Tired of waxing, buffing and polishing the black paint on my GN...

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I've had my GN since new and now the paint on it is beginning to show it's age. I've always said that a GN should be black but after 27 years I'm getting a little fed up of waxing, buffing and polishing that black paint. :rolleyes: It's like if no matter what precaution you take, there's always a defect here and there sticking out like a sore thumb. :arghh:
I plan to have the car in the future and I'm thinking more and more of going with another colour than black. Yeah I know, I know…I can already hear the so-called purists screaming that it's a "sacrilege" but to that I say that I am the guy doing all that maintenance work! :hungover: I might go with blue, something like in the pics below (these are pics of a car I found on Ebay)...
What do you guys think?

Claude. 201159_7212fc2eb2_low_res.JPG201168_b735c4cc3b_low_res.JPG201160_20d2fc5b3e_low_res.JPG201174_230ce16b88_low_res.JPG

Last edited:
I am a big proponent of doing what you want with your own car. I always hear shit from guys saying things like I wouldnt do this or that if it was mine...

If you like the blue go for it....not my cup of tea...but you gotta love it....not me..

I went thru the same thing with my GN 4 years ago. The original paint was checking, cracking, etc. I was going to repaint it gun metal gray. But my painter talked me into sticking with black. The newer base coat/clear coat paints are so much better and easier to maintain.

I am a big proponent of doing what you want with your own car. I always hear shit from guys saying things like I wouldnt do this or that if it was mine...

If you like the blue go for it....not my cup of tea...but you gotta love it....not me..
Well said and I agree. The only thing I would add is if and when you plan on selling it your market may become limited to people who like the color change as opposed to just keeping it the way its "supposed" to be.

...The newer base coat/clear coat paints are so much better and easier to maintain.

This is a very good point. I haven't buffed or "waxed" my car in 8 years. With modern paint, the spray shine/waxes and a good microfiber are all you need. It hardly even gets a bath anymore; just a dusting and a spray detail.

Nope. Originally they were supposed to be red, which is good looking but still doesn't carry the mystic of only being available in menacing black. On another note I'm thinking of doing flat black wrap. Protect the paint, user friendly, and only a grand.

First thanks guys for your replies. ;)

Now,
The newer base coat/clear coat paints are so much better and easier to maintain.
Well, that's very possible…:)...My car's paint isn't cracked, just full of swirl, a few stone chips here and there, small scratches, mostly what I'd call some "normal" wear and tear of a 27 years old car,etc…Also it was clear coated years ago and they did a so-so job which I'd like to get rid of.
and
The only thing I would add is if and when you plan on selling it your market may become limited to people who like the color change as opposed to just keeping it the way its "supposed" to be.
I also agree but I don't plan to sell the car ever . Back in '87 when I bought it, I swore that I'd keep it "forever"…well I've kept my word! :D
and
Originally they were supposed to be red, which is good looking but still doesn't carry the mystic of only being available in menacing black. On another note I'm thinking of doing flat black wrap. Protect the paint, user friendly, and only a grand.
Yes, I remember that the prototype '83 Gn was red. I have a die cast of it…:) As for flat black, my son is currently having his '87 WE4 refinished in flat black so it's one of the reasons I'd like another colour to be different from his car…;)

Claude.

Heres my two cents and actualy what im doing to my car im sick of waxing buffing and washing and all that crap im purchasing 4 gallons of ready to spray black plastie dip and im going for it i never ever have to worrie about buffing again and uf i ever decide to sell it i spray the solvent on the car peel the dip off and tada my mint metalic black 3 stage paint will still be mint underneat total cost of plastie dipping a car is 450 thats including electric gun to spray the dip on the car
Thats just my 2 cents ladys and gents

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yeah I have no problem with what anyone does to their cars as it's THEIR car. Some people forget that fact. If I hear one more person tell me how my car is worth less because of all the modifications....... Anyway, I too will never sell mine and only care what I like. Make it your own and be proud.

When I painted mine my dad tried for weeks to get me off black, he said it's your car paint it whatever color you want. Now three years later and I'm ready to go with our original plan of a gun metal/charcoal color. It is a love hate thing with a black car, at least when I repaint I can say "been there done that"... Like said earlier it's YOUR car do it how you like...Mike

I like color, black sucks, black is the absence of color but that's what the GN's were available in. I like the Rosewood, or Silver, or Cranberry, White looks ok too, Dark metallic blue (722J or 403P)
Color is fun, do what yah want

I have 2 black cars and it's constant work but then I think about my 68 Cuda which is blue and I wash it every time I drive it so I guess it's as much work too.

The only thing I would think about with the color change is what is going to solve your problem and match the interior. The 2 tone interior might not look that great with blue paint?

I like color, black sucks, black is the absence of color but that's what the GN's were available in. I like the Rosewood, or Silver, or Cranberry, White looks ok too, Dark metallic blue (722J or 403P)
Color is fun, do what yah want
Hold up. Black is the absence of color yet in the the same paragraph you like white. Credibility lost, lol. Disclaimer: I hate white.

IMHO, all dark colors are difficult. I had a dark metalic blue color on my a daily driver and hated it. Impossible to keep clean. If you want to change the color, do it! Your car, your call. It's too far modded to worry about "originality" anyway.