand with the heads and intake off in 3.5 hours. If I had a lift I could easily take an hour off of that.
With several people working on it, an hour is not out of the question.

Bryan

with a knowledgable "assistant" I had mine out and on the stand in 45 min. This was the 3rd time I have pulled it over the years. Air tools makes it lots faster.

I'm about to pull my motor and the first time it took me 3 hours to pull the motor and trans separate.

After talking to a friend the other night I was left feeling slow....he had taken his car to a shop that specializes in TRs and they had his out in 1 hour. This guy has a nice car and he won't settle for a hack job so I know it was done right.

Is 1 hour on par for the guys that do it all the time in a fully optioned car?
Back in the day, and yeah im old enough to say that now , me and a buddy would do it in about 90 minutes not working very hard, just deliberate steady work we each new what was needed and that allowed time to not tear anything up. Between the two of us we probly had 40-50 motor pulls under our belt. Change a tranny out 1 hour. Injectors 20 minutes. I wish I had that energy level today, It sucks getting old. Any how good job on your first time My first took me about the same as you.

I can do it fast but not that fast and I usually pull the trans too. Depends a lot on the who has had their hands on it prior. I've worked on some that are a mess. One thing after another. Others are cut and dry but the majority of them are a mess. A lot of factors to be worked in.

The very first time i pulled the motor . . . Took me about 5-6 hours on my back. I have a few special tools and it now takes about 3-4 hours . . . . Still on my back. Not sure I am proud of my accomplishments (or lack of . . . :eek: ) that ultimatly led me to getting quicker. lol.

Poor lighting and working on your back sucks for sure.