Intercooler question

CaseyNC

I have an 87 Grand National that's pretty much stock. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago. It does have a little bit bigger turbo by Garrett, I'm not sure the size. I just replaced the old thermostat and radiator with a 160° thermostat and an aluminum radiator and an external trans cooler. Also replaced the stock fan with a dual electric fan unit. I'm thinking of installing a front mount intercooler, I've heard they are better than a stock location replacement but honestly I dont know. My question is do you think I'll have overheating problems with the front mount intercooler and external trans cooler both blocking the radiator? Also do you think I'll be fine as long as I'm driving but have problems when idling?

I like the Powerstroke front mount as is has more cooling area than most, and it is thinner to pass more air.

Any front-mount IC should have special attention in summer weather.

First, no antifreeze in the summer as it does not cool as good as water. Add RMI-25 which will also run cooler.

Contrary to internet "lore" remove the t'stat which will also run cooler in the hot temps.

With AC in 100+ temps our local cars will run 185-190, and dual fans also is a plus.

We have not seen a day under 100 degrees in the last t6 weeks, and have more than 2 additional months to go!

I think you need not worry about a front mount right now there are other things that need to be addressed like your fuel system, something to monitor the engine, fuel regulator, bigger injectors ,things that need to happen before you start to turn the boost up.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Ask Nick for one of his "Nick Neck" stock intercoolers, add Alky Control and you are all set, just my opinion.

A "mostly" stock set up doesn't need a front mount.

Spend your money on other performance/monitoring upgrades first, like a Scanmaster, a hot wire kit for the fuel pump, and Julio's Alky Control Kit, for starters.

I'm thinking timing set, injectors, valve springs, seals, vacuum lines, oil pump pickup, rocker buttons, fuel pump (and hangar mods)....

...you know.... not one single performance part.....

I'm thinking timing set, injectors, valve springs, seals, vacuum lines, oil pump pickup, rocker buttons, fuel pump (and hangar mods)....

...you know.... not one single performance part.....

All good, IF he's doing a rebuild........ Doesn't sound as if he is, at least that's my read here.

He bought it two weeks ago. That car's one big unknown. AKA 'a grenade with the pin pulled'.

I think all that stuff needs to be addressed using the same logic as all guns are loaded(even when they're not).

He bought it two weeks ago. That car's one big unknown. AKA 'a grenade with the pin pulled'.

I think all that stuff needs to be addressed using the same logic as all guns are loaded(even when they're not).

You could be on to something......Whaaaaa???

BANG!!!!!!

Oh, Dang........ :)

Don't even think about a front mount at this point. Get the car 100% correct and go from there. And a precision slic is all you need. But I don't know shit.

Where are you located? It wouldn't hurt to find someone nearby who's familiar with GN's look at it with you. I've seen plenty of "almost stock" GN's with pretty weird stuff going on. How many miles/owners?

Many good opinions in this thread to help you get started on a good basis.

One basis I have used for many years which you should always keep in mind is "boost is restriction"!

The IC, heads, intake, air inlet all need to be considered to allow air into the engine, and a front mount is excellent to air flow.

Be aware other factors must also be considered such as ample fuel at the injector, air/fuel makes HP and you want to verify that your fuel system is up to your performance goals.

At this point a FMIC will give you less restriction which could result in the same or more HP at less boost, at least this is what I found over many years and builds.

We have many local owners which wants more performance, and the way we check out the car is with one of our ECM's with a Powerlogger to obtain data so we are not blind guessing.

I have an 87 Grand National that's pretty much stock. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago. It does have a little bit bigger turbo by Garrett, I'm not sure the size. I just replaced the old thermostat and radiator with a 160° thermostat and an aluminum radiator and an external trans cooler. Also replaced the stock fan with a dual electric fan unit. I'm thinking of installing a front mount intercooler, I've heard they are better than a stock location replacement but honestly I dont know. My question is do you think I'll have overheating problems with the front mount intercooler and external trans cooler both blocking the radiator? Also do you think I'll be fine as long as I'm driving but have problems when idling?

Get on a E85 conversion plan.. that will solve 50% of the potential issues you may have and eliminates the need for a front mount at your level..

Its the single best mod you can do to these cars while increasing the safety net and extending life.