too hot w/FMIC

"More Boost"

Major Member
ok, my TR used to run at 190'
since i installed mega FMIC it runs 205 consistently, i have a brand new 3 core high fin count radiator core. what are my option's? 205 is too hot for me, would a 2 core aluminum rad. cool any better? my 3 core is the old brass type stuff. please, any help would be appreciated.

rad

The aluminum dissipates heat much quicker than brass--and a lot more money to keep that investment cool. 15 degrees cooler with alum

FWIW I see your running 36lb injectors and does'nt look like you have a ton of big HP mods. Seems the huge intercooler is overkill for what you have. If it's a big IC you "want" then no prob. but seems you could go with a good SLIC and save money on your cooling issues all at the same time.

WOW !!! all other front mount owners never have this problem :rolleyes::p Can't be :eek: Sorry couldn't resist :cool:

A dual fan setup will most likely fix the issue and its cost effective.

The biggest issue with 3 core rads are the gaps between the rows. Gaps create air turbulence. More gaps more turbulences, more turbulence less airflow thru the cores for heat dissipation. Aluminum rads do dissipate heat better but not that much better than copper/brass rads. Fin pitch and number of rows play a big role.

Is your 3 core rad a one or two pass rad? Two pass rads require a high flow h20 pump.

Of course it's going to run hotter, you put a damn "Billboard" in front of your radiator!! lol

I have the a large Front mount I/C, $99.00 F-body radiator W/ 160* T-stat and dual fans on my car and in 98* weather in the city, it's rare to see it go over 180*.....

If you ask me, when you decide to go with a huge Front Mount I/C you might as well plan on a dual fan set up..

GNS

AND, the fact he's running a "high fin count" radiator is hurting almost as bad as the FMIC!!

Been there, done that!!!!

It's evident by the fact that he was running 190 BEFORE the fmic is telling enough!!!!

Of course it's going to run hotter, you put a damn "Billboard" in front of your radiator!! lol

I have the a large Front mount I/C, $99.00 F-body radiator W/ 160* T-stat and dual fans on my car and in 98* weather in the city, it's rare to see it go over 180*.....

If you ask me, when you decide to go with a huge Front Mount I/C you might as well plan on a dual fan set up..

GNS

+1 Get the $99 Radiator from Auto Zone and dual fans from gbody parts and the upgraded electric wiring harness from racetronix. Here are some links
http://www.racetronix.com/RX-G7-DFH.html
GBodyParts.com Online
TurboBuicks.com - Upgrade To The F-Body Radiator
The front mount just got more exspensive, but I can't say anything..... I have one also and I wouldn't trade/sell it. By the best the 1st time and never upgrade again, just my thoughts.

Chuck

+1 on the dual fans and harness
Running 3 core copper I run 170 unless it real hot in traffic

also make sure the plastic that surounds the inner grill to guid air through the rad is still in it it wil help alot.

F body radiator here as well. I went to Lowes and bought the black foam water-pipe insulation with the slit in it and went all the way around my stock fan shroud assembly to seal it against the radiator for better air flow. The car runs 170-172 in the heat with the AC on. The stock radiator was reading near 200 cruising. Big difference with the F body rad.

Bryan

My car ran 170 tops (ask "Sullen" he owns it now). It had a HE 3 row and a Precision front mount. Maybe it was the timing I ran, or the mixture I ran, but I never had problems with running hot, well, I did when I had a leaking HG, but other than that, none.

hello people; To you guys talking about having those low coolant temp. readings. Are you runnun any coolant additive and what coolant are you using?
IBBY

hello people; To you guys talking about having those low coolant temp. readings. Are you runnun any coolant additive and what coolant are you using?
IBBY
NO added coolant additive for me just regular antifreeze...

IBBY

I run a 50/50 mix with a bottle of RMI25 and a bottle or water wetter... I use peak antifreeze and distilled water... I have a RJC frt mount, f-body 1 core radiator, dodge intrepid fans, racetronix pnp harness..... I drove the car to work. Expected temps here in st. Louis are around 100 degrees with a heat index around 110... I will post back this afternoon with my temps.... Going to work they were 164-174 and it's already mid 80s at 7am

ps I am assuming everyone already has a 160 thermostat