Timing Chain

I meant no disrespect. I'm sure the TA link chain & billet gears are superior. However, I'm not sure my set up requires that just yet. Hoping for mid to high 11's at this point. I checked TA's website and called them based on your experience. The Pro Gear also looks very nice and is deburred. The improved tensioner mentioned above also peaks my interest.

Actually, TA has it listed as a "Performance Timing set" since this is not a roller chain, but a link chain. The number of this set for a stock-type cam is TA V1522B, for a billet cam it is a TA V1522A.

Using the search function with either part number on their web site will get you to it. :)

Thanks for the info Nick,muchly appreciated
Kevin:cool:

I really hope i dont have a problem....my box is restickered TA 1523A.005 ,,,,BUTalso has rollmaster partnumber cs7020 .5 buick v6 even fire on box.....I THINK ITS TIME TO PHONE TOM AT TA....help

...my box is restickered TA 1523A.005 ,,,,BUT also has rollmaster part number cs7020 .5 buick v6 even fire on box......help

It would be unlikely you would have any issue with that timing set.

You have an undersize set as your engine must have been line bored for steel caps or?

The current Rollmaster timing sets from TA have an updated stronger chain, which so far has proven to be superior to the previous chain.

I have discussed this current chain with the engineers at Cloyes, and they stated it was working fine on 2000 HP big-block builds. They tested my newer Rollmaster chain after many 9 sec. passes, and they could find hardly any stretch or wear. :)

With the crank gear pulling against the cam gear, and all the slop in the chain on the slack side , how much side to side play is normal with a new standard size Rollmaster double roller on a stock, unhoned or line bored block?

You must have some play in the chain as the block will expand when it is hot.

We like to see 1/8" from center, or 1/4" total.

This is why a tensioner important to minimize chain whip, especially when quickly letting off the throttle at high RPM.

You must have some play in the chain as the block will expand when it is hot.

We like to see 1/8" from center, or 1/4" total.

This is why a tensioner important to minimize chain whip, especially when quickly letting off the throttle at high RPM.

Any body time a 7 key way sproket as they show a 9..tell me where positions are please

New TR guy here. This is the first thing I need to do to my limited when it arrives since it has 120k+ miles. So, If I read everything correctly, this is the timing set I need?

http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_1522B

I'm looking for a stock repalcement, but I notice that there's a note that says this set cannot be used with the stock tensioner? Is there another TA timing set that would? If not, where can I find a tensioner that would work with the 1522B?

The set in the TA catalog photo is for a big block Buick and is a double roller. The part number may have been changed to the new V6 link chain with billet gears. I would call TA to discuss, or better yet, call Arizona GN because Nick Macale helped develop it with TA and he may stock it.

The set in the TA catalog photo is for a big block Buick and is a double roller. The part number may have been changed to the new V6 link chain with billet gears. I would call TA to discuss, or better yet, call Arizona GN because Nick Macale helped develop it with TA and he may stock it.
Thanks for that. I just realized this is a double roller. The TA V1522a/b are singles. I have contacted Nick.

Thanks for that. I just realized this is a double roller. The TA V1522a/b are singles. I have contacted Nick.
I typed that into the search on TA's website, but it does not show the compatibility with the 231 v6. But based on you calling Nick, it does right? SO I should not worry about it not saying 231?

I ordered and installed this set up over the winter last year.
Car has stock flat tappet cam, unopened block with bolt ons.
I am very happy with it....car purrrrs now quiet as a kitten.

Just pulled out my bill to verify......so here's what I ordered and installed:

TA 1530A Turbo V6 Timing cover with front seal retention
TA V1394 Timing Chain Damper (tensioner & spring)
TA V1522B High Performance Billet Timing set ( stock style chain) Even Fire

New oil pump gears & cover plate - set oil pump clearances

Now 25-30# oil pressure at idle (fully warm engine)

You will be very happy with this setup.

It looks like TA_V1522B is the new number for the performance link chain set, but there is no photo in the on line catalog.

It looks like TA_V1522B is the new number for the performance link chain set, but there is no photo in the on line catalog.
That's right. Nick verified that is the correct number for the timing set. I had to call TA Performance to order mine since I didn't see it on the website. I also verified with TA that it was a single roller that works with the stock tensioner.

Ok I changed my mind from a Comp roller cam kit to the Isky Billet Cam kit. Do I use the tensioner or not?

From the info I've gathered, a tensioner is preferred. However,The determining factor for a tensioner is whether a double or single chain is used. You don't use a tensioner with a double because the tensioner will get chewed up by the chain. A more experienced member will hopefully chime in to confirm or call me a dumba$$!!!

Very happy with my TA link chain. Too big of a job to do it over. Replacing the chain on my original unopened motor was quite a job in the driveway. Lots of scraping and cleaning. So glad I took the time to pull the oil pan off because there was still coolant on top of the baffle even after draining the oil. I also repainted the front cover and the oil pan.