Tom's Turbo Garage - Grand National videos

You know I use to say if your having a bad day two things put a smile on your face. Kids and dogs. Now I am placing a third Toms video
! Great work Tom . The twinkie had me roltflmao.

Hi All!

Here's the latest video, where we take the old Grand National for a drive to see how it performs after all of the changes we've made over the last 6 months. Thank you for checking it out!

-Tom

Great video. Looks much better with the stock rims and drag radials. Beautiful car. Well done.

If your at the dyno, the best thing to do to avoid the kick down is to leave it in drive, not over drive to avoid the kick down and roll into it.

Great video. Looks much better with the stock rims and drag radials. Beautiful car. Well done.

If your at the dyno, the best thing to do to avoid the kick down is to leave it in drive, not over drive to avoid the kick down and roll into it.

Thank you for the kind words Mike! I love your car. I agree about the stock wheels and will definitely be leaving them on. Thank you also for the dyno advice, I'll definitely try that if I go again. The dyno operators suggested disconnecting the TV cable, but that seemed way off base. I said "no, thanks" and called it a day.

Thank you for the kind words Mike! I love your car. I agree about the stock wheels and will definitely be leaving them on. Thank you also for the dyno advice, I'll definitely try that if I go again. The dyno operators suggested disconnecting the TV cable, but that seemed way off base. I said "no, thanks" and called it a day.

Sounds like a good way to lose a trans! He probably thought the TV cable was a kick down cable. Older cars had vacuum operated TV set ups and the cable made it drop a gear. Your tv cable controls the pressures inside the trans at WOT.

Tom, you need to increase your driveshaft speed to keep it from kicking down. I think around 60-65 is about where you need it. Good dyno none the less!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Nice video and good time at the track. My only critic is mounting the Scanmaster in the glovebox. To me it's way too important to hide away and even if the door is left open it's a safety hazard to look at it for knock retard. I keep mine right in the line of sight.

Hey Tom, very very nice! Love your road test & drag footage. Too bad about the Dyno & V-box fail . That's what you get with an over-abundance of torque! :) Again well done my friend!

Sounds like a good way to lose a trans! He probably thought the TV cable was a kick down cable. Older cars had vacuum operated TV set ups and the cable made it drop a gear. Your tv cable controls the pressures inside the trans at WOT.

Tom, you need to increase your driveshaft speed to keep it from kicking down. I think around 60-65 is about where you need it. Good dyno none the less!

Yes, they don't ever see GNs on their dyno, and I knew the function/importance of the TV cable, so I politely declined that offer. :) Thanks for the tip, I may dyno it again someday, I really do prefer the track though.

Nice video and good time at the track. My only critic is mounting the Scanmaster in the glovebox. To me it's way too important to hide away and even if the door is left open it's a safety hazard to look at it for knock retard. I keep mine right in the line of sight.

Thank you! Regarding the scanmaster, does everyone really watch theirs like a hawk? I guess my tune isn't aggressive enough!

Seriously though, for a street car I've never liked a tune/setup where I have to constantly keep a close eye on things in fear of blowing up. I have tuned/tested with the scan master while datalogging my wideband and everything is safe under all conditions - idle, cruise, tip in, launch, wot, etc. I guess I'm just conservative, but I'll give up 30-50hp to have the luxury of not worrying about it.

Hey Tom, very very nice! Love your road test & drag footage. Too bad about the Dyno & V-box fail . That's what you get with an over-abundance of torque! :) Again well done my friend!

Thank you John, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, the dyno was a bummer as was the Vbox test. I've found now that the drag radials will hook on the street under most conditions if they are aired way down and are really hot. I would bet that wider ones would make a big difference!

hello; Nice job with all your work and any ideas to what's next? What tires are on the 16" rim just curious.
IBBY

Thank you John, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, the dyno was a bummer as was the Vbox test. I've found now that the drag radials will hook on the street under most conditions if they are aired way down and are really hot. I would bet that wider ones would make a big difference!

The 255/ 60 ET's you're using are taller than the stock gums. you could have gone to 275-50-15's to retain the stock 26.1" and give you more contact patch at the same time. Probably worth another .10 or so short times. Yes would love to see you try the V-box again with hot gums! keep up the good work! BTW i took my T to work today. God i love these cars! :)