to elecrtic fan the stock IC or not?

Mark,

I just took straight edge to it and im comming up with 2-3/8 with fan on ic laying down...said on ad fan was 2.5 so i was going off that plus an 1/8th lip from IC give or take

hmmm maybe there is hope.

Earlier I just eyeballed it with my other ic still installed, and i got a pretty good eye...at least i had one before 10 mins ago...

just got back in from garage, running die grinder and had spark bounce under my safety glasses and pinball into my retna :frown:

Anyway i eyeballed it looking at damper fan etc .
I got my dutt install here in the basement, tig'd that up last week..not bad for a rookie

So hopefully you'll tell me good news

If the fan doesn't fit, let me know. Assuming it can be wired backwards as a pusher fan, dad needs one for an auxiliary on the front of his convertible for the power tour.

I can get the numbers off my fan if anyone is interested. It's a polaris atv fan and WS6FORMULA50 claims he had it mounted up with no clearance issues.

its gonna be a tight fit, how tight...dunno but i'll see what i have to do custom wise.

hard to be the price on this though and it works good

its gonna be a tight fit, how tight...dunno but i'll see what i have to do custom wise.

hard to be the price on this though and it works good

why not reverse it and put it on the other side of the IC , if the scoop will allow it if you are that tight for fit with the pulleys ?

Kwik,

i'll get out there in garage tonight, remove the one and i think only then i can get a good idea then post back insted of sitting here at office goin...oh man it looks tight..lol

more later
Mike

OK, here is what I am doing on my GN. Going to use a window RPM switch that comes on a 500 RPM. Did that so the fan isn't trying to come on when trying to start the car. Upper RPM is going to be adjustable from 1400 RPM to 2200 RPM but if it works out I can get the guy who made the window switch for me to put in some more adjustments if needed.

I am doing this just as a way of combatting any heat soak at low speeds with the theory of increased air flow once you are under way. Will try to work on the car this weekend. This past weekend was spent putting the rear back together. Leaky axle AND pinion seal on my Ford 9". Had to put new brake shoes on as well.

Actually took it on a 15 mile run this afternoon and did a nice linelock burnout in the driveway to remember what burnt rubber smells like.:D

gonna warm up finally, have a ton of winter purchases to install so i'll be yanking my slic and getting read for the dutt install and mocking up fan, hope this one fits if not i'll be looking for a bike fan.

Need to get my cold air mocked up again so i'll know what i need from you..prolly will just order the plain cold air for $145

thanks for update on the switch

any update on this ? My 12" fan came in and it fits the CAS V4 perfect . :) In the instructions it suggest using a relay even with JUST a on/off switch because of the high amperage draw . Is this really need ? if so how do I go about doing this (parts,diagram,etc)? my auto electrical knowledge is min when it comes to relays and such . many thanks .

From what I've been able to figure out the relay hook up would go something like this ;

Pin 30 - BAT
Pin 87 - Fan
Pin 86 - Switch
Pin 85 - Ground

Is this correct ??? Thanks .

if you are going to put a fan on it, put it as high up as possible. the top rows dont get much airflow compared to the bottom. i dont think it would hurt to run it during the whole qtr seeing that the bottom rows hog up most of the air anyways.

No offense, but some of you guys are really overcomplicating this setup with VSS, Tach signals, window switches, etc.

I did this same thing about ten years ago on a guy's car, using a radiator fan from a Honda cycle. I wired a relay to run the fan continuously, but kick off when the trans was in third and fourth gear. Just hook into the 4-pin connector on the trans.

Easy, cheap, worked like a charm.

and I need to find me a honda fan...somthing around 9inch

the 10 inch I bought is real sweet and kicks but it was over 10 inch and it either hits the waterpump nub or the bottom ic mounting plate so anything even slightly over 10 inch is a no go

I only paid 26 bucks for the fan so not out a ton

No offense, but some of you guys are really overcomplicating this setup with VSS, Tach signals, window switches, etc.

I did this same thing about ten years ago on a guy's car, using a radiator fan from a Honda cycle. I wired a relay to run the fan continuously, but kick off when the trans was in third and fourth gear. Just hook into the 4-pin connector on the trans.

Easy, cheap, worked like a charm.

I like things complicated.:biggrin: Enlighten us a little more on your idea for the connector on the trans deal. Little more detail would be helpful.

and I need to find me a honda fan...somthing around 9inch

the 10 inch I bought is real sweet and kicks but it was over 10 inch and it either hits the waterpump nub or the bottom ic mounting plate so anything even slightly over 10 inch is a no go

I only paid 26 bucks for the fan so not out a ton

You aren't going to let a little thing like the water pump nub stop you??? Just cut that baby off. Never could figure out why they have that thing so long to begin with unless it was for other cars that have bigger pulleys and regular fan??

That intercooler bracket could be trimmed back too. And no haven't done mine yet though I did start taking things apart. Too busy and no ambition. Have a long weekend coming up so should be able to tackle it then.

Yeah no kidden...I think im the nub...LOL or just a numb skull

damn thing is longer then my pecker, i should just break out the cut off wheel...errr on the nub...not my pecker but then again if its only as long as the nub then its not doing me or her any good:eek: :p

Yeah no kidden...I think im the nub...LOL or just a numb skull

damn thing is longer then my pecker, i should just break out the cut off wheel...errr on the nub...not my pecker but then again if its only as long as the nub then its not doing me or her any good:eek: :p

More than I needed to know.:smile:

Here's a pic of the 12" mounted on a CAS V4 for those who maybe interested .IMO a prefect fit . :)

Attachments

• Fan IMG_1403.jpg
    Fan IMG_1403.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 250
Update, fan fits fine on my SLIC but the problem is the fan motor is right up against the crank pulley. Knowing that going in, I had a RJC race pulley ready to replace the RJC street pulley and that will allow the highest part of the fan to ride in the recess of the pulley.

Someone also mentioned about putting the fan inside the shroud on the front side of the the intercooler but not sure if that would affect the air flow? It will inside the shroud in my situation, just not sure if I would be hurting things more than helping.

I am also leaning towards doing what was suggested about tapping into the transmission connector but have a couple of questions about that. If you tap into the 3rd gear wire the fan it would stop running when it shifts into DRIVE. Sooooo, what happens with the fan operation when it shifts into OVERDRIVE, does it come back on??? The only time I really use OD is on the highway for longer runs, around town I never shift out of Drive. Wish the guy that originally posted about that would chime in about it. Guess a PM to him wouldn't hurt.:smile:

I am also being told that tapping into the 3rd gear wire on the trans might cause the ECM to mess up? Always thought a ground was a ground?