Tough knock question

It's been a while since I hooked mine up I believe I used a plug and play harness from Casper the extra wire you speak of is a shift light function with the ses light and maybe a couple of added features I don't use I still have timing and fuel control with out it being hooked up and basis is all I need for what I do with the car I also run alky

It's been a while since I hooked mine up I believe I used a plug and play harness from Casper the extra wire you speak of is a shift light function with the ses light and maybe a couple of added features I don't use I still have timing and fuel control with out it being hooked up and basis is all I need for what I do with the car I also run alky

How are you changing your timing then? You run a TT chip?

I don't know what extra wire you are talking about. I have the plug-n-play harness. I have a 2 step and i had to cut the timing wire.

The wire that runs from the ecu to the grey wire under the center console. It enables you to change the parameters of the top row of cells on a bob bailey chip.

Yes, but they don't have a lot of spare time. It's ok, I have a few more avenues of approach to try yet :) This fight ain't over yet.

Last edited:
I admire your tenacity keep at it. If nothing else you will have a better understand of your car and it's quirks.

I admire your tenacity keep at it. If nothing else you will have a better understand of your car and it's quirks.

Thank you sir :) I dam sure am learning a lot lol. I've already read a third of my auto electrical and electronics text book, and yesterday was my first day of class lol. This teacher has absolutely no clue of the barrage of quetions that is aimed at him next class session.

Thank you sir :) I dam sure am learning a lot lol. I've already read a third of my auto electrical and electronics text book, and yesterday was my first day of class lol. This teacher has absolutely no clue of the barrage of quetions that is aimed at him next class session.

These cars are a great introduction to modern cars, I was clueless regarding EFI and boost when I got mine but armed with my scan tool I diagnose all my modern vehicles now. The technology introduced on the GN is now common place on all modern cars.
I will never go back to a carb and distributor even if I was to build an all out race car it would be a boosted EFI LS.

For sure. An O2 equipped computerized car is the way to go. Leaves a lot less hp on the table when all is said and done.

Ok, cleaned both mafs off with maf cleaner, put the stocker from 1987 back on, and she runs like a champ. (for stock boost and timing levels that is. still feels slow to me) The AFRs don't quickly jet down to the 9's while lightly accelerating like the new maf does. This new maf's cal is just ate up like a tomato soup sandwich. Tell me how this 27 year old maf still works while the new one doesn't.
I was flying around today with both mafs in my car, running a few miles on one maf, then pulling over, switching them around, changing the setting on the translator, then driving around some more. I did this 5 times back to back. The old maf has no spots in it where it enrichens the mixture too much. I wouldn't doubt the 45 different harnesses you have to plug in to get the maf to plug in to the original connector have something jacked up inside of them either.

Whaddya say, try a new maf? Does Full Throttle exchange them? lol.
Also, it looks like I'm running about 17 psi on pump gas (with factory timing that is) Is that right for a TA61? Isn't a TA61's 17 psi like a stockers 21 psi or so? This at 17 psi's not heating up the air as much as stocker at 21 though right?

Last edited:
the 61 at 17 psi will be and feel slower than the stocker at 17 psi.the bigger turbos require more boost to shine on a stock motor.

Why is that? Is it just too slow a spooler?

Ok, just threw another twist on the wastegate rod, and added 3 percent wot fuel. Going to check er out tomorrow with these settings.

Last edited:
I don't use the wire u r talking about,I just use the Gen2 I bought my maf off ebay for cheap. My stock maf was having similar issues but not as bad. 17# on a 61 doesn't feel slower than a stocker at 17# mine is 3/10 quicker and 4mph faster than stocker @20# on race gas. I don't have any times since the gen2 install

Are u sure u have the setting in the gen2 correct for the maf? Is the chip the extender or extender extreme? They "scale" the maf signal differently so could the chip setting in the gen2 be set wrong? Have you tried using the TT chip with the ls maf with gen2 maf output set to stock gn maf?

Are u sure u have the setting in the gen2 correct for the maf? Is the chip the extender or extender extreme? They "scale" the maf signal differently so could the chip setting in the gen2 be set wrong? Have you tried using the TT chip with the ls maf with gen2 maf output set to stock gn maf?

The chip's extreme g alky. And no, I haven't used the ls maf with the output set to gn stock. Why, would that change anything? I thought it wouldn't run because the setting's wrong. I can try it though. Hold on.

Edit: I did it and it didn't run right. Idled all jacked up.

Last edited:
Tell me how this 27 year old maf still works while the new one doesn't.

Because the signal from the LS1 maf goes through the Gen2 translator which modifies the signal so that 1) it's compatible with the GN maf and 2) to affect some tuning of the car.

From the Gen2 Manual:

The primary function of the MAF Translator Gen-II is to allow the user to
adjust the air-fuel ratio of their engine. This is accomplished by adjusting
the amount of airflow the Engine Computer Module (ECM) or Engine
Control Unit (ECU) perceives is entering the engine. If the ECM/ECU
senses less airflow is entering the engine, it will command less fuel be
injected into the engine, thus making the Air/Fuel ratio "leaner". If the
airflow signal is reduced by 1%, the resultant fuel delivery will be less by
1%. For example, an engine is consuming 100 grams of air per second, and
the ECU is delivering fuel for 12:1 Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR). If the airflow
signal to the ECU is reduced to 95 grams per second (-5%), the ECU will
delivery fuel for this amount of air. The resulting AFR will be 12.6:1 (5%
leaner).

Oh yea, I know that. (what the out & inputs should be) I was just answering his question about which bailey chip I own. The TT chip appears to be working the best thus far. Going to try a brand new maf from the store today to see if that runs super rich as well.