totally stock 87gn with ta-49 boosting slow

681, I'm trying to figure out how to PM you back and the only thing I haven't tried is throwing this damn blackberry through the driveway. I'm interested just wanna day or 2 to check CHristmas/GN budget :). Thanks man

Ok got another thought! One of you guys said something about an adjustable waste gate actuator?? Could this help my low end torque cause if I have to change a lot, I may end up sending off my old turbo to fix and re-install it. I like that my car is completely stock (except for turbo of present) and the looks from other GN owners that have never seen 1 not tampered with. If I can get my torque back and even lose a little on top end that's fine or do you think I'm just gonna restrick the 49 too much so that its slower than stock is what I'm really asking. Thanks again.

Ok got another thought! One of you guys said something about an adjustable waste gate actuator?? Could this help my low end torque cause if I have to change a lot, I may end up sending off my old turbo to fix and re-install it. I like that my car is completely stock (except for turbo of present) and the looks from other GN owners that have never seen 1 not tampered with. If I can get my torque back and even lose a little on top end that's fine or do you think I'm just gonna restrick the 49 too much so that its slower than stock is what I'm really asking. Thanks again.

No, if you want to leave your car pretty much stock and want the most torque down low then you need to go back to the stock turbo. Generally speaking the larger the turbo the more lag you get, you can supplement a larger turbo with other parts such as higher stall converter and improve your bottom end torque in that way. Keep in mind there are often times certain trade offs one must make when upgrading their car.

You have a precision ta-49 and they recommend at least a 2600 stall with that turbo. I strongly suggest you spend time reading through the articles on gnttype.org it will answer many of the initial questions you have with being a new TR owner.

Turbocharger Specifications

No, if you want to leave your car pretty much stock and want the most torque down low then you need to go back to the stock turbo. Generally speaking the larger the turbo the more lag you get, you can supplement a larger turbo with other parts such as higher stall converter and improve your bottom end torque in that way. Keep in mind there are often times certain trade offs one must make when upgrading their car.

You have a precision ta-49 and they recommend at least a 2600 stall with that turbo. I strongly suggest you spend time reading through the articles on gnttype.org it will answer many of the initial questions you have with being a new TR owner.

Turbocharger Specifications

I totally agree with this, owner needs to read this.....some performance upgrades have a trade off......one of the few that don't is anything you can do to lighten up the car and stiffen it up....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have just installed a TA-49 turbo on a totally stock 87 grand national. It boost's much different than when the stock one was on. I'm not sure why or if this is a normal thing but I felt like I had a much stronger boost with my factory turbo. Can't get the new turbo over 11 or 12 lbs of boost standing on the floorboard... any help would be awesome, thanks homies...hahaah

for 50 bucks you can try an rjc bleeder valve. this may help your spool up. see if there is anyone near you that has one that you can try one

for 50 bucks you can try an rjc bleeder valve. this may help your spool up. see if there is anyone near you that has one that you can try one

I've tried it on a TE44.63 garrett, it helps but it isn't as fast spooling as a stock turbo with the stock D5. I am currently using the RJC on the stock turbo too, so its really fast spooling. I went back to a stock turbo on the GN after testing the 44 that had been sitting in a box for years to make sure it worked. Instead of rebuilding the stock turbo, put a better converter in. When I had a 3000 stall and TE44 it was insane on the street

Unless you plan on changing the converter and ex housing and running high octane fuel with an aggressive down low timing curve your spool will be slower than stock. There is no way you can get it faster without more exhaust energy. Some will say otherwise but we know the truth. There is little to no power advantage over stock unless you are going to run 17+psi

Unless you plan on changing the converter and ex housing and running high octane fuel with an aggressive down low timing curve your spool will be slower than stock. There is no way you can get it faster without more exhaust energy. Some will say otherwise but we know the truth. There is little to no power advantage over stock unless you are going to run 17+psi

I agree. That 49 will spool slower than the stocker. Only way around that is looser converter. The rest is a bandaid on a wound needing stitches.

If thats the way you want to go and you want to sell the ta49 let me know I was going to get a TE44 in the next week or too. ill be over your way this week I Ican bring my stock turbo to you to if you want to give it a try to see if your happier with a stock one .

I don't know which way I wanna go. Guess I need to find out where to buy a coverter and how much rebuilding my stock turbo will run. I don't mind upgrading power at all with the 49, I just want to make sure that will be decently safe on my motor with a good tune.

A converter will cost you from 300 to 600 . I dont know what a rebuild would cost last one I had done was $395 but that was a whiel back. It may be cheaper and easier if you bought a new te44 and ran the stock converter. I can bring you my extra stock turbo to use for now until you decided what you want to do.
As for safe if you can get a set of injesctors and ship from TT for I think $350 for one of his package deals then all you need is a pump hot wire kit and an adjustable fuel presure reg. And some way to monitor knock so when you do turn up the boost you can keep an eye on that. with that ta49 you can run in to a need for more fuel so you will need alky sooner or later if you plan un turninging up the boost.

It may be cheaper and easier if you bought a new te44 and ran the stock converter. I can bring you my extra stock turbo to use for now until you decided what you want to do.
QUOTE]
UMMM TE-44 and TA-49 are the same I guess I dont understand this comment at all?

Your also gonna need more fuel for that 49 to work right through the chip or get a chip burnt for it, i do agree that a converter change would help the slow spool, and either get a high flow cat. or remove it if you can, my Portorque 3200- 3400 spools my 49 instantly

QUOTE]
UMMM TE-44 and TA-49 are the same I guess I dont understand this comment at all?[/QUOTE]

I would have thought this too but any time someone on here asks what convertor do I need for a TE-44 the experts say the stock one will work great. Ask for a TA49 and they if it has garret housing stock will work if not a convertor is needed. From the way I understand it both turbos are capable of producing close to the same power but the TE44 starts its power at a lower RPM then the TA49 does

I have a ported stock turbo if you're interested. It spooled faster than my non ported stock turbo, and it would be a happy medium power wise between a ta-49 and a stock turbo.

Ok with all the info given I'm thinking the stock turbo is a good idea for me. I really don't think changing out all these parts is what I'm looking to do. I would like a little more ummpff but wanna keep the car decency stock. Sounds like fuel, chip, exhaust and intake may be the type stuff I'm looking for. Almost have came to the conclusion that I have lost hp going to this 49, as is, over stock. Guess you have to build around a turbo. Ok thank you guys and I may be interested in that used turbo.

It’s not easy but there are guys on here in the 11s with a stock turbo. I would still upgrade the fuel pump hot wire the pump and get a new TT chip and maybe down the road new injectors that alone will make a big difference in how the car runs.