Tired of waxing, buffing and polishing the black paint on my GN...

IMHO, all dark colors are difficult. I had a dark metalic blue color on my a daily driver and hated it. Impossible to keep clean. If you want to change the color, do it! Your car, your call. It's too far modded to worry about "originality" anyway.
It's true that most darker colours require more maintenance for them to look good. My Lincoln MKX is dark blue and I wash it twice a week, but that's ok…I definitely wanted that colour !…:D…But back to my GN…You're also right when you say it's far modded so originality isn't a priority for me…so then…why not go with blue?

Claude. :cool:

I've had my GN since new and now the paint on it is beginning to show it's age. I've always said that a GN should be black but after 27 years I'm getting a little fed up of waxing, buffing and polishing that black paint. :rolleyes: It's like if no matter what precaution you take, there's always a defect here and there sticking out like a sore thumb. :arghh:
I plan to have the car in the future and I'm thinking more and more of going with another colour than black. Yeah I know, I know…I can already hear the so-called purists screaming that it's a "sacrilege" but to that I say that I am the guy doing all that maintenance work! :hungover: I might go with blue, something like in the pics below (these are pics of a car I found on Ebay)...
What do you guys think?

Claude. View attachment 224560View attachment 224561View attachment 224562View attachment 224563
That is a really nice color blue and combination. If I may speak for the majority, most of us still prefer the Black Demon but this is indeed your car and your preference. Remember it will not be considered totally original!

That is a really nice color blue and combination. If I may speak for the majority, most of us still prefer the Black Demon but this is indeed your car and your preference. Remember it will not be considered totally original!
Well about originality, only the body itself is original… Mechanically, it already had a stage II engine, TH400 tranny, Dana60 rear axle, notched frame, roll cage etc…It could always be turned back to stock, but it would require a lot of work and it's not in my plans either.

Claude. ;)

Last edited:
Well I think you already have your mind made up! Do it!! That's why I have a silver TR, black is a pain to keep clean! I learned that with my 96 Impala

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Well about originality, only the body itself is original… Mechanically, it already had a stage II engine, TH400 tranny, Dana60 rear axle, notched frame, roll cage etc…It could always be turned back to stock, but it would require a lot of work and it's not in my plans either.

Claude. ;)
Then I say "go for it"!

Blue t
Two tone t type
Im not fond of the black my self

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1401363282770.jpg
    1401363282770.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 1401363304505.jpg
    1401363304505.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 135
Now I'm going to have to find what blue is that?…The closest I found is the blue found on Mazda 3's (2011-2012 approx)…What do you guys think?

Claude.

Do what I did. I have one of each color and when you're tired of black then drive the white one then change to gun metal when you're finished all the color start over again LOL

I think the blue would look good, minus the stripes. I've seen on that was blue, a little lighter than the pictures you posted, and I thought it looked good just needed to be a little darker. I also know someone who painted there's red but still has the black grill and trim and it looks mean. At the end of the day its your car. Do what you want. If I had another TB it would be white or gun metal, I even thought of painting mine blue for a little while...

I think I would keep it simple and pick a stock color rather than a custom blended one. My favorite blue is the old GM Lucerne Blue. Love T/As that color.

This is a very good point. I haven't buffed or "waxed" my car in 8 years. With modern paint, the spray shine/waxes and a good microfiber are all you need. It hardly even gets a bath anymore; just a dusting and a spray detail.
That is all I do. My car just gets a quick dust with a cali car duster and then detail spray. Much faster than washing and no water spots. My car hasn't been rained on in 16 years.

Last edited:
I color changed to white, since I was so sick of the black and how it shows dirt, swirls, and imperfections. I ALSO wanted to color the interior plastics black and go with a black leather upholstery kit but I ran out of money.....:cry:
One nice thing that I noticed in full sun white is a lot cooler than black especially if you UV tint the windows.

I wouldn't change colour but this is just my opinion. The thing that makes a Grand National so bad is the black paint and that little V6.:cool: It is the make up of that car. Claude you of all people can keep that car perfect and remember its only original paint once. Besides what else would you do if you weren't playing with your car:D If your tired of black sell the Chevelle and buy a Limited:p the best sleeper on the planet;)

I wouldn't change colour but this is just my opinion. The thing that makes a Grand National so bad is the black paint and that little V6.:cool: It is the make up of that car. Claude you of all people can keep that car perfect and remember its only original paint once. Besides what else would you do if you weren't playing with your car:D If your tired of black sell the Chevelle and buy a Limited:p the best sleeper on the planet;)
Thanks Kevin for your reply…You know, after reading all the replies everyone gave me, some positive and some negative, and even though I liked (and still do) that blue color, the more I think about it, the more I'm likely to repaint it BLACK. (y) I agree with you that it makes look badass, mean, etc... and that it's an essential part of the GN theme.
About the paint it has now, the black is original but years ago, I had it clear coated sao I guess that part of "originality" is already gone…:rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone for your replies,

Claude. ;)