To lower or not..?

Timbuick

I'd like my GN to sit a little lower, close up the gap between wheel arches and tyres and to improve handling. Car is riding on GNX replica 16s with 245 x 50 tires.
Just interested in opinions of those who have done it, regretted it, enjoyed it etc..
I've read the article by Scott on the DNS package which sounds great, but is above my budget, currently.

I added Eibach springs and Biltstein shocks to my car and they were 2 of my favorite mods. The ride quality actually improved.

I'd like my GN to sit a little lower, close up the gap between wheel arches and tyres and to improve handling. Car is riding on GNX replica 16s with 245 x 50 tires.
Just interested in opinions of those who have done it, regretted it, enjoyed it etc..
I've read the article by Scott on the DNS package which sounds great, but is above my budget, currently.

What lowering I did to my car, I accomplished for next to nothing. I changed my rear springs by installing Camaro springs and spring isolators I got from the junkyard. The narrower coils also afford more room for exhaust systems. A couple ways to lower the front is to get springs from a regular G-body at the boneyard, or you can cut half a coil off of your existing springs. No need to go over budget to accomplish this task.

Thanks Red, litle bit difficult getting boneyard parts although not impossible as i'm in the UK. Did the regular Regal have alower/softer ride height than the GN?

I do have a new pair of rear cargo springsin the yard, but assumed that without load, they would actually raise the car.

i to am intrested in lowering my car. i know that my regular regal was lowered and it handled great. and as for my gn. im looking to lower it. so i will see how this turns out. i was thinking about cutting my springs all around but then it becomes a stiffer ride im told.

Thanks Red, litle bit difficult getting boneyard parts although not impossible as i'm in the UK. Did the regular Regal have alower/softer ride height than the GN?

I do have a new pair of rear cargo springsin the yard, but assumed that without load, they would actually raise the car.

Yes, regular Regals had coils that were not quite as thick. Usually, installing a set of these will drop the car between 1 and 2". Sorry, I didn't realize you were in the UK and imagine it's not quite as easy to find parts. :(

i to am intrested in lowering my car. i know that my regular regal was lowered and it handled great. and as for my gn. im looking to lower it. so i will see how this turns out. i was thinking about cutting my springs all around but then it becomes a stiffer ride im told.

Yeah, if you can get to a boneyard and purchase some springs from any regular, not hi-performance G-body, it will work. I've done it on a number of cars. And, get a set of rear springs with the isolators off a 83 thru 92 Camaro or Firebird. It has a loop at the bottom that fits that on the rear, but the tops are open but will sit in the isolator which is a couple inches thick. I've even used an isolator on one side and none on the other to correct a pretty common problem with G-bodies .. one side sitting higher than the other. There is no downside using the F-body springs. Ride is good.

Not a slammed, but low enough ....

Thanks Red, that car does sit nicely and there are 3rd gen Camaros in our breaker yards. I'll start looking.

Our cars sit so high, lowering is a great easy way to improve the overall looks. Done right the ride is as good or better than factory.

G-body fronts (non hi-po) and 83-92 Camero or firebird rears w/ isolators. Nice...might even cut a half off the fronts just to be sure...

They make lowering spindles that will drop the front end 2" but you want to stay away from those cause of the bump steer issues they cause. Try to stick with lowering springs.

I have several sets of LS! 4th gen camaro/firebird rear springs from cars I have a had. If someone wants a set I can do 20.00 plus ship. I have ws6, slp, eibach, etc.

I did hotchkis and bilsteins and I love it . Feels great, handles great and looks even better.

hello peoples: Hey Mario65 it's time to add a new toy to your toybox. You must of seen the 2011 Ducati Diavel? It would look nice with your Monster.
IBBY

I did hotchkis and bilsteins and I love it . Feels great, handles great and looks even better.

hello peepi: Do you have a good connection (where did you get them) on them springs.
thanks
IBBY

hello peepi: Do you have a good connection (where did you get them) on them springs.
thanks
IBBY

Hotchkis springs: ebay used but nice
Hotchkis bars here used but nice
bilsteins here used but nice

I only like used bikes and cars. I dont like depreciation or giving my money away. I might buy one a few years from now. Right now my turbo monster has stolen my heart.

Great mod.

My car is 1" lower at all four corners. It drives, looks and hooks great. Bilstein shocks all around. Stock tires up front. 28" (275-60-15) tires out back. Did a 1.39 short time, two days ago at the track. Only changes were drag shocks up front and loose the sway bar.

008.jpg

012.jpg

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

That car really does sit well. Just one question, Mike. You say the car is lowered 1" all round. How was that achieved with the mods you refer to without lowering springs or did I miss something?

Tim, you can have the same results if you pull off those perhaps 25.5" tall rear tires from your car and put on some gigundo 28" tall tires in the back. Taller tires in the rear do have a tendency to make the car sit higher in the back. :D