I want it to handle like a vette

85 ttypewh1

fire fighter
I have a 85 ttype t-top car with rear seat, underhood, and underbody braces. I have a dual airbag setup in rear, factory front and rear sway bars. I am in the process of installing 16 inch gta front wheels in all 4 corners with 245-50-16 in front and 265-45-16 in the rear. I have a clearance issue up front so i installed 1.25 spacers in the front and 1.75 inch spacers in the rear to make the tires fit good in the wheel well with the gnx fender flares. The car rides like a caddy just floating down the road and with the above spacers installed with the old ttype wheels and tires that are 215-60-15 with the slightest dip in the road or pulling into a driveway the tire rubs the fender lip. The car sits level with a slight rake to the front and i really dont want to lower it any, the top of the tire to fender lip is about 2.5 -3 inches. I just want to stiffen it up through springs or shocks or whatever. I had a 90 vette with the switchable suspension it went from touring to sport to race or something that and had that thing handle like it was on rails which is what i want, if i cant get it switchable like that then the most road course setup is what i want. I had a 94 stang supercharged with 90/10 and 50/50 with bags and skinnys up front and then switched to a roush performance suspension and liked it alot better. I did a search and found nothing about how to upgrade to vette type handling so i am asking here. Can anyone give me a recipe or tell me where to find such a article. I will now go thru all 42 pages of the suspension forum one by one to try and find something. Thanks for any help.
Greg

Hey 85 i may have something you might be interested in , im in the process of switching my susp over to a drag set up Shocks / Springs etc . The car has Blisten shocks front and rear , 36mm hollow bar up front and Heavy springs front i think they are the 600 + lb rate ones, Moog 5660 comes to mind but id have to check , and heavy cargo springs for the rear . Add your own ATR rear bar and some good lower control arms and youd be pretty happy . If you really want to get crazy global west and some other sell some stuff for the front A arms . Anyway ill sell the Front Bar / shocks / and springs . $ 150 the 4 shocks / $100 the 4 springs / Front sway bar $20 with hardware endlinks etc . $270 you pay ship. its all used but about 1 year of road time . Mail me if your interested Galoush@hotmail.com Having an 04 Corvette ZO6 to compare your gonna be still a ways off ,but its alot beter than the stock set up if you want the car to handle better

I gave up on this site for this thread. the other tb board gave me at least 50 replies. So far i have done bilsteins on all 4 corners, 5662 front springs and cargo rears. I would be interested in the front bar but i have read that it is no different than the stock solid, but let me research and get back to you on it. I am in the market for just 1 gta front dimpless if you have one. Thanks.
Greg.

Its not really that different it saves some weight off the front . So you want to go pretty hardcore i guess , Id think youd have to go 17s at least for wheels with some big meats to really do it right the side wall folding over with the16s would be an issue for all out perf. , Id personally do Metco lowers for the rear control arms and i think global west sells a nice set of tube uppers for the front A arms seting the caster and camber for this type of set up will factor in too , there was an entry a few years ago in Car Craft Real street that was a T type , it had Colorado Customs 17 wheels with big tires all around and it came in like 2nd on the road course with some good times . Comparing it to the vette though might be tough , with the Vette IRS rear / tire combo / low stance and other stuff you know . Well good luck

Contact Marcus at SC&C (contact info below). Currently he has the best suspension setup for handling in G-Bodies out there. Tell him Shane from ATS sent you.

--SAVITSKE CLASSIC & CUSTOM--
Pro-Touring,Hot Rods,Muscle Cars
-Cutting Edge Suspension Products-
NEW SITE! www.SCandC.com scnc@fast.net
(610) 346-8805