Tips for adjusting column linkage

dyermullet

87 TR with factory floor shifter. Had 0 issues with the shifter, replaced the transmission and now have problem. With the column linkage disconnected I can easily shift the car into every gear. With the column linkage attached and adjusted so that park & neutral are correct and the reverse lights work I can barely pull into 3, and cannot get it into 2 or 1.

Looking for some tips on adjusting, or maybe there is something I can lube, or something need rebuilt inside the column.

Thanks

Scott

I can't download the pic for some reason. Send me your E mail and I will send it to ya

column_zps0fdb8fa2.jpg

yes, they all have that column rod thing, when I put my new tranny in I had that rod mis-adjusted and was driving around town with the reverse lights on, in drive. G-bodies have that rod also, back in the day if we broke a shift cable you could shift the tranny with the steering column collar.

Getting that stuff setup right is a lot more involved that people think.

First, you need to take the column rod loose so it's not a factor.

Then, make the detents in the transmission in sync with the shifter lock plate. You want to make sure of things like being firmly in Park, can't go into reverse without pushing the button, etc...

After that, make the shift rod lock the ignition switch and steering wheel in park and unlocked before reverse.

THEN, adjust the ratcheting PRN switch on the top of the column so the reverse lights work correctly. (VERY important if you have an anti-theft chip).

Getting that stuff setup right is a lot more involved that people think.

First, you need to take the column rod loose so it's not a factor.

Then, make the detents in the transmission in sync with the shifter lock plate. You want to make sure of things like being firmly in Park, can't go into reverse without pushing the button, etc...

After that, make the shift rod lock the ignition switch and steering wheel in park and unlocked before reverse.

THEN, adjust the ratcheting PRN switch on the top of the column so the reverse lights work correctly. (VERY important if you have an anti-theft chip).

I had no issue before dropping my trans.

I can get the shifter to trans adjusted properly, then after I connect the column linkage I can get it adjusted so that PRN are all correct. But then it binds up and I can barely shift into 3 and can't get into 2 or 1. P-4 no problems. I did not make any adjustment on top of the column this time.

The illustration is showing column only. And it shows that the 90 degree linkage attaches to the trans from top down, or front to back depending on how you look at it. I checked two friends cars and they both have the linkage the opposite of the illustration. The 90 degree piece attaches to the trans from bottom up, or back to front. They have no issue reaching all the gears. I believe my car was the same as theirs opposite of the illustration.

I have the trans back out of the car right now. Once it is back in I am going to try to see if I can install the linkage the same as the illustration. Maybe I just put it back together wrong. I will also attempt to adjust at the top of the column.

You missed it. You don't adjust the metal rod to make the reverse lights work. It's for the steering and ign lock.

After that's right, then you make the reverse lights right with the white switch inside the car.

Be advised if you bend the bracket that bolts to the pan or the ear next to the firewall just a little bit, you'd be AMAZED just how much that matters. (and throws things out of whack)

You missed it. You don't adjust the metal rod to make the reverse lights work. It's for the steering and ign lock.

After that's right, then you make the reverse lights right with the white switch inside the car.

Be advised if you bend the bracket that bolts to the pan or the ear next to the firewall just a little bit, you'd be AMAZED just how much that matters. (and throws things out of whack)

I understand what you said. Next attempt I will adjust up on the column. I forgot about that adjustment.

If your having issues with the backup lights, turn it clockwise on top of the column until the back up lights come on with the car in reverse and then back off one click.

Man I don't know what its called. I found info here on the site. I dropped the lower cover under the dash, it felt like it sat from about the 9:00 to the 3:00 position on the column. You can grab it and turn it with both hands in either clockwise or counterclockwise positions. I will try to find the article I used.

You have to make sure the column is turned counter clockwise all the way until your able to remove the key, then make sure to have shifter and trans in park, then tighten all your linkage. If the column isnt correctly adjusted, trying to put it into 2 or 1 will not happen.

What is the best way to just remove this linkage and safely secure the steering column? After installing an aftermarket shifter the steering column bracket on the column that attaches to this linkage needs to be locked in place somehow so the column will not accidentally lock while driving. I'd much rather run without it and use the aftermarket shifter neutral safety switch to avoid feeling the extra drag and binding caused by this linkage.

Mike

I am going to resurrect an old thread as this is is one of the last steps to finally driving and completing this frame off. And I need some clarification on this.
Where is this column PRN adjustable white switch??
Here's what I did, just to go thru the steps and make sure I'm right.
With the the lock out rod off the shifter bracket, I adjusted the white thing? that the button on the shifter presses down to unlock the gear shifter. I adjusted that till the shifter firmly locked in place in park, neutral and reverse.
Then I reconnected the lock out rod where it locked and unlocked the steering wheel and in park would allow key to be removed and column locks.
Now I have to adjust so that the reverse lights come on and go off when the should. What am I adjusting? Where is it at? How to do it?

It's under your feet! There is a linkage piece that is connected between the tyranny and a bracket on the frame. There is a rod running from there up to the column link. If you look you can see where that rod runs through the connection and is held tight with a 13mm bolt. Loosen that bolt just enough to allow you to slide that up rod up or down enough for what you're shooting for.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

You are all sorts of helping me today Dave! I have that lock out linkage set in the correct place I think. It locks and unlocks as it should in park and allows the key to be removed.
In post #8 Earl says:
"You missed it. You don't adjust the metal rod to make the reverse lights work. It's for the steering and ign lock.
After that's right, then you make the reverse lights right with the white switch inside the car."

This is the step I am on now. That white switch to make the reverse lights work correctly.

To copy Dave, it is above your feet. It is mounted to the top of the column down by the firewall. I posted pics on a thread here someplace, I'll see if I can find it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

To copy Dave, it is above your feet. It is mounted to the top of the column down by the firewall. I posted pics on a thread here someplace, I'll see if I can find it.

RemoveBeforeFlight
That makes sense if it on the column somewhere, above your feet. Thanks for your help. I was surprised there is not a guided instruction page on Vortex Buicks or on GNTType.org . Even this thread was incomplete.